Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Other Sports

Old 03-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
coit
Dodd-like

Default Re: 15 days until Braves opening day

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTaxJacket View Post
This thread nose dived quickly.
Given the title, it could only last for one day anyway, right?
coit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
gtphd
Dodd-like

I think the roster is pretty much set as stated above with the only question being Durango or Parraz. Durango has speed but Parraz is the better defender with more pop off the bench. I think Parraz is the better player, but the Braves already have a power hitting outfield. What they need is a guy that they can use as a pinch runner. It will be interesting to see what happens with that bench spot when Jack Wilson returns.

I'm not really worried about the 5th starter. He'll get 2 starts before Hudson returns. Also, that finny bullpen spot is just keeping the bench warm for Moylan.
gtphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #13
southendzoneBEE
Banned (Member Complaints)

Pastornicky batted 4/5 with a Rib today. His average is up to .224 which is an astronomical improvement. So I think it is safe to say that he has fully locked up the starting spot.

Parraz got a hit in his only at bat today to move his average to .414. Tomorrow Parraz will probably start and Durango will get to pinch hit, and then Durango will start and constanza will pinch hit, and the cycle will continue. I dont think it is safe to say that Parraz has it in the bag, because Fredi love Constanza and Durango is too dang good at getting on base.

Chance of making team
Parraz- 85%
Durango- 55%
Constanza- 40%
southendzoneBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #14
jacket1515
Helluva Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtphd View Post
I think the roster is pretty much set as stated above with the only question being Durango or Parraz. Durango has speed but Parraz is the better defender with more pop off the bench. I think Parraz is the better player, but the Braves already have a power hitting outfield. What they need is a guy that they can use as a pinch runner. It will be interesting to see what happens with that bench spot when Jack Wilson returns.

I'm not really worried about the 5th starter. He'll get 2 starts before Hudson returns. Also, that finny bullpen spot is just keeping the bench warm for Moylan.
I think its gonna be Parraz, Sutton can play the corner outfield positions as well (kind of interesting they've been giving Heyward innings in CF this Spring, not sure what that's about). Too bad we are stuck with Diaz this year because I think both Parraz and Durango are an improvement.

Agree that Gearrin is probably holding a spot for Moylan, they're basically the same guy anyway.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #15
jacket1515
Helluva Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by southendzoneBEE View Post
Pastornicky batted 4/5 with a Rib today. His average is up to .224 which is an astronomical improvement. So I think it is safe to say that he has fully locked up the starting spot.

Parraz got a hit in his only at bat today to move his average to .414. Tomorrow Parraz will probably start and Durango will get to pinch hit, and then Durango will start and constanza will pinch hit, and the cycle will continue. I dont think it is safe to say that Parraz has it in the bag, because Fredi love Constanza and Durango is too dang good at getting on base.

Chance of making team
Parraz- 85%
Durango- 55%
Constanza- 40%
Rev also had one error (4th in 15? or so games) and one shaky defensive play that was scored a hit.

Last edited by jacket1515; 03-22-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Forgot Rev hasn't played every game
jacket1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
Architorture23
Dodd-like

Simmons is the better ballplayer between he and Pastornicky, but Simmons just might not be quite ready. I think TP will start the season but would not be surprised to see Simmons up soon if TP struggles.
Architorture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #17
southendzoneBEE

Yea, Simmons is the better athlete. He will eventually be a better hitter and is already better defensively. He came on strong a little but it was truly David vs. Goliath. Simmons just needs to find his slingshot and he's in.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #18
southendzoneBEE

March 23rd- Durango, Constanza, and parraz combined for 0-6. Constanza had the 0-4 but drove in a run. So no change in the outfield battle. Parraz still in the lead.

Ascencio continued on his path to getting the reliever spot with a spotless inning, while Varvaro did not giving up a run on 3 hits without recording an out. A walk included.

Jack Wilson in on the fast track to be ok, so he may be able to be on the bench opening day. But we shall see.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
southendzoneBEE

Updated
Old 03-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
southendzoneBEE

We are 8-14-3 this spring with 7 games left. Hoping to win 5 of those games with as hot as we are right now to build some momentum going into opening day. That would be 13-16-3. Not a terrible spring considering we started 1-10-1.