Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  
Old 03-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #11
etc79
Dodd-like

Default Re: New commit

After watching some of those "Mid-Majors" play in the tourney, I'll take a recruit they wanted.....I personally think they are on to something...
etc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
RamblinRed
Jolly Good Fellow

I expect Heyward to be a backup PG, similar to TJ Vines.

He big and strong (6'1, 205). Pass first, strong defender.
11 ppg, 6 apg, 6 rpg, 5 spg at Hargrave on a team that won 30 games. Basically he could have gone to a mid-major last year and chose to go to Hargrave instead and work on his game and try to get a high major offer.

FWIW, this is another one that I believe Bolden had a hand in. He and Heyward are friends.

GT is planning on getting their PG in the future in 2013 with most likely either Morris or Josh Newkirk, with Ennis and Poole also possibility.

PG was very problematic this year. Only a couple of really good ones and they were locked up early. GT spent alot of the winter scouting PG's. Looked hard at Dickerson (another one Bolden suggested) - but there were some issues there. Looked at Jones and Holmes and decided they weren't ACC quality. Liked Keane, but had concerns about eligibility due to the school he was attending (alot of the kids there run afoul of NCAA eligiblity requirements) and that left Heyward standing at the end.

Heyward is probably an 8-10 mpg guy as a FR and then you hope he develops enough that he can be a potential starter quality player by his JR/SR yr - though i'm not sold on that. But he will do 2 things that Gregory likes in his PG - he will defend and he will distribute the ball.

Right now this gives us the following breakdown by class
SR - Udofia, Jordan
JR - Miller, Holsey, Reed, Morris, Hicks
SO - Royal, Poole
FR - Carter, Hunt, Bolden, Heyward

So right now GT would have 2 scholarships to use for 2013 with one ticketed to a PG and one most likely going to Quinton Stephens who is a big GT lean right now. That leads me to believe we will see at least one player leave this summer so they will have a 3rd scholarship available. They have been recruiting like they plan to sign 3 in 2013.

RamblinRed
RamblinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
BlackJacket
Dodd-like

Thanks for the info RamblinRed! This year's class is looking pretty good. Hopefully we're able to land one of those point guards you mentioned for next year's class as well.
BlackJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #14
texstinger
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRed View Post

11 ppg, 6 apg, 6 rpg, 5 spg at Hargrave on a team that won 30 games. Basically he could have gone to a mid-major last year and chose to go to Hargrave instead and work on his game and try to get a high major offer.

FWIW, this is another one that I believe Bolden had a hand in. He and Heyward are friends.

GT is planning on getting their PG in the future in 2013 with most likely either Morris or Josh Newkirk, with Ennis and Poole also possibility.

PG was very problematic this year. Only a couple of really good ones and they were locked up early. GT spent alot of the winter scouting PG's. Looked hard at Dickerson (another one Bolden suggested) - but there were some issues there. Looked at Jones and Holmes and decided they weren't ACC quality. Liked Keane, but had concerns about eligibility due to the school he was attending (alot of the kids there run afoul of NCAA eligiblity requirements) and that left Heyward standing at the end.

Heyward is probably an 8-10 mpg guy as a FR and then you hope he develops enough that he can be a potential starter quality player by his JR/SR yr - though i'm not sold on that. But he will do 2 things that Gregory likes in his PG - he will defend and he will distribute the ball.

SR - Udofia, Jordan
SO - Royal, Poole

So right now GT would have 2 scholarships to use for 2013 with one ticketed to a PG and one most likely going to Quinton Stephens who is a big GT lean right now. That leads me to believe we will see at least one player leave this summer so they will have a 3rd scholarship available. They have been recruiting like they plan to sign 3 in 2013.

RamblinRed
As always great info and insights. Thank you.

However, at this point I think we need to shoot higher than "ACC" quality.
texstinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #15
KG01
Dodd-like

Info is much appreciated.

Morris and Newkirk are the two 2013 PGs I hoped we'd be in on. I think Ennis is bound for AZ or Syracuse.
KG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:56 AM   #16
nedleeds
Dodd-like

T.J. Vines. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Maybe we can score a big man with the skills of Pablo Machado. A dynamic shooter like Jon Babul. And somebody with the basketball I.Q. of Dion Glover.
lack of adherents, were cast upon the scrap heap of mythology millennia ago; for there is no more evidence to justify a belief in the literal existence of Yahweh and Satan than there was to keep Zeus perched upon his mountain throne or Poseidon churning the seas.
nedleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
05GTCorndog
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
T.J. Vines. I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Maybe we can score a big man with the skills of Pablo Machado. A dynamic shooter like Jon Babul. And somebody with the basketball I.Q. of Dion Glover.
05GTCorndog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #18
KG01
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
for the Pablo reference.
KG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #19
GTSurgery
Jolly Good Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRed View Post

SR - Udofia, Jordan
SO - Royal, Poole

RamblinRed
Who do you think leaves then?
GTSurgery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #20
nedleeds
Dodd-like

Latest news on Pablo

http://www.latinbasket.com/player.as...PlayerID=29881
lack of adherents, were cast upon the scrap heap of mythology millennia ago; for there is no more evidence to justify a belief in the literal existence of Yahweh and Satan than there was to keep Zeus perched upon his mountain throne or Poseidon churning the seas.
nedleeds is offline   Reply With Quote