Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Football

Old 03-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
TiftonJacket
Varsity Lurker

Default Spring Preview - Aback and BBacks

Back to finish the review of the offense with only three more spots to go.

Today Abacks and Bbacks. This group has been a strength of the team as expected since CPJ arrived, but my biggest question going into spring is where are the home run hitters for 2012?

Gone are Roddy Jones and Embry Peeples which is 900 yards on the ground and 300 in receiving and 8 TDs. Also, Lyons and his 350 yards are gone as well. While the performance is a big loss, my bigger concern is Roddy was the leader of the 2011 team. So who takes the place of a three year starter and more important a great ambassador for the program? Plus Jones and Peeples really committed to being excellent blockers on the edge.

So we have some big shoes to fill. The good news is that the #1 guy Orwin will be back in 2012 although he is sitting out spring with the turf toe issue. Orwin's 10.2 yards per run and 11 TDs jump off the stats page. Add to that a 23.5 average per catch and you have a guy that can hit the home run every time he touches the ball.

Not having Orwin for spring will give Snoddy, Bostic, Godheigh, Deon Hill, and Zenon a shot at locking in the 2nd starter spot along with establishing the pecking order for this group.

My biggest concern with this group is size. Orwin at 6-0, 210 is an excellent size to play this position, but it seems beyond Bostic the other guys are 5-9, 5-10 and 190 to 200 lbs. While this is perfert for a scat back, it seems that over the last two years the size difference has hurt the Abacks in blocking the LBs and strong safeties they have to take on. If one of the QBs doesn't develop, it would be good to see one of them at Aback.

At B back, Sims and Perkins will be back. I believe Watson will not be back due to graduation and having a job lined up. It sounds like Laskey will make the move to Bback in the spring.

Sims averaged 5.2 yards per carry which in most offenses is a huge stat, but I think we will all agree the big play threat from this position didn't exist in 2011. While the Bback is the 3 yards and a cloud of dust guy, having the ability to break long runs is a necessity from the spot as we had seen with Dwyer and Allen.

Sims and Perkins need to find that extra burst of speed to make a 3 yard gain 10, 15, or more to keep the free saftey and middle LBs honest which will open up the edge for the Abacks. So I see Sims and Perkins entering spring as co #1s. Perkins biggest thing to improve, quit putting the ball on the ground.
TiftonJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
augustabuzz
Helluva Engineer

Default Re: Spring Preview - Aback and BBacks

I think Deon Hill is about the same size as Orwin. Also, I'm not concerned about Godhigh's ability to put his man on the ground. Every time I watched him last year, he was successful in his blocking assignment.
augustabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
AE 87
Dodd-like

Recently re-watched the Maryland game. Zenon looked for real with the ball in his hands, and Bostic's coming back. Plus, I've only heard good things about Snoddy.

I can't wait for actual news from the Spring practices etc.
AE 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
cyptomcat
Dodd-like

Is there a practice schedule somewhere?

I assume the practices are open to public?
cyptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
AE 87
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyptomcat View Post
Is there a practice schedule somewhere?

I assume the practices are open to public?
I haven't seen a schedule, but iirc, the spring practices weren't open last year.
AE 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
cyptomcat
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE 87 View Post
I haven't seen a schedule, but iirc, the spring practices weren't open last year.
now that you say that, I think only the saturday scrimmages were open last year
cyptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
dressedcheeseside
Dodd-like

rr.com usually does a brief daily practice report or video interview with one of the players. It's not much, but its something. CPJ usually has his post practice q/a full of flat one liners.

"Just my :twocents:."
dressedcheeseside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
razorjackets
Damn Good Rat

I'd like to see Days end up at A-back, given the size issue you mentioned. He has strength, speed, and size, and his ball protection can be improved by focusing on the A-back position rather than the more complex QB position where ball is in the hands every play. Just a thought.
razorjackets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
dressedcheeseside
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorjackets View Post
I'd like to see Days end up at A-back, given the size issue you mentioned. He has strength, speed, and size, and his ball protection can be improved by focusing on the A-back position rather than the more complex QB position where ball is in the hands every play. Just a thought.
ditto for Perkins.

"Just my :twocents:."
dressedcheeseside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
CPJ= Master Yoda
Helluva Engineer

Double A was a good B back but lacked breakaway speed like JD. I think our current B's have at least as much speed as AA just not the bull balls AA had hitting the whole. They should develop those this yr with another year of age.

Our A backs will be the best we've had. I'm looking forward to watching them blow past and over fools.