Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  
Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #21
andrew
Dodd-like

Default Re: Final Four Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCidBUZZingFAN View Post
College basketball sucks balls. The level of play is just awful.
It really is. The sad thing is that these are the best teams; this is the epitome of high quality college basketball play.

I pretty much watch the tournament and any time GT is on TV, but beyond that I can't stomach it. I love the crowds and the coaches and the tradition, but the play itself is just too bad.

The one and done rule is responsible for this, most likely. We really need the college baseball rule: go straight from high school to the pros OR stay for three full years.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #22
ElCidBUZZingFAN
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
It really is. The sad thing is that these are the best teams; this is the epitome of high quality college basketball play.

I pretty much watch the tournament and any time GT is on TV, but beyond that I can't stomach it. I love the crowds and the coaches and the tradition, but the play itself is just too bad.

The one and done rule is responsible for this, most likely. We really need the college baseball rule: go straight from high school to the pros OR stay for three full years.
I agree with the one-and-dones ruining it. Plus, count me in as new NBA fan. I used to despise it. Thankfully, the OKC-CHI and MIA and BOS games on Sunday mostly erased the multiple abortions these eyes witnessed on Saturday night.
ElCidBUZZingFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #23
andrew
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCidBUZZingFAN View Post
I agree with the one-and-dones ruining it. Plus, count me in as new NBA fan. I used to despise it. Thankfully, the OKC-CHI and MIA and BOS games on Sunday mostly erased the multiple abortions these eyes witnessed on Saturday night.
The NBA isn't perfect. It has plenty of problems. However, college basketball has many of the same problems (including teams not going 100% during the regular season) and the level of play in the NBA is so much better that it more than makes up for the difference, in my opinion.

Nothing like a great game between two top NBA teams in front of a packed crowd, which will bring out 100% in both teams. Also, just wait until the playoffs -- it's awesome.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #24
bball1979
Damn Good Rat

I have two problems with the NBA playoffs.

1) Basketball season in my mind ends well before their playoffs start. So, I am on to other sports and rarely watch it.

2) The urgency of winning and losing a game is not as great when you play a seven game series. It drags on forever.
bball1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #25
Hobojacket
Helluva Engineer

The NBA playoffs are also hurt by their all-inclusive nature, un-ending length, and ridiculous breaks between games in a single series. Its almost unbearable to follow the playoffs until the Conference finals.
Hobojacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #26
AllAmericanBuzz
Helluva Engineer

I have Kentucky over Kansas in both of my brackets, yet the best I can finish in each pool is 2nd & 3rd.
AllAmericanBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #27
KG01
Dodd-like

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. Especially now that the d-league is in place to provide a method for the Korleone Young's (who?) of the world to work their way up.

I have a totally un-related question for anyone who knows. What's with Vitale's championing the virtue of folks "doing it the right way" while also kissing Calipari's behind profusely?

I think Calipari's a great coach and all but that don't make sense to me.
KG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #28
andrew
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG01 View Post
I have a totally un-related question for anyone who knows. What's with Vitale's championing the virtue of folks "doing it the right way" while also kissing Calipari's behind profusely?

I think Calipari's a great coach and all but that don't make sense to me.
Dickie V makes a living out of effusive praise and a jubilant attitude. You shouldn't be surprised that he would praise the coach of a currently dominant team, especially when the school is also a college basketball blue blood.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #29
BarrelORum
Dodd-like

Does anyone actually look forward to or enjoy "One Shining Moment"?
BarrelORum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #30
KG01
Dodd-like

Quote:
Dickie V makes a living out of effusive praise and a jubilant attitude. You shouldn't be surprised that he would praise the coach of a currently dominant team, especially when the school is also a college basketball blue blood.

Ah, I see. It's kinda like if you tell a big enough lie enough times with enough conviction you'll start to believe it yourself.
KG01 is offline   Reply With Quote