Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Football

Old 05-06-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
GaTech63
Damn Good Rat

Default Specialty Coaching We Seem to be weak at WR QB Coaching

CPJ hired a special teams coach and the results are yet to be seen. But when a WR that only catches 49 passes and seems to have dropped almost as many, goes in the 2nd round of the NFL and gets 5 mil. some other specialty coaching seems to be missing. Hill goes to a specialty coach before the combine to learn how to run routes? Catch? Then impresses at the combine?? Why could this not have been coached while he was here.

Our receivers could be hit in the hands a 100% of the time and we still would not have a completion % as high as Texas Tech under Leach or of McCoy when at Texas.

Our QBs can't hit the receivers. Nesbitt had a strong arm but no touch and inconsistent. Washington is inconsistent and lacks arm strength. Days having trouble with happy feet.

Seems to me we are missing ability to coach up receiving and passing skills. If we are, then Vad could be like Hill and not reach his potential while at GT. I like CPJ but as head coach he is responsible for capability of his staff.

I thought this would make a decent discussion topic during this "dead" time. I don't recall this being discussed. What say you?
GaTech63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #2
GTsapper
Dodd-like

Default Re: Specialty Coaching We Seem to be weak at WR QB Coaching

This should be interesting.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTCorndog View Post
I don't dislike Clemson. I just know I'm more likely to get crabs than lobster at both places.
GTsapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
GTLiebs
Dodd-like

I take it you never saw Washington pass when he was new here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Thou shalt runneth the rocket toss.
GTLiebs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #4
nvastinger
Helluva Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLiebs View Post
I take it you never saw Washington pass when he was new here.
Gods that was horrifying. I didn't think he'd ever see the field back then. I didn't think he'd ever see the sideline.
nvastinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
jacketup
Helluva Engineer

Buzz Preston. Research how many recruits he is responsible for signing each year, then tell me how he still has a job.

Must be some very revealing photos.
jacketup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
hiveredtech
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketup View Post
Buzz Preston. Research how many recruits he is responsible for signing each year, then tell me how he still has a job.

Must be some very revealing photos.
of course...imagine how the resume would read.

"He knows how to prepare WR's for the NFL...he is the only WR coach in the NCAA to have a first round and second round pick in the NFL draft over the past three seasons. This is especially impressive from a run-based option offense."
Old 05-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
wesleyd21
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketup View Post
I'm not so sure how credible that "research" is. Do you look it up on Rivals or something? Not sure how accurate or factually correct the list of coaches who are recruiting each recruit is.

As for the OP's assertion....not really buying it. Other than telling a player to STOP CATCHING IT WITH THEIR BODY...you can't teach someone to catch a football. You have to recruit people who can catch a football.

The only thing I would fault Paul Johnson on would be lack of defensive linemen....and he's been unlucky there. Not neglectful. However, if he keeps recruiting HUGE BUSTS at the DL position, he's gonna find himself in hot water sooner than later.

Just wait until after we don't win good enough.
wesleyd21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #8
hiveredtech
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyd21 View Post
I'm not so sure how credible that "research" is. Do you look it up on Rivals or something? Not sure how accurate or factually correct the list of coaches who are recruiting each recruit is.
The Rivals site is extremely accurate on the recruiting coach...even lists two if it was a tag team. BP did not have any last year but had Nick Menocal, Jeff Greene, and Zach Laskey the year before.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
hiveredtech
Dodd-like

Quote:
The only thing I would fault Paul Johnson on would be lack of defensive linemen....and he's been unlucky there. Not neglectful. However, if he keeps recruiting HUGE BUSTS at the DL position, he's gonna find himself in hot water sooner than later.
People have been complaining about DL recruitment at GT as long as I can remember...and I have followed recruiting closely for 30 years.

I am not sure who these huge busts you speak of are though.

Year 1- We were the only ones to give TJ Barnes a shot at the DL as others wanted him as an OL. He would not be considered a "HUGE BUST". Antonio Wilson had a career ending neck injury early on.

Year 2- This group started to show last year and will have 2 starters this year. Izaan Cross, Euclid Cummings, Emmanuel Dieker, and Chris Crenshaw. So far, Crenshaw has just been stuck in the change to a 3-3 as he was recruited as a 4-3 DE. JC Lanier is the first legit bust...but we were also the only ones to take him as a DL as most wanted him as an OL.

Year 3- Denzel McCoy picked GT over 30+ offers but then it was discovered he has a medical condition. Anthony Williams picked us over just about every SEC and ACC school...and has really started to come on and has finally put on some weight. He is #2 on the depth chart and will be on the field on every passing down this year. Shawn Green chose GT over Auburn and other big schools...had two unrelated freak injuries his first two season which kept him from conditioning....but has 3 years left, had a great spring, and will see 20+ snaps per game this year behind Barnes.

Anyone from years 4 and 5 are far too young to even look at right now. They are Jimmie Kitchen (chose GT over Ole Miss), Pat Gamble (chose GT over UGA), Francis Kallon (chose GT over everyone), Rod Chungong (chose GT over Stanford, Mich. St., UVA, NCState, etc.), and Ryan Gotsis (NT or OT...probably an OT long term).
Old 05-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
GaTech63
Damn Good Rat

Quote:

As for the OP's assertion....not really buying it. Other than telling a player to STOP CATCHING IT WITH THEIR BODY...you can't teach someone to catch a football. You have to recruit people who can catch a football.
From WSC Spring notes "Leach also mentioned the tennis ball machine he's been using, saying they've got one right now and probably need a couple more. Tennis balls have been a big part of the drills focusing on fundamentals because they help with hand-eye coordination and force players to catch with their hands, not their bodies. If you can catch a tennis ball, odds are you'll do fine with a football."

At TTech I understood he used these machines almost every practice and I thought over a 100 balls per day to each receiver.

Going to be interesting to see how WSC does under Leach. Interesting reading on his approach to strength and conditioning while on the practice field. BTW I am not a Leach or TTech fan. Heard about the use of the tennis ball machine and thought it made sense. Not so sure about his approach to S and C on the practice field.

http://www.cougcenter.com/2012/3/30/...ice-mike-leach

"Speaking of injuries, the new strength and conditioning area off to the side looks like the worst thing ever. Previously, injured players would ride an exercise bike over by the shed on the CUB side of the field. Now, there's a whole strength and conditioning area over by the library parking garage. The bikes are still there, along with sets of thick ropes (for arm workouts), a sledgehammer and giant tire (again, arm workouts), and the sand pit (grueling leg workouts).

The purpose of the strength and conditioning area is two-fold. The obvious use is to keep an injured player in shape, as well as helping out with their recovery. The other part? It discourages sitting out with soreness. If a player isn't feeling it one day and wants to sit out with a sore muscle or whatever -- again, not a serious injury such as head trauma, ligament problems or significant muscle strains -- they'll think twice. The work done in the strength and conditioning area is absolutely grueling -- way less fun that practice itself.
The offseason conditioning was strenuous, as expected. Strength coach Jason Loscalzo put the players through their paces and many have come back slimmed down as a result. They ran, then they ran, then they ran before. And yes, the running has continued in practice."
GaTech63 is offline   Reply With Quote