Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Football

Old 05-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #41
JTS
Helluva Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiveredtech View Post
I agree on Tevin...surprised he has come this far and he has hit the ceiling for him imho.

Recruting has been the same as always at GT but probably more athletic overall. We have only had 2, maybe3, Top 30 classes in the past three decades.

Regarding kickers and punters we have not really sought them out. Most kicker we have signed over the past 20 years have failed (Cornwell, Leone, Jordan, Newman, Belcher, etc). We have only signed one punter in 30 years and that was Rodney Williams 20 years ago who was #1 in the country. Ryan Rodwell is the first punter we have offered under PJ. We signed Justin Moore who was #1 in the state for high school and he has not been game consistent...just practice. We should sign Butker this year....but keep in mind that most kickers fail out of high school.
I really hate it when people give Tevin crap on this board because it is so obvious that he has put in an extraordinary amount of effort into getting better. He's probably getting darn near 100% out of his potential. If he ends up being the starter, don't complain about Tevin. Complain about the coaches not recruiting / developing a better QB.

The rankings never really tell the story about our recruiting classes. We usually have at least one standout player on our OL and DL. Right now, we have no standout DL or OL (Uzzi maybe) on our roster. I really like Orwin Smith as a player, but I don't really see him as a guy that should be your best offensive player.

While we are not Special Teams U, I think our kicking game is at or near a multi-decade low. You only have to recruit one good punter and kicker every 4 years. This should be a very achievable task.
JTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #42
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

Default Re: Specialty Coaching We Seem to be weak at WR QB Coaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiveredtech View Post
Agree. Statistically our offense was fine last year...even better.

The problem we had was situational. We had extreme inability to decision and execute appropriately "in bunches" like vs. UVA, Utah, and UGA. There is a segment of folks that believe our QB position struggled in tough situations last year to read appropriately and play aggressively. If game started off good or was "in control" then we continued to roll. A crunch time problem if you will.
I hear you. I recall a lot of third and shorts where, had we converted, we could have put the game in our pocket. Uga is a hard sell, because - as much as I hate to admit it - they actually had a pretty good defense last year. Not that we couldn't have done better (we could have), but 17 points wasn't awful. To me I think the best examples are uva, Utah, and VT, where if we continue to score we put the game away.
Legal Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #43
BuzzCzar
Dodd-like

the issue here is "looks". when you get the ball thrown at you only a few times per game or less it is hard to settle and make plays consistently

the fact that we keep sending WR to the NFL says to me the opposite of your premise. they learn how to block and run routes (although not all do it well all the time)

to me its a lack of doing it during games. practice is one thing, but doing what you practice in a game is a different thing.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #44
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS View Post
He's probably getting darn near 100% out of his potential. If he ends up being the starter, don't complain about Tevin. Complain about the coaches not recruiting / developing a better QB.

Right now, we have no standout DL or OL (Uzzi maybe) on our roster. I really like Orwin Smith as a player, but I don't really see him as a guy that should be your best offensive player.
Your first two sentences hit the nail on its head - don't get mad at TW for working his tail off and reaching his ceiling. Don't disparage the guy who is probably the hardest worker on the team and who has done arguably the most with possibly the least. In addition to the coaches, look to the other players who may have more talent but who let a harder worker pass them on the depth chart. Look at the guys who complain and who whine, who refuse to give everything they have. Those are the people who hold the team back. TW has given everything he's got and then some. If that's not good enough for some people, and they raise "talent" as their main complaint, then let the "talented" players outwork TW and earn the starting position.

Last paragraph - Uzzi is definitely a standout, assuming he plays. So too, imo, is Orwin. It's hard to have standouts at the moment because we are squarely on the bubble of the recruiting transition from CCG to CPJ. The RS-Juniors and Seniors on the team now were not recruited by CPJ from the very beginning. In fact, there is always an impact from a coaching turnover where the transition affects our ability to recruit. While we've already passed that transition period in terms of recruiting classes, the lead time for recruits to develop in valuable skill players dictates that we still have another year or two to go. If anything, that period is more difficult than using someone else's players.
Legal Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #45
BuzzCzar
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Jacket View Post
Don't disparage the guy who is probably the hardest worker on the team and who has done arguably the most with possibly the least.
this board loves to do this, just look at what was said about Reggie Ball
Old 05-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #46
ThisIsAtlanta
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzCzar View Post
Was that before, or after, he threw it away on 4th down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsapper View Post
Something something violate... something something your mom.... something something her NCAA
ThisIsAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #47
BuzzCzar
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAtlanta View Post
Was that before, or after, he threw it away on 4th down?
you mean when the coaches told him it was 3rd down?
and the refs had the marker showing 3rd down?

if was definitely after he beat Auburn twice with his effort and limited talent
Old 05-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #48
ThisIsAtlanta
Dodd-like

Quote:
you mean when the coaches told him it was 3rd down?
and the refs had the marker showing 3rd down?

if was definitely after he beat Auburn twice with his effort and limited talent
Counting to 4 is so hard. I need somebody else to do it for me, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsapper View Post
Something something violate... something something your mom.... something something her NCAA
ThisIsAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #49
BuzzCzar
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsAtlanta View Post
Counting to 4 is so hard. I need somebody else to do it for me, too.
have you ever played football? i remember that after one 60-yard sprint for what i thought was a touchdown in High School, i was wondering why i kept getting another chance to run the extra point in

later, when the adrenaline and light-headedness from heat and exertion wore off, i realized that i had not originally scored, but did two plays later. then the extra point kicking team came on

if it were so easy, how did so many make the same mistake? and why does a guy hold a sign?

if it werent hard, GT would have been unanimous national champions in 1990 because Colorado would never have been given a 5th down on which they won that game

but make your funnies
Old 05-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #50
hiveredtech
Dodd-like

Quote:
I am certainly not knocking him. As I said...it is amazing how far he has come. He was recruited as a QB/ATH late as we desperately need some depth at QB. The coaches thought all along he would end up at AB...multiple times came close to it...but Tevin always just hung in there and improved a little bit more and a little bit more. Glad to have him on the team.