Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Football

Old 09-09-2004, 02:01 AM   #1
RamblinPeck
Helluva Engineer

Default Tell me about scalping laws in South Carolina

Is it legal, legal within a certian distance, illegal completely? I think I might be able to make it up there and I don't feel like spending the night in a jail cell. Thanks.
RamblinPeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:00 AM   #2
JacketIM
Damn Good Rat

Default You can sell the ticket, but only for

face value or less. If you have a ticket and a hat to sell, you can sell the ticket for face value and the hat for whatever the buyer is willing to pay for it. But be carefull how you propose the sale, and ask the buyer or seller who and what he/she is before you discuss the deal. Hope that helps. It is not intended to be legal advice, so don't take it as such.

Edit: After shooting from the hip, I looked it up (online legal research has its uses). The statute is Section 16-17-710, SC Code of Laws, 1976 (as amended). It allows the resale of a ticket, but not for more than $1.00 above the price stated on the ticket. Penalty is $100.00 or 30 days for each violation. The statute does not address the sale of hats, etc. It only deals with the resale of tickets to sporting and entertainment events. Again, this is not legal advice. Don't rely on it in making a decision about buying from or selling to somebody who appears to be a scalper.
JacketIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:36 AM   #3
JJacket
Dodd-like

Default Re: You can sell the ticket, but only for

[ QUOTE ]
and ask the buyer or seller who and what he/she is before you discuss the deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, this means nothing. They do not have to "fess up" to being a cop to avoid entrapment issues if you ask them.
JJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 03:48 AM   #4
JacketIM
Damn Good Rat

Default I agree that the defense of entrapment is not

available to one with a predisposition to commit a crime, even if the cop participates in the crime. That's why you should know who and what you are dealing with before you start to deal. You are running a risk if you violate the statute. And as I said twice, I am not giving legal advice.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:00 AM   #5
MUTT_H8ER
Damn Good Rat

Default Re: Tell me about scalping laws in South Carolina

when I bought my Clemson ticket on Ebay a few weeks ago there was a disclaimer that said SC law prohibited the sale of any ticket to an event at anything more than DOUBLE face value.

My ticket was a 14.00 ticket and I paid 21.51. Apparently it was a legal transaction according to EBAY. That is a whole lot more than $1 over face value.
MUTT_H8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:03 AM   #6
law_bee
Dodd-like

Default person selling may not have been

person selling may not have been in South Carolina.
law_bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:17 AM   #7
JacketIM
Damn Good Rat

Default Here is the code section for you:

South Carolina Code

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
South Carolina Code

TITLE 16 CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 17 OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC POLICY
ARTICLE 7 MISCELLANEOUS OFFENSES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Previous Document in Book] [Next Document in Book]

16>-<17>-<710. Selling tickets to athletic contest, sporting, entertainment
or amusement event for more than prescribed amount.

(1) It shall be unlawful to sell or offer for sale any ticket good for
admission to any athletic contest, sporting, entertainment or amusement
event where an admission price is charged, and request or receive a price
in excess of one dollar of the price charged by the original seller.

(2) Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed
guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be fined not more than
one hundred dollars or be imprisoned for not more than thirty days.

The sale or offer for sale of each ticket shall constitute a separate
offense.

HISTORY: 1962 Code 16-575; 1968 (55) 2692; 1977 Act No. 64.

I can think of lots of better places to get legal advice than Ebay, or for that matter, Stingtalk. But keep your eyes open. South Carolina has all the major stuff under control and can afford to have the ticket cops checking out everybody that occupies the 80,000 or so seats at DV.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:35 AM   #8
techfowl
Helluva Engineer

Default Re: Tell me about scalping laws in South Carolina

For some reason, at Clemson they use pens and pencils to change the sale price. They tell you they will sell you the pen for $100 bucks and if you buy the pen or pencil, they'll give you the ticket. I hear that one a lot from my CU buddies.

Whatever - -

Anyway - It shouldn't be a problem to buy, as long as you behave yourself. Selling might include some sneakiness, but it shouldn't really be a problem either.

If you do have tickets to sell, I'd suggest heading to the field parking areas on the other side of Perimeter Road, and nobody will mess with you, unless you cause a ruckus.

Send me a PM with your cell #. I MIGHT - might - have 6 tickets depending on what my buddy's crazy mom decides. She Mrs. Bouche from the Water Boy, but she's loaded with lots of tickets, and sometimes will sell them. Other times they just sit empty because we haven't given her enough guarantees that whoever sits there will behave.

This lady and her husband buy 14 season tickets to Clemson and 4 more box seats, each year, and they sit in the RV for whole games, or doesn't attend at all half of them, and refuse to sell the tickets because they don't want to be embarrassed if the buyer acts the fool.

Of course - that could be a product of the fact that I have been using those tickets with her son since college. So I guess it will be my own fault if I can't get you tickets.
techfowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:55 AM   #9
MUTT_H8ER
Damn Good Rat

Default Re: Here is the code section for you:

Thanks, I believe you. I wan't saying you were wrong. I was just telling of my experience on EBAY.

Sellers restrictions

[ QUOTE ]
South Carolina state law restricts residents (sellers) from receiving higher than face value (plus fees) plus $1.00 for tickets to events taking place in South Carolina.

Note: Face Value Policy
When selling a ticket on eBay for an event taking place in a regulated state, sellers are required to disclose the face value of each ticket (face value includes the price of the ticket and any service charge and tax charged by the original ticket provider that is printed on the ticket). Sellers misrepresenting the face value of their tickets may have their listing ended, may be permanently suspended from eBay, and may be subject to criminal prosecution.

For resale of tickets with a face value of $300 or more per ticket (ONLY if the event occurs in a regulated state), sellers must include proof of the ticket face value in the item description in the form of a partial scan of the actual ticket - clearly showing the face value and the event date - or else risk having the listing ended.

Note About Possible Bidder Restrictions
Some states restrict the amount a buyer can pay for tickets to events taking place in their state of residence. To learn about buyer restrictions, use the form above and make selections as if you were a buyer to learn about possible restrictions that certain buyers may face.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buyers restrictions
[ QUOTE ]
South Carolina state law restricts residents from bidding higher than face value (plus fees) plus $1.00 for tickets to events taking place in South Carolina.

[/ QUOTE ]

So this confirms your post JacketIm. And my seller was from SC. The envelope was postmarked in Columbia SC. I am not a resident of SC, but he is. And I guess he broke the law, and maybe I did too. Oh well, won't be the first time.

I got a ticket for 21.51 though.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggthumpup.gif[/img]
MUTT_H8ER is offline   Reply With Quote