Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  
Old 04-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
TiftonJacket
Varsity Lurker

Default Spring Departures and Injuries

I would like to see if someone with knowledge of the team could answer this question, who is not participating in spring drills either due to injury or leaving the team due to graduation?

I have not seen any type of composite list, and so I have pieced together a quick list from what I have read.

Spring Injuries:
O. Smith - Toe
Uzzi - knee
Burnett - Neck

Graduation: Watson and Mckayhen

I have not heard anything officially on Munroe or Machen but I did hear there names listed a possible early departures. With JB's injury, I wasn't sure if they stayed for their senior seasons.

Munroe is listed on the spring roster so I assume he is practicing while Machen's name is missing meaning he is gone.

I have I missed anybody?
TiftonJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

Default Re: Spring Departures and Injuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiftonJacket View Post
I would like to see if someone with knowledge of the team could answer this question, who is not participating in spring drills either due to injury or leaving the team due to graduation?

I have not seen any type of composite list, and so I have pieced together a quick list from what I have read.

Spring Injuries:
O. Smith - Toe
Uzzi - knee
Burnett - Neck

Graduation: Watson and Mckayhen

I have not heard anything officially on Munroe or Machen but I did hear there names listed a possible early departures. With JB's injury, I wasn't sure if they stayed for their senior seasons.

Munroe is listed on the spring roster so I assume he is practicing while Machen's name is missing meaning he is gone.

I have I missed anybody?
I thought there were others w red jerseys yesterday. You are at least missing Will Jackson
Legal Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Jerry the Jacket
Helluva Engineer

Monroe was playing in the scrimmage yesterday. Machen has left the team and graduated. Jackson has a high ankle sprain and is done for the spring. Orwin will not participate in Spring practice due to toe injury. Louis Young was apparently injured and did not participate in the scrimmage yesterday. Uzzi was at practice but in a red jersey.

I think that is all for now.

Go Jackets!
Jerry the Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Lee34102
Helluva Engineer

Thanks, much appreciated....!
Lee34102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #5
gt2690b
Dodd-like

Good to hear that Uzzi seems probable for the fall
gt2690b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
hiveredtech
Dodd-like

For the most part we have seen the last of transfers or players quitting w/o good reason. With the accelerated graduation path we now have our football players on, we will now see more early departures because they graduated and got a job...with a sprinkling of early NFL departures or injury.

This is why the available ship count for 2013 is expected to rise less than past years....because as we look at the potential early graduates from the Graduating Class of 2014 you will see more players that are actively in the two-deep roster which makes them more likely to stay.

The 2012 calendar year departures:
NFL: Stephen Hill
Medical: Julian Burnett
Graduation: Jon Lockhart, B.J. Machen, Phil Smith, Richard Watson, D.J. McKayhan

As of today we have a roster of 82 scholarship players which is 3 short of the maximum and we 10 seniors exhaust their eligibility after the season. This makes 13 spots available for the signing class of 2013 today...which they currently target to rise to 15.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #7
WaCoJacket
Damn Good Rat

I think we will have around 18-19 available scholarships. I still think we are way too passive in regards to *expected* attrition.
WaCoJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Diseqc
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaCoJacket View Post
I think we will have around 18-19 available scholarships. I still think we are way too passive in regards to *expected* attrition.
the cost of taking the high road and not oversigning.
Diseqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
hiveredtech
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaCoJacket View Post
If we end up with that many it would be a huge disappointment to everyone becuase it would be injuries or academics...and academics are not going to the be the problem it once was. It is likely to have one medical casualty.

When you look at the graduating class for 2014 below...which is the most likely place to find departures...you will see only a couple that do not figure into playing time. Lanier and Richardson are likely candidates. If Poole gets beat out by Rodwell he could decide to move on. Also, there has been some talk about players like Attaochu, Thomas, and Young testing NFL waters.

8 off, 10 def, 2 st, 20 total
Offense
Raymond Beno- OT/G
Jay Finch- C/G
Robert Godhigh- AB
Will Jackson- G
Tyler Kidney- OT
J.C. Lanier- G
Jeremy Moore- WR
David Sims- BB

Defense
Jeremiah Attaochu- OLB