Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Basketball

Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
wesleyd21
Dodd-like

Default Re: That was not college basketball...

The rich get richer.

Just wait until after we don't win good enough.
wesleyd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #12
andrew
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyptomcat View Post
heat doesn't belong in that group
Agreed, all the talk about the Heat stacking the deck or not doing it the right way is kind of BS in my opinion. All the teams are playing by the same rules and salary cap, it's not like baseball where they could outspend everybody or college where recruiting is anything goes in terms of how many good commits you can get.

And that was college basketball...that was modern college basketball, where the one-and-done rule rules. It's been years since we've really seen good "college basketball".
Old 04-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
ee8384
Helluva Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
Agreed, all the talk about the Heat stacking the deck or not doing it the right way is kind of BS in my opinion. All the teams are playing by the same rules and salary cap, it's not like baseball where they could outspend everybody or college where recruiting is anything goes in terms of how many good commits you can get.

And that was college basketball...that was modern college basketball, where the one-and-done rule rules. It's been years since we've really seen good "college basketball".
The closer college basketball gets to the pro game the less interest I have in watching it.
ee8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
gtrower
Dodd-like

Quote:

I see what you're saying. I think more of the hate is/was directed towards Lebron rather than Wade and Bosh though. Mostly because he was the hometown kid that the city/state had rallied around. And he had built himself up as the hometown kid just as much as the city had. Had he not done that, repeatedly preached that he wanted to bring a championship to the city, and made such a donkey show of the decision then I don't think it would have been as big a deal.
gtrower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 AM   #15
andrew
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrower View Post
I see what you're saying. I think more of the hate is/was directed towards Lebron rather than Wade and Bosh though. Mostly because he was the hometown kid that the city/state had rallied around. And he had built himself up as the hometown kid just as much as the city had. Had he not done that, repeatedly preached that he wanted to bring a championship to the city, and made such a donkey show of the decision then I don't think it would have been as big a deal.
Definitely.

If LeBron had handled it right (i.e., be humble, don't run a news conference, and play up the teamwork angle) he could have been the hero who sacrificed money and notoriety to co-exist with other superstars in a league often criticized for its "me-first" nature. Instead, he went the opposite direction and did basically everything the wrong way.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
Deke
Dodd-like

Quote:
Definitely.

If LeBron had handled it right (i.e., be humble, don't run a news conference, and play up the teamwork angle) he could have been the hero who sacrificed money and notoriety to co-exist with other superstars in a league often criticized for its "me-first" nature. Instead, he went the opposite direction and did basically everything the wrong way.
This. I often think of how much different his public reception would he just not douched out and participated in the ego jerkoff that was "The Decision". Heck I didn't have any problem with the kid until that whole spectacle.
Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #17
mmbt0ne
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfan1147 View Post
Im not so sure. I there are only about 5-6 teams over that period that can claim to be as good as '11-12 Kentucky.

2009 UNC
2005 UNC
2004 UCONN
1990 UNLV
1983 Houston

Anybody else's thoughts on great teams of the past 30 years?
Missing best team from that time period.

Hint: '11-12 isn't even UK's best team over that time frame.

Also, 1991 UNLV > 1990 even if they didn't win the title, and '84 Georgetown deserves some love.
"Why do I have to see Democrats as my enemies? I've got Al Qaeda. I've got the Taliban. I've got enough enemies. I'm supposed to call this President despicable? The people who are despicable are the ones who constantly mislead the public in the interest of selling books. Or themselves. And always cloaking themselves in patriotism. Shame on them."

- Former Rep. Bob Inglis (R-S.C.)
mmbt0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
Hobojacket
Helluva Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfan1147 View Post
Im not so sure. I there are only about 5-6 teams over that period that can claim to be as good as '11-12 Kentucky.

2009 UNC
2005 UNC
2004 UCONN
1990 UNLV
1983 Houston

Anybody else's thoughts on great teams of the past 30 years?
I would add to that list

1996 Kentucky
1982 UNC (Perkins, Worthy, Jordan...yeah)

Like you said...these teams can claim to be as good. However, given the general increase in level of play over the years...I'm not sure any of the 80s teams could really hold ground against Kentucky.

The question that sits in my mind though...is where this year's Carolina team really stands against Kentucky. Kendall Marshall was really really hot before he got hurt. If they have Kentucky's luck and avoid the injury bug (Marshall, Strickland, Henson) then I'm not sure they aren't nearly a match.
Hobojacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
Gordon
Jolly Good Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobojacket View Post
I would add to that list

1996 Kentucky
1982 UNC (Perkins, Worthy, Jordan...yeah)
92 Duke. Lost 2 games just like this Kentucky team, and also won their conference tournament.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #20
gtfan088
Dodd-like

It wasn't as bad as last year's final...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas..._boxscore.html

The teams combined for: 94 points, 31/119 shooting, and 11 assists. I still have nightmares of Butler chunking up brick after brick...
gtfan088 is offline   Reply With Quote