Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Football

Old 01-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
BarrelORum
Dodd-like

Default Depth Chart of PJ's offense.

We are basically going to be running the above offense which is also called the flexbone formation of the triple option. The triple option can be run out of the I formation, the wishbone/ the veer, the flexbone, etc. Triple option is the general term for all of these various formations. The base flexbone formation with two slotbacks (SB), two wide receivers (WR), a quarterback (QB), a fullback (FB), and five down linemen (OL).

There are two versions of the flexbone, the above formation and the stacked or unbalanced flexbone formation:

Don't be fooled by the TE. This is more of an H-back. A role that a big FB type player would be positioned.

Under these scenario's, here is my guess as to our depth chart.

QB: 1.) Josh Nesbitt, 2.) Booker, 3.) Jaybo Shaw possibility of Dominque Reese switching positions.
FB/RB: 1.) Dwyer 2.) Quincy Kelly, 3.) Trevor Bray
SB left: 1.) Jamaal Evans 2.) Dwyer 3.) Peeples
SB right: 1.) Roddy Jones 2.) Dwyer
WR: 1.) Demarious Thomas, 2.) Greg Smith
WR: 1.) Corey Earls, 2.) J. Johnson
Left Tackle: 1.) Gardner 2.) Claytor
Left Guard: 1.) Lonowski 2.) Brown
Center: 1.) Dunman 2.) McRae
Right Guard: 1.) Voss 2.) Howard
Right Tackle: 1.) Yandell 1a) Howard 2.) AJ Smith

In the unbalanced formation, I would see Earls being the Wingback (WB), Dwyer at the FB, with Kelly as the TE/HB.

Discuss....
BarrelORum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
GT_LUVER
Dodd-like

Default Re: Depth Chart of PJ's offense.

Is he going to run anything out of the shotgun? I would like to see some plays run out of the shotgun to spread the defense out a little bit.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
clapper
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelORum View Post

I appreciate the visual aids, but they are making it hard for me to picture the offense with everything all scrunched together. Do you have any that show the true splits? Doesn't this offense use a wide split along the O-line, not the bunched version the picture appears to show? And you mentioned that the TE was really more like an H-Back, but I've always seen an H-Back lined up more like the SB's are in the top picture, but with a wider split off the tackle.
clapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
beej67
Dodd-like

Fwiw, I read/heard/etc that Johnson doesn't use the unbalanced version with the TE at all.

beej67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
GTROY
Helluva Engineer

I think I missed something. Although there's a good chance we'll run this traditional or pseudo-traditional TO, I haven't seen anyone confirm that this is what we're running for sure.

I may have missed a quote or something over the holidays. Did PJ come out and say that this was our offense? If not, isn't it just as likely that we'll run the "spread option" out of the shotgun?

GT Undergrad Class of 2009
GT Grad Class of 2010
GT MBA Class of 2012
GTROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
BeerNutts
Jolly Good Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTROY View Post
I think I missed something. Although there's a good chance we'll run this traditional or pseudo-traditional TO, I haven't seen anyone confirm that this is what we're running for sure.

I may have missed a quote or something over the holidays. Did PJ come out and say that this was our offense? If not, isn't it just as likely that we'll run the "spread option" out of the shotgun?
No, it isn't as likely we'll run out of the gun. CPJ has an offense, and it's based on the formation above. Out of the double-slot formation, he can just as easily run it as he can throw it (it's almost a 4-wide set...the receivers can get in their routes very quickly). We'll run the ball a ton, I guarantee it.
BeerNutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #7
Techbert
Dodd-like

It is my understanding that PJ's slotbacks rotated last year through left and right and out of the game. So we do not have to differentiate between left and right slots, the way we might about boundary and field corners, for example.
Techbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #8
beej67
Dodd-like

The AJC asked him "Will you switch and run things out of the shotgun?" and he responded, "Yeah, I'm just going to throw away my offense." I could feel the sarcasm leaking from the page.

I expect little to zero shotgun. I expect 80% of our plays to be out of this formation:

I expect half of our play calls to be the veer option or the trap option, and I expect them to work. A lot.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
beej67
Dodd-like

Here's a fun WRECKBONE link:

http://justindd.blogspot.com/2007/08...l-academy.html
Old 01-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #10
ContactBuzz
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerNutts View Post
No, it isn't as likely we'll run out of the gun. CPJ has an offense, and it's based on the formation above. Out of the double-slot formation, he can just as easily run it as he can throw it (it's almost a 4-wide set...the receivers can get in their routes very quickly). We'll run the ball a ton, I guarantee it.
In addition to that, take a look at the credentials of his offensive assistants and pay attention to recruiting. CPJ is bringing in people to run his offense.
ContactBuzz is online now   Reply With Quote