Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Other Sports

Old 10-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
The Jacket
Dodd-like

Default Official 2011-12 NHL Thread (v. GO THRASHERS)

The season started three days ago - and there were 13 games on yesterday - but the Jets start play today against the Habs.

I didn't expect Scheifele to do as well as he did in the preseason but I'm excited to see him in the few minutes he'll be on the ice tonight. Also hoping that my personal favorite, Alexander Burmistrov, has a breakout sophomore season.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
05GTCorndog
Dodd-like

Default Re: Official 2011-12 NHL Thread (v. GO THRASHERS)

Go Pens!
The path of the student athlete is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of greedy men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and easy ebay money, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and sign too many autographs. And you will know my name is the NCAA when I lay ineligibility upon thee.
05GTCorndog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #3
BuzzCzar
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTCorndog View Post
Go Pens!

BOOM. GO PENS!!!

and Jagr looks horrible in orange and black

totally makes him look fat
BuzzCzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
RamblinWreck09
Dodd-like

I still haven't decided who "my" team will be. I find myself watching the ESPN ticker for the Thrashers' score. I'm still in denial...
RamblinWreck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
GruffyMcGuiness
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinWreck09 View Post
I still haven't decided who "my" team will be. I find myself watching the ESPN ticker for the Thrashers' score. I'm still in denial...
Nashville? Tampa Bay? Florida? Carolina?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
Nawaab
Dodd-like

I hope the franchise crashes and burns in Winnipeg. I will always have a fondness for some of the players (Slater, Thorburn, Pavelec, Kane), but I hope the team fails. Nothing really personal against Winnipegers, but I'm tired of all this Canadian hockey jingoism. When the team has to relocate within 15 years, Atlanta will have been redeemed.

As far as rooting for another team goes, I grew up as a Blues fan, but I have a hard time supporting anything NHL related... especially as long as Gary Bettman is commissioner. I love the sport of hockey, and am as hardcore of a fan of the game as someone can be outside of Canada, so I'll fill up my appetite with the Gwinnett Gladiators. I've enjoyed going to random minor league hockey games in places I've lived outside of Atlanta. Screw all of them... Winnipeg, Canada, and the NHL. I may be back one day, but not anytime soon.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
Nawaab
Dodd-like

Let me also add that I do want to see Ilya Kovalchuk with his name on the Stanley Cup one day soon. He was the only Thrasher that was angry and played like it during our lone playoff appearance in 08. It was after that series that I thought he deserved to be captain of the team.

I was furious with him for "abandoning" the team and city by not re-signing here, and said I'd never forgive him for it, but in hindsight, he was jumping off the burning ship. He knew what intentions the Atlanta Spirit(lol) Group had for the franchise, and saved himself the misery of having to live in Winnipeg. He is once again my favorite hockey player in the world.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
The Jacket
Dodd-like

There has been plenty of ill-will between Atlanta and Winnipeg. I have plenty of things that annoy me about Canada and Winnipeg, but things like Winnipeg telling Atlanta fans that we never deserved a team and hockey doesn't belong here or Atlanta fans blaming Winnipeg for taking our team.. all that stuff is garbage.

It's been difficult to deal with the Thrashers leaving. I fell in love hard and fast with that team and this sport and they quickly became my favorite professional team in any sport.

I pull for Winnipeg now, because of the love and respect I have for those players. It's hard to be certain, but I have every intention to be rooting for the Jets until the NHL returns to Atlanta.

But like I've told someone before, I won't be able to pull for the Winnipeg Jets with even half of the same passion with which I miss the Thrashers.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:57 AM   #9
GTCrew4b
Dodd-like

Go Caps. A Rocky start but not unexpected due to the numerous additions. Surprised that Neuvirth started over Vokoun.
Does the 80k include benefits, bro?
GTCrew4b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:02 AM   #10
Allen Koholic
Dodd-like

I suggest jumping on the Tampa Bay band-wagon. There's plenty of room. Stamkos is amazing and Marty St. Louis is like every movie cliche about the undersized overachiever rolled into one. Plus, they've got the best GM in the league, one of the best coaches, they run a quirky offensive set that no one else does (reminds me of another team around here...), they're somewhat close and they still play in the East. And, if recent history is any indication, they're going to beat that dumb airplane logo right off those Winnipeg jerseys.
Allen Koholic is offline   Reply With Quote