Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Other Sports

Old 04-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #61
jacket1515
Helluva Engineer

Default Re: Official 2012 Atlanta Braves Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJacket View Post
Fredi is the absolute worst manager in the game today. Why in the world would you waste Venters when his over use was a huge criticism last year? On the bright side, it's good to see Medlen back and good to see Pastornicky have a solid debut.

What the hell is up with Hanson's velocity? It's been going down since he made it to the league. I thought he was a power pitcher, but he is barely hitting 90 these days.
I didn't really have a problem with bringing Venters in in a one-run game.

Everything else Fredi did was borderline retart. Letting Diaz hit vs. a RHP with the bases loaded, then double-switching him out of the game the next 1/2 inning, letting Constanza hit, vs. a LHP no less.

The Braves edge in close games due to their stellar bullpen may be leveled out a bit by their manager.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #62
Architorture23
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacket1515 View Post

Everything else Fredi did was borderline retart. Letting Diaz hit vs. a RHP with the bases loaded, then double-switching him out of the game the next 1/2 inning, letting Constanza hit, vs. a LHP no less.

The Braves edge in close games due to their stellar bullpen may be leveled out a bit by their manager.
this is absolutely true. I believe Fredi lost this team ~10 games last year with his stupidity and he's already at 1 this year.

AND WHY IS DIAZ ON THE ROSTER?
Architorture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #63
eneq
Dodd-like

Diaz had a .500 career average vs Santana, that's why he started
eneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #64
jacket1515
Helluva Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneq View Post
Diaz had a .500 career average vs Santana, that's why he started
I had very little issue with him starting. I had an issue with him being up against a RHP in a high-leverage situation.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #65
GTBJW
Dodd-like

Quote:
I had very little issue with him starting. I had an issue with him being up against a RHP in a high-leverage situation.
Agreed. He is better against lefties.

Last 3 years BA: vs LH .329 vs RH .241
GTBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #66
The Jacket
Dodd-like

I really don't let myself get worked up over managerial decisions in the first chunk of games. Even if that were not the case, I don't look at yesterday's game and put the blame on Fredi. We had our chances, and should have gotten the tying run and no less than two additional runs. We just weren't swinging the bat well. Add one clutch swing to our bases loaded situation when Santana seemed to be having a meltdown, and we probably win 3-1.

But we didn't, so instead I file the game away and hope that as the season progresses the boys will have less and less in common with their 2011 selves. I think we'll take the next two. Really no good reason to not win every series against the Mets.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #67
etc79
Dodd-like

Quote:

Oh and it wasnt Diaz....it was Bourne...Diaz actually was only one of four players to get a hit...
etc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #68
Architorture23
Dodd-like

Everybody wants to talk about how good Diaz is against lefties. He is not good against lefties anymore. He used to be, but in 2010 he hit .273/.318/.512 and last year he was .295/.336/.356 against lefties. If you're going to platoon 2 players you want to platoon guys that hit remarkably better against one or the other. He is not good enough against lefties anymore to be useful to this team.
Architorture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #69
Vespidie
Jolly Good Fellow

Diaz is still playing the game because he can hit the baseball....period. He's a defensive liability but the guy can hit.

Give credit where credit is due....Santana AND Hanson pitched very well, however the Braves couldn't get the LOB guys across the plate when they needed to. One game doesn't make or break a season.
Vespidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #70
jacket1515
Helluva Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespidie View Post
Diaz is still playing the game because he can hit the baseball....period. He's a defensive liability but the guy can hit.

Give credit where credit is due....Santana AND Hanson pitched very well, however the Braves couldn't get the LOB guys across the plate when they needed to. One game doesn't make or break a season.
I'm pretty sure that if you go back and look at the final standings last year, one game did indeed break the season.