Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  
Old 05-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #31
andrew
Dodd-like

Default Re: Jimbo is 2-0 vs. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwg View Post
beat them 31-7 and 21-7 so he's outscored them 52-14 the last two seasons and out recruited them each year. I think they're doing just fine in-state. BTW, he's 2-0 against UM also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT flunkout View Post
...and no ACC titles to show for it. In the context of that supporting their exit from the ACC, it's a fail.
I could be wrong but I don't think he was talking about wins and losses. Those are irrelevant -- they can change drastically within a year.

Fanbase and general state interest are much more important because they mean a lot more when TV time rolls around. In that aspect, we are not doing well at all, for a variety of reasons, all of which have been discussed ad nauseum.

Clemson certainly doesn't have that problem. I can't say I know too much about FSU's fanbase or relevance in Florida but I would guess they aren't struggling either.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #32
hiveredtech
Dodd-like

Default Re: FSU and CU to the Big XII?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Koholic View Post
So, let me get this straight. FSU needs to move in part because of the abysmal financial state of their Athletic Department, so they're going to pony up $20 million dollars to lose one of their biggest rivals and gain the ability to play Baylor and Iowa State?

Right...
Read the entire article...he notes the Big12 would pay half the buyout just as they did for West Virginia making it $10 million each for FSU and Clemson. This amount would be made up in year one, no later than year two.

Who knows what moves may happen but I do get the feeling more will come in the next 1-3 years. Notre Dame is the catalyst for us it appears. If they join the Big10 we are likely to get offered shortly after to leave the ACC and join the Big10 for much larger $$ than we make in the ACC.

The ACC could also stay in tact and add Notre Dame....the ACC and Big10 have an open invite to them...then we would add one more team along with them.

Bottom line...it is not too far fetched to see either an implosion of the ACC where GT, FSU, and Clemson leave...or the ACC pulls off a genius move to bring in Notre Dame and another while keeping everyone. The question is...how much do you believe in Swofford to figure it out?
Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #33
BuzzDraft
Jolly Good Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTsapper View Post
Based on the horrible style and grammatical issues, I'm guessing a kid wrote this.
Worse, a hilljack from WV.

This rumor got started on some *.eers site and they're flooding other message boards hoping their rumor can come true. They're still butt hurt that the ACC, SEC, and B1G have zero interest in them.

The Big12 will survive only as long as it amuses Deloss Dodds and he ordains it. IF FSU and Clem were to join that, they deserve everything they'll get.
BuzzDraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #34
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

This doesn't seem believable to me for a number of reasons:

1) Big 12 just got a full time commish. I don't think they'd have expansion of Clemson and FSU anywhere near locked before he got there and/or they had time to consider everything. Looking to corporations as an example, you don't really discuss major acquisitions when transferring from an interim CEO to a full time CEO.

2) They are currently negotiating a TV deal for purportedly $19 million per team per year for 10 teams. It's remarkable that the article suggests that there is a dollar figure for a purported contract that includes Clemson and FSU. No TV station in its right mind is going to waste its time negotiating hypotheticals. Instead, they'd include a clause that allows the current contract to remain in place while a new contract is being negotiated in the event of league expansion.

3) Can't really see Clemson and FSU excited to play in a conference with Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State. Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech would probably form the west/north division. East would probably be WVU, TCU, Baylor, Texas, FSU, Clemson, though I could see some attempt to even things out.

Could ultimately be true, but it just seems too odd and unsettled to be anywhere near "likely," especially guesswork over how much their TV contract would be. Big 12 now gets 15 mil per team and they are trying to get 4 more per team in re-negotiations. I find it very hard to believe that adding Clemson and FSU would somehow net them another 10 million for EACH TEAM, particularly since the biggest conferences pay out about 21 mil (SEC I think is ~17 million).

Further, you'd think Clemson and FSU would wait to see the result of the ACC negotiation and see what happens there after expansions and/or wait to see if they got an invite to the SEC.
Legal Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #35
aeromech
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwg View Post
beat them 31-7 and 21-7 so he's outscored them 52-14 the last two seasons and out recruited them each year. I think they're doing just fine in-state. BTW, he's 2-0 against UM also.
Yippee! they've won 2 of the last 8. Maybe FSU is the stuff out in the panhandle; but I've been to Florida on vacation twice in the last 6 months and didn't see much FSU wise along the I-75 corridor. The state of Florida has too many teams for any of them to completely dominate; but I still think UF is the default team for the majority of Floridians.

Clemson has lost their last 3 against USC too, each by more than 2 touchdowns. I saying the argument that Clemson and FSU are leaving because GT is down against UGA is silly. Here's a newsflash, the ACC is down against SEC rivals; but don't try and pretend it is just a GT problem.
aeromech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #36
hiveredtech
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromech View Post
Yippee! they've won 2 of the last 8. Maybe FSU is the stuff out in the panhandle; but I've been to Florida on vacation twice in the last 6 months and didn't see much FSU wise along the I-75 corridor. The state of Florida has too many teams for any of them to completely dominate; but I still think UF is the default team for the majority of Floridians.

Clemson has lost their last 3 against USC too, each by more than 2 touchdowns. I saying the argument that Clemson and FSU are leaving because GT is down against UGA is silly. Here's a newsflash, the ACC is down against SEC rivals; but don't try and pretend it is just a GT problem.
JAX is probably split FSU/Florida. Tallahassee westward to
Pensacola (thru Panama City, Destin, and Fort Walton) is mostly FSU but not by much over Florida. Miami is non-existent. Not far behind FSU, Florida is LSU (3 hours west of Pensacola), Auburn (2.5 hours north), and Alabama (tons of them since they started winning again). In summary, the state of Florida is such a melting pot it really does not have a dominant team. If I was a betting man and going by feel of living here for 12 years I would give it to the Gators.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 PM   #37
midatlantech
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT flunkout View Post
FSU and Clemson domination over not only their state, but also GT over the last decade clearly proves this point, along with our similar record of success to UVA, WF, and Duke.

Oh wait...were you serious? Can't tell....

Clemson and FSU WANT to be a football player. Georgia Tech does not.

Clemson and FSU WANT to dominate football in their state and are worried about the monetary chasm forming between them and their state rival. Georgia Tech has completely abdicated the state.

Clemson and FSU WANT to play regional rivalries. Georgia Tech's AD at the time wanted to play VPI.

Clemson and FSU WANT to compete with the SEC. Georgia Tech does not care.
midatlantech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:27 PM   #38
midatlantech
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiveredtech View Post
Pensacola (thru Panama City, Destin, and Fort Walton) is mostly FSU but not by much over Florida. Miami is non-existent. Not far behind FSU, Florida is LSU (3 hours west of Pensacola), Auburn (2.5 hours north), and Alabama (tons of them since they started winning again). In summary, the state of Florida is such a melting pot it really does not have a dominant team. If I was a betting man and going by feel of living here for 12 years I would give it to the Gators.
Florida is so split that whoever is hot right now is who most in the state root for. When FSU was king, they dominated the state in areas such as Tampa and Orlando.

Miami has dominated in the past in south Florida.

Florida kicked back in with Tebow and like all state universities have a real advantage.
midatlantech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #39
GT_LUVER
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiveredtech View Post
Im starting to see a lot of USF apparel as well especially when you get south of Jax and Panama City.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #40
hiveredtech
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_LUVER View Post
Im starting to see a lot of USF apparel as well especially when you get south of Jax and Panama City.
I am even seeing some up here in the panhandle...and of course the panhandle was specifically what I was responding to in my post.
You are correct though...I am seeing some USF stuff around. Part of it is that UF is going much harder to get into out of high school so you are seeing more kids heading to USF.