Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Basketball

Old 12-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #21
Nashville Jacket
Dodd-like

Default Re: 4th straight year loss in ACC opener.

Well then, let CPJ coach 'em and make Hewitt his assistant ball boy.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #22
cantSpellConvictWithoutVT
Dodd-like

I've said before: Bob Knight would be PERFECT here for a year or two until we can get a bonafide long-term coach. Coach Knight is a genius and has produced with very modest talent. He is the master of execution... he could get these guys to... gasp.... play against a zone. Maybe we can actually have a little bit of motion on offense and you can bet those defensive transition lapses will be a problem no more. It would be nice to have a shot selection that was something other than four passes around the perimeter and chuck a three with 2 sec on the shot clock. He would be ideal here!

Plus, I would love the Paul Johnson-Bob Knight dynamic! They could become buddies and attend the other games. I'd love nothing more than to see the General on the sidelines and maybe CPJ at the end of the bench helping out CBK.
cantSpellConvictWithoutVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:07 PM   #23
gth816f
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Jacket View Post
Well then, let CPJ coach 'em and make Hewitt his assistant ball boy.
I know it would never happen, but a good head coach is a good head coach. I would not at all be surprised if Paul Johnson could come in and do a better job than Paul Hewitt, especially if he was able to identify and hire good assistants.
You know how some offenses have names, like Four Corners, Motion, Flex and so on? Here are the possible names for the offense G-Tech is running today: "Inertia" … "The Diarrhea Motion" … "One Dribbler, Four Watchers" … "Clogged Toilet" … --Bill Simmons

TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!!! CS Undergrad '08
gth816f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #24
THWG_Nuff Said
Jolly Good Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfan088 View Post
If Favors is a top 5 pick (as he's currently projected), then it's just all the more reason why Hewitt needs to go. He looks like an average player in our offense.
We have an offense????

Could've fooled me. Favors shouldn't even be here....nor should Hewitt for that matter

I'm just sick of seeing the same f'n product cause of poor coaching (out of TO's with almost 3 min left...pathetic)

Last time we continued to see the same product we canned a coach on the flats.......hopefully we'll find a way to do the same on the hardwoods

He hasn't done a öööö thing with the exception of one season and I still stand by the fact that much of that success was due to SENIOR leadership on the floor....not from the side court
THWG_Nuff Said is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:19 PM   #25
ncjacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Jacket View Post
When can we send Hewitt packing? And can we make it package deal that he takes Wommack with him? I bet CPJ can coach basketball.
Wow, and now Nashville has Wommack in a BASKTEBALL thread. I'm amazed.
ncjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #26
ncjacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77GTFan View Post
Sometimes players have to take some blame. Lawal was awful. Favors is going through the motions. To get 12 points from those two in the ACC opener is all on them. If they are both sure they want to play in the NBA next year and don't plan to play with more passion than what we saw tonight, we might as well let them rest up for next year. Now, if you want to blame Hewitt for not motivating them, OK. But, why can't they motivate themselves and come to play?
I don't know 77. Inside guys are dependent on someone getting them the ball, in the right position. They can't go get it and take the game over. Neither of our bigs are that kind of player. They were wasted tonight because Hewitt couldn't figure out a way to use them. I didn't see the whole game, but I saw a lot of effort from the team, just nothing to make me think anyone has ever taught them what they are supposed to be doing as a team.
ncjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #27
gth816f
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjacket View Post
Wow, and now Nashville has Wommack in a BASKTEBALL thread. I'm amazed.
He's got skills.
You know how some offenses have names, like Four Corners, Motion, Flex and so on? Here are the possible names for the offense G-Tech is running today: "Inertia" … "The Diarrhea Motion" … "One Dribbler, Four Watchers" … "Clogged Toilet" … --Bill Simmons

TO HELL WITH GEORGIA!!! CS Undergrad '08
gth816f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:38 PM   #28
wesleyd21
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantSpellConvictWithoutVT View Post
NashvilleJacket, CPJ can and has coached hoops:

In all honesty, if I absolutely HAD to bet my life and my entire family's life on it...if I had to choose between Paul Johnson and Paul Hewitt to run a basketball team's offense, and who I picked to be more successful determined my family's lives...

I'd pick Paul Johnson. Wouldn't even really think twice about it.

For instance...

when FSU would switch defenses mid-possession from the 1-2-2 zone to MAN D, we absolutely would not run the FLEX/MOTION offense. That's inexcusable.

Do you think Paul Johnson would put up with that ****? I sure as hell wouldn't.

I guarantee you I could coach this group into the NCAA tournament. Not sure if Hewitt can.

I'm still hopeful for this season because were so goddanged talented, but man, this was a very very very frustrating loss.
wesleyd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #29
BuzzLaw
Dodd-like

Differences between this year and last:
1) We have more talent than last year;

Similarities:
1) We don't know how to set up a play;
2) We don't know how to capitalize in transition;
3) Our timeouts are gone with 3 or 4 minutes to go, and we find ourselves in great need of 1 late in the game;
4) We play close and fall short at the end;
5) We play like with either don't care or don't believe.

Seriously, if Paul Johnson were our basketball coach, he might not be able to take care of the #1 and #2 similarities, but he'd take care of 3-5 in a heartbeat.
BuzzLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:57 PM   #30
BuzzLaw
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by THWG_Nuff Said View Post

I'm just sick of seeing the same f'n product cause of poor coaching (out of TO's with almost 3 min left...pathetic)

Last time we continued to see the same product we canned a coach on the flats.......hopefully we'll find a way to do the same on the hardwoods

He hasn't done a öööö thing with the exception of one season and I still stand by the fact that much of that success was due to SENIOR leadership on the floor....not from the side court
Agreed. And there are absolutely zero excuses this year. If he doesn't have a great season and tourney, he needs to be man enough to step down on his own.
BuzzLaw is offline   Reply With Quote