Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  
Old 03-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
77GTFan
Dodd-like

Default Rock-Chalk-Jayhawk

Thank you, Kansas. Need you again on Sunday.
77GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
BuzzCzar
Dodd-like

Default Re: Rock-Chalk-Jayhawk

Old 03-24-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
GT1992
Dodd-like

What the hell does that mean? I almost asked a Kansas fan when we beat them in 2004 in St. Louis, but they were actually being too nice. They were wishing us luck and it was hard to kick dirt in their face.
GT1992 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
southendzoneBEE
Dodd-like

Never Forget: 9/11/10

I will never forgive them.
Funny, because we're about to have a fan-declared bounce back year followed by a fan-declared rebuilding year. Or the other way around, we'll play it by ear. You should probably just admit yourself to the nearest psych ward as a precautionary measure.
southendzoneBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
BuzzCzar
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1992 View Post
What the hell does that mean? I almost asked a Kansas fan when we beat them in 2004 in St. Louis, but they were actually being too nice. They were wishing us luck and it was hard to kick dirt in their face.
The cult chant was first adopted by the university's science club in 1886. Chemistry professor E.H.S. Bailey and his colleagues were returning by train to Lawrence after a conference. During their travel, they discussed a need of a rousing yell. They came up with "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, Go KU"[1], repeated three times, which later became "Rock Chalk Jayhawk, KU".
By 1889, "Rock Chalk"—a transposition of chalk rock, a type of limestone, that exists in Kansas, but only in the Cretaceous-age bedrocks of central and western parts of the state (more than 150 miles west of Lawrence) and on Mount Oread, where the University is located, which is similar to the coccolith-bearing chalk of the white cliffs of Dover—later replaced the two "rahs." Those responsible for the change are unknown, with Bailey himself crediting the geology department[2], and others an English professor.[3]
Old 03-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #6
GT1992
Dodd-like

So they decided to chant about a rock? That should have died out 50 years ago as the old chants did. And who the hell lets the geology department anywhere near a chant? Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
GT1992 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:49 AM   #7
PerfectOption
Dodd-like

The hand wave thing is the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

Quote:
I'm confused on the whole Warhammer thing. Can you actually play a game, or do you just paint figurines like a woman?
PerfectOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:18 AM   #8
gtfan1147
Dodd-like

They've escaped twice when they should have lost. I had Purdue over Kansas in my bracket then NCST into the elite 8. But I can't pull for UNC, so I guess I'll have to pull for them Sunday now.
gtfan1147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
ramblinwise1
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzCzar View Post
The cult chant was first adopted by the university's science club in 1886. Chemistry professor E.H.S. Bailey and his colleagues were returning by train to Lawrence after a conference. During their travel, they discussed a need of a rousing yell. They came up with "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, Go KU"[1], repeated three times, which later became "Rock Chalk Jayhawk, KU".
By 1889, "Rock Chalk"—a transposition of chalk rock, a type of limestone, that exists in Kansas, but only in the Cretaceous-age bedrocks of central and western parts of the state (more than 150 miles west of Lawrence) and on Mount Oread, where the University is located, which is similar to the coccolith-bearing chalk of the white cliffs of Dover—later replaced the two "rahs." Those responsible for the change are unknown, with Bailey himself crediting the geology department[2], and others an English professor.[3]
Chalk is a special type of limestone, CaCO3. People in this part of Georgia grow up calling the kaolin pits "chalk mines" but alas there is no chalk mined down here. Kaolin is a hydrated aluminum silicate mineral.
ramblinwise1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
RoswellWreck
Helluva Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectOption View Post
The hand wave thing is the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

Dumber than the Dookies, "Lets go dook" chant??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContactBuzz View Post
Actually, the meth commercials make the drug look as scary as it is in reality - something the commercials in the past haven't done. This is your brain on drugs? No, that's a effin' fried egg.
RoswellWreck is offline   Reply With Quote