Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  
Old 04-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
cyptomcat
PostBot

Default 'Playoff' is here

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...se-bowl-access

Quote:
What was termed a "four-team plus" was the only new model put forward in a memo sent to stakeholders this week. The Rose Bowl would get the Pac-12 and Big Ten champions, its traditional game, each year. If either of those two teams, or both, are in the top four -- their vacated spots in the top four would be filled by the next highest-ranked teams.
some weird stuff

a closer look in past seasons with this model:
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...urphy/18298274

Quote:
2011 regular season
Rose Bowl: No. 5 Oregon (Pac-12) vs. No. 10 Wisconsin (Big Ten)
Semifinals: No. 4 Stanford (at-large) vs. No. 1 LSU (SEC); No. 3 Oklahoma State (Big 12) vs. No. 2 Alabama (at-large).
The carnage: No harm, no foul. Only two semifinals would be needed to determine the national champion.
cyptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
ThisIsAtlanta
Dodd-like

Default Re: 'Playoff' is here

I love it. I'm assuming that all this hasn't pushed back the NCG. The Pac-X didn't seem to want to do that.
StinGTalk --a board divided. "BigCry and ButtHurt" --an ESPN Outside The Lines special ...3:00PM Saturday, only on ESPN 8 ...The Ocho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Koholic View Post
There's two types of post on Stingtalk. Those that deserve a big cry. And big cries.
ThisIsAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Ceiling Cat
Helluva Engineer

Thank God. Hopefully its not neutral site for the semis. I glad its only the top 4 teams. Basically, if you have a perfect season, you go to the semi finals. Boise wouldn't have gotten shut up in 2010 (I think), and it stresses the importance of the regular season (which is the most important thing for me).
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"-Reagan
Ceiling Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
andrew
Dodd-like

I'm not sure I get this. So basically no Big X or Pac 16 team can win the playoff?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
cyptomcat
PostBot

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
I'm not sure I get this. So basically no Big X or Pac 16 team can win the playoff?
no there is some kind of 'decision' that has to be made for the championship game, see this:
Quote:
2005 regular season
Rose Bowl: No. 1 USC (Pac-10) vs. No. 3 Penn State (Big Ten)
Semifinals: No. 6 Notre Dame (at-large) vs. No. 2 Texas (Big 12), No. 5 Oregon (at-large) vs. No. 4 Ohio State (at-large).
The carnage: This is Exhibit 1A for the nightmare scenario for the “Four Teams Plus” model. The Rose Bowl features two of the nation's top four teams, so the national semifinals add No. 5 Oregon and No. 6 Notre Dame. Since the three semifinal model would require a rating system, it's conceivably possible No. 1 USC could actually lose the Rose Bowl, but would still rank first or second in whatever rating system used and advance to the national title game despite losing the Rose Bowl. Only in America.
In the case where no top 4 team being in the Rose Bowl, decision is easy, the winners of the semi finals play in the championship game.
cyptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
ThisIsAtlanta
Dodd-like

That's not that complicated, really. It's just a three phase season. Regular season, bowl season, and the playoff.
StinGTalk --a board divided. "BigCry and ButtHurt" --an ESPN Outside The Lines special ...3:00PM Saturday, only on ESPN 8 ...The Ocho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Koholic View Post
There's two types of post on Stingtalk. Those that deserve a big cry. And big cries.
ThisIsAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
gtfan088
Dodd-like

So you have two semifinal games...but rather than simply take the winners of those games and have a championship, you could end up with another team that may or may not have have even won the 'other' semifinal game in place of another team that won their game?

It seems like a really bad idea to me to have playoff games, then vote for who should play in the championship.
gtfan088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
andrew
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAtlanta View Post
That's not that complicated, really. It's just a three phase season. Regular season, bowl season, and the playoff.
And it could be a playoff consisting of three teams, depending on whether the Big X and Pac 12 have teams in the top 4.

It's better than what we had before, obviously, but man...
Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
NatiJacket
Dodd-like

What's the point of having a "semifinal game" if the winner can get shut out of the championship game? Lame.
NatiJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
KrazieJacket
Dodd-like

So they are trying to create a playoff in the most difficult way possible to appease fans that are still going to find ways complain about the setup.................yay
KrazieJacket is offline   Reply With Quote