Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Football

Old 04-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #21
bonham
Dodd-like

Default Re: Perkins and Days get A-back reps

It may be very early, but this move is very telling.

If you had a player who was your solid backup QB, he would NOT be trying out at another position. Days has likely failed to impress at QB. Either that or Vad is on track to be the #2 QB and the coaches are looking for a way to get Days on the field.
bonham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #22
00Burdell
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc79 View Post
Tevin better have a rear view mirror.....
Say what you want about Tevin (not you specifically, etc79 - anyone in general) but I don't think he minds the competition one bit. He strikes me as the kind of young man who will be very happy for himself if he wins it or very happy for the team if he doesn't.
00Burdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 AM   #23
BlackJacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Burdell View Post
Say what you want about Tevin (not you specifically, etc79 - anyone in general) but I don't think he minds the competition one bit. He strikes me as the kind of young man who will be very happy for himself if he wins it or very happy for the team if he doesn't.
This. Tevin is a team first guy.
BlackJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #24
etc79
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Burdell View Post
I agree, I was saying that with a little toungue and cheek...I think he's a great kid for GT, and will do whatever to help the team win.
etc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #25
The Jacket
Dodd-like

I like that Days is taking A-Back reps. I've said it before, I'm not crazy about the idea of another year where it is a legitimate possibility that we'll see Synjyn under center during the season, let alone at any critical points. I'm not at all suggesting that we should just throw all of our eggs into the "build for the future" basket, but if Tevin is definitely going to be our starter then I'd rather see Vad as his backup to get him as prepared for what I assume will be his starting QB role in the near future. I don't think we were going to get a season or any other length of time from Synjyn where he was "the guy" at quarterback, he just does not dazzle me in any way while running point.

Etc.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:22 AM   #26
BlackJacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jacket View Post
I like that Days is taking A-Back reps. I've said it before, I'm not crazy about the idea of another year where it is a legitimate possibility that we'll see Synjyn under center during the season, let alone at any critical points. I'm not at all suggesting that we should just throw all of our eggs into the "build for the future" basket, but if Tevin is definitely going to be our starter then I'd rather see Vad as his backup to get him as prepared for what I assume will be his starting QB role in the near future. I don't think we were going to get a season or any other length of time from Synjyn where he was "the guy" at quarterback, he just does not dazzle me in any way while running point.

Etc.
Adding onto this, with Dennis Andrews and Justin Thomas joining the team, the QB position is loaded for the future. Not to mention Byerly (after this year) and Dickey (now) as emergency back-ups. Synjyn was gonna have to fight every year to stay in the mix. I think he's a possible starter this year at another position if he transitions well.

Synjyn is also a great team guy and would probably be open to a change if it meant helping the team win.
BlackJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #27
stinger78
Dodd-like

Synjyn is a very good runner. he is not the best decision maker. Aback may well be the spot for him to shine, just as Bback is for Sims. If this holds up, we will have seen PJ's MO in play - recruit the highly athletic HS QB's and find a spot for them to play.

We need some size at Aback, too, and both Perkins and Days give us that. Speed alone won't get it at that position when they have to block LB's.

Two other things:

1) The installation of the shotgun formation tells you that PJ is wanting to create a better environment for passing, and Lee's arm is the best we have on the team right now. He is making room for him to step forward.

2) The mention of Snoddy as getting good reps at Bback also plays into this. If he continues there, he is a speed guy who will be quite the contrast to Sims/Laskey. He would be the fastest player we've had at that position since the 2008 version of Dwyer. The departure of Watson and the potential move of Perkins, indicates that Snoddy may be able to handle the #3 spot at Bback.

sent from my UNIVAC 1107
stinger78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #28
MtownJacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinger78 View Post
Synjyn is a very good runner. he is not the best decision maker. Aback may well be the spot for him to shine, just as Bback is for Sims. If this holds up, we will have seen PJ's MO in play - recruit the highly athletic HS QB's and find a spot for them to play.

We need some size at Aback, too, and both Perkins and Days give us that. Speed alone won't get it at that position when they have to block LB's.

Two other things:

1) The installation of the shotgun formation tells you that PJ is wanting to create a better environment for passing, and Lee's arm is the best we have on the team right now. He is making room for him to step forward.

2) The mention of Snoddy as getting good reps at Bback also plays into this. If he continues there, he is a speed guy who will be quite the contrast to Sims/Laskey. He would be the fastest player we've had at that position since the 2008 version of Dwyer. The departure of Watson and the potential move of Perkins, indicates that Snoddy may be able to handle the #3 spot at Bback.
I doubt Perkins moves from B-back permanently. It seems to be more of an Anthony Allen situation where he is a great option at B-back but we need to get his butt on the field because he is so good.
It's much more fun to tap someone on the shoulder, ask them what year it is, respond to their answer with a look of solemn distress, quietly thank them and walk in the other direction as quickly as possible.
MtownJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM   #29
ThisIsAtlanta
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtownJacket View Post
I doubt Perkins moves from B-back permanently. It seems to be more of an Anthony Allen situation where he is a great option at B-back but we need to get his butt on the field because he is so good.
This, but his size is pretty good for blocking at that position. I like the moves, we could see some potency from this year's offense. That'll be good when our defense consistently gives up 5 yard QB sneaks.
StinGTalk --a board divided. "BigCry and ButtHurt" --an ESPN Outside The Lines special ...3:00PM Saturday, only on ESPN 8 ...The Ocho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Koholic View Post
There's two types of post on Stingtalk. Those that deserve a big cry. And big cries.
ThisIsAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #30
QuadF
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtownJacket View Post
This is true, but I felt like the plays off of the edge were diminished when allen moved to b-back

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechFan85 View Post
I once heard a recruits cousins brother say that PJ left an upper decker at their house, take it for what its worth.
QuadF is offline   Reply With Quote