Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Basketball

Old 04-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
killerbuzz42
Dodd-like

Default Re: What did you see in Brian Gregory's first season?

A lot of good answers here so far. I'd like to add that I like what he is doing as far as getting former players back in the fold and repairing some of the metro atlanta relationships that were reported to have soured under Hewitt. I felt like the team played hard. Thats something that can be easily seen in defense and rebounding.

We had serious issue with LONG scoring droughts that cost us a good handful of games. Not scoring for 7-8 minutes is unacceptable and ALL that can't be just poor shooting. I do remember CBG saying though, that he would fix defense and rebounding first and the offense would come later. We will see about the offense next year and then by the mid point of year three we should really know what we have in CBG
killerbuzz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
RamblinRed
Jolly Good Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechPhi97 View Post
I saw a team that played hard the whole game. If you didn't play hard the whole game, Coach yanked you immediately. For the first time in a while, the team had a focus on what they wanted to do.

Individually, I was very pleased with Holsey, Miller, and Udofia's development. Especially Udofia - we were a wasteland for PG's that needed to develop, and Udofia was very much improved last year. I was impressed by that.

Execution was the problem area I saw. Guys just couldn't hit shots when they were open. It needs to improve or we'll see the same results.

I will say that this program is a totally renovation job, and this was a good first step. I think we've re-framed the house; next step is to get all the system in place, which I think we've done a good job planning (recruiting). The following year, it needs to come together with an elite PG recruit and I think we're back in the tournament.
I like this but will add rather than a total remodel I see this as a total rebuild. To me yr 1 was realizing that the structure was not stable and needed to be razed and rebuilt from the ground floor. So this year was more about razing the previous structure (breaking old habits and ideas). I think yr 2 will be more about building the frame.

On the negative side I will say the defense needs to be better about forcing TO (not like the old regime, but closer to what Michigan State does). Also, shooting has to get better.

RamblinRed
RamblinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
atlanta jacket
Dodd-like

Great improvement on defense, a team in dire need of scorers. I have my doubts about consistent 20 win seasons. It is really too early to try to evaluate.
atlanta jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
AE 87
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77GTFan View Post
I liked the improvement with post players - Miller and Holsey have improved. Our inside defense was pretty good.
I thought we were a decent defensive team.
I thought that except for Rice, kids bought in to what we were doing and seemed to respect the coach.
I thought he took responsibility for his decisions.

I did not like the offensive ineptitude.
I did not sense he ever had the team really pumped up to play a great game.
I did not see the improvement and development in wing players.
I like the incoming recruits - not crazy about them, but a good first class.

He beat UGA and NCSU. I like that.
Pretty Good Look.

I would add that I have a concern that we sometimes didn't seem to be able to respond when the opposing team adjusted their D to counter our offensive strategy. I'm not sure that all of our offensive problems stemmed from missing open shots.
AE 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
BuzzLaw
Dodd-like

I think we lost a couple of games, but who really saw anything?

Sometime around midyear, everyone told me to give him 2 years and then pay attention. I'm trying to take that advice.
BuzzLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #16
nedleeds
Dodd-like

We tanked a couple of games. Got up and played well for a couple.

Defense was mostly awful, but slowly improved from the beatings like Northwestern and Alabama.

Offense was basically unwatchable. Though we did inbound the ball, the resulting possession was typically a fumbling mess resulting in some dreadful shot or a turnover. The few open shots we took were mostly bricks. Our post players have a few less moves than Kwame Brown.

Overall it was miserable sitting there watching this team get humiliated at home most nights. Setting a record for basketball ineptitude in the shot clock era in the ACC tourney was a ----ing ---- cherry on a turd sundae.

Brian Gregory basically did nothing with nearly nothing.
lack of adherents, were cast upon the scrap heap of mythology millennia ago; for there is no more evidence to justify a belief in the literal existence of Yahweh and Satan than there was to keep Zeus perched upon his mountain throne or Poseidon churning the seas.
nedleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #17
sutt0n
Helluva Engineer

I'll be honest, I was disappointed at first, but I never realized how bare Hewitt left this team. This team was not very talented at all and I think Gregory did a good job with what he had. The offense and defense will get better next year solely because players will be more comfortable and be able to just play instead of thinking all the time. That being said, I'm not expecting an NCAA bid next season. I don't think we have the guard play to be a tournament team. Maybe bolden and heyward will come in and be great, but I think this team is still at least a season away from being what we want. Got to give the guy time to get rid of hewitts players and bring in his own.
sutt0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
jacketup
Helluva Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post

Defense was mostly awful.

Brian Gregory basically did nothing with nearly nothing.

Defensive PPG --in the top 20% of Division 1.

Defensive FG% --just outside the top 10% of Division 1.

Blocked shots ---in the top 10% of Division 1.

What was "mostly awful" about the defense?
jacketup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 AM   #19
nedleeds
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketup View Post
Defensive PPG --in the top 20% of Division 1.

Defensive FG% --just outside the top 10% of Division 1.

Blocked shots ---in the top 10% of Division 1.

What was "mostly awful" about the defense?
Did you go to any games? Did you watch any games?
lack of adherents, were cast upon the scrap heap of mythology millennia ago; for there is no more evidence to justify a belief in the literal existence of Yahweh and Satan than there was to keep Zeus perched upon his mountain throne or Poseidon churning the seas.
nedleeds is offline   Reply With Quote