Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  

Go Back   Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board > Sports Topics > Football

Old 04-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
05GTCorndog
Dodd-like

Default Practice Report w/ Stats

Here are the stats I compiled from practice today. I kept these myself and occasionally I'd miss a play so they aren't official or anything, but they should be pretty close. Also, I missed TW's first two possessions, so those are excluded:

Passing
Lee 7 of 10 79 yards 0 INT 0 TD
Days 3 of 9 26 yards 1 INT 0 TD
Tevin 3 of 8 16 yards 0 INT 0 TD
Andrews 0 of 1 0 yards 0 INT 0 TD

Rushing
Days 15 for 151 3 TDs, 0 fumbles
Perkins 4 for 68
Lee 17 for 60 yards 1 TD, 4 fumbles, 2 fumbles lost
Laskey 5 for 27
Bostic 3 for 26
Tevin 4 for 25
Andrews 7 for 12 1 fumble
Connors 1 for 6
Sims 1 for 5
Snoddy 1 for -4

Receiving
Godhigh 2 for 25
Laskey 1 for 25
Hill 2 for 23
Moore 1 for 10
Bostic 3 for 9
Waller 1 for 8
Sims 1 for 7
Greene 1 for 6
Zenon 1 for -3

EDIT:

I missed the first or possibly first two possessions with TW running the show.

Days with the #2O vs #2D: Laskey had a nice hard run up the middle for about 20 to start. A series of short runs by Laskey, Bostic and Days moved the chains and on a 3rd and 5, Days busted what looked like a midline option keeper for 35 yards up the middle for a TD. XP good by Moore

Lee with the #1O vs #1D: Lee scrambled for 5 followed by about a 55 yard run by Perkins down to about the 2 yard line. I thought he might take it the distance but was caught (not sure by whom). Two consecutive fumbled snaps under center set up a 3rd and goal from the 4. Lee bootlegged left and turned it up for a TD. XP good by Scully

Lee with the #1O vs the #1D: Lee shook off a pass rusher and dumped it off to Hill for 15 yards. A throwaway pass and three runs by Lee moved the chains, including a 4th and short QB sneak. Lee hit Bostic for 8 and Moore for 10 on consecutive throws. Moore made a great reach back catch on a slant that was thrown behind him. Next play was a fumble from under center that was lost.

Lee with the #2O vs the #2D: Lee hit Waller on a slant for 8. A series of pistol set zone read plays were run here resulting an average of 3-4 yards a pop. Lee fumbled another snap under center and the ball popped right into Perkins' hands. A quick reaction here saved a turnover and resulted in a 2 yard gain. Beno called for a false start and a QB draw by Lee on 3rd and long got 5 yards and forced a punt. Beno had a rough series here.

Washington with the #1O vs the #1D: Play action off a pistol set, read option play resulted in a deep incompletion to Godhigh. Looked like there was some problem with the communication because two receivers were in the area and created traffic 30+ yards downfield. Bostic caught a pass in the flat but was tackled for no gain. On 3rd and long, a bubble screen wide to Green went for 6 yards.

Washington with the #1O vs the #1D: TW ran for his life on first down and threw the ball away. OL got blown up on that play. Next play again he ran for his life but got the ball to Godhigh for 9 yards. Sims took a dive play up the middle for 5 and a 1st down. Godhigh was open and dropped a pass. He definitely heard footsteps and lost concentration. TW showed some pocket presence and stepped up and made a few guys miss on a 9 yard scramble. A designed QB sweep from the pistol got 7. Bostic wasn't aggressive enough in seeking out his block and PJ was heard everywhere in the stadium yelling at Bostic "Go get him BJ. Don't wait for him. You know it is a run." Consecutive read option plays resulted in 4 yards for TW and about 15 for Bostic. TW overthrew Bostic over the middle and a nice option pitch (not sure to whom) resulted in 7 yards to the left. This was negated by a holding call on Jeff Greene. Next play TW tried to put it up in the left corner of the end zone for Greene who had 1 on 1 coverage, but put it about 3 yards out of bounds left and long. A dump pass on 3rd and long to Sims got some yards back, but not enough resulting in a 32 yard FG attempt that was subsequently no good off the upright by Moore.

They broke here for some ST assignment drills. Nothing appeared full speed here but mostly looked like they were just lining up and getting the assignments down. McDonald had 2 punts which were high and long, Poole's not so much. Scully, Moore and Tanner took turns each kicking one kickoff and Scully's went 3 yards deep. Moore's was low and short and Tanners was very high and short.

Lee with the #1O vs the #1D: Lee ran up the middle for 7 and then scrambled finding Hill on a nice comeback play by Hill for 8. Lee made a nice pitch on a straight option play with Perkins from the pistol set which gained 9. Lee moved the sticks two plays later on a run off right tackle. On a wheel route up the right side, someone got some alligator arms when they saw Jemea coming at them and dropped the ball. Jemea didn't blow them up, but in a game situation, I think the receiver might've needed to be carted off. Jemea pulled up but could've crushed the intended receiver. A good read on the read-option got 20 for Zenon. Lee took off up the middle for about 10 and the next play Laskey punched it in from 2 yards out. XP good by Chau.

There were a few shitty possessions here with Andrews and Byerly that resulted in nothing. The OL couldn't block the DL and it got ugly.

Days with the #1O vs the #1D: A swing pass to Zenon was sniffed out for a 3 yard loss, but days moved the chains with a very shifty 13 yard run on 2nd down. Two short runs by Days and an incomplete (low) slant pass to Waller resulted in an end to the drive.

Days with the #2O vs the #2D: Dennis came on a blitz and got to Days. he threw it up and Sneezy picked it off in the backfield. I think Sneezy would've taken that ball back for 6.

Days with the #2O vs the #2D (but a few plays in I saw a lot of #1O and #1D players, so I think they were mixing up the players much more this drive: Days started with a nice run to the left for about 25 yards and then a nice 9 yard run up the middle. Another low incompletion on a slant to Waller made it 3rd and 1 which was picked up with a strong run up the middle. Days kept again for 9 up the gut. The next play Laskey made a very nice play chipping a blitzer then getting out in the flat for a completion. He got enough of a block to give Days some time to float it out to him. He turned it up for 25 and finished his run nicely diving to the 2. Two consecutive jump balls in the right corner of the end zone resulted in two incompletions (though I think Jemea should've gotten flagged for PI on the 1st). Days took the last snap in and ran off the left side for a 2 yard TD to end the practice. XP good by Moore.

So for those keeping score:

Drive comparison
Vad: 1 TD versus 1st string
1 TO versus the 1st string
1 TO versus 2nd string
1 punt versus 2nd team
1 TD versus 1st string

Days: 1 TD versus 2nd string
1 punt versus 1st string
1 TO (likely a pick 6) versus 1st string
1 TD versus 2nd string

TW: 1 punt versus 1st team
1 32 yard missed fg versus 1st team

We ran A LOT of stuff from the pistol set. From my count of the 91 plays, I have over 35% as being run from this formation and I think the number might be much higher (I didn't write down the formation for every play). The read option was very successful and hopefully we'll utilize it in the future as it was successful in stretching out the defense more and giving the QBs an easier time making the reads. Days had a helluva day running the ball and finishes his runs with a Nesbitt-esque force. On 4th and 2, I'd take my chances with Days over anyone else. Lee also was strong and much more efficient in the passing game. He didn't hit anything too far downfield, but his completion percentage of 70% brought a tear to my eye. However, he had a horrible time taking snaps under center and put the ball down too often. Days and TW each did not fumble today which was a good sign of progress IMO. Bostic, Godhigh and Hill all made some plays at AB and looked good. The BB didn't get much work but Laskey had a nice carry and Perkins almost took one the distance. Sims just didn't get many carries, so hard to say anything here. He had a good 1st scrimmage and looks to be the clear #1 at BB at this point.

I didn't spend much time focusing on the defense, but Sweeting played exclusively at Safety and I thought both Hunt-Days and Barnes were very impressive. Barnes is holding the point much better and looks to be playing lower and occupying blockers. Hunt-Days had a ton of tackles and seemed to be around the ball a lot.

Well thats all I got for now. Peace out bitches.

Last edited by 05GTCorndog; 04-14-2012 at 01:02 PM.
05GTCorndog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
alpha
Dodd-like

Default Re: Practice Report w/ Stats

Thanks.

Is Perkins going against 2nd string defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJackets89 View Post
Not only did he renounce his fan hood, his family came together in a meeting and decided they were all shitty fans.
alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
MtownJacket
Dodd-like

Its gotta be Vad. You have to pass effectively to win when you get the chance and Tevin and Days don't cut it. Days at AB, Vad at QB with a solid backup in TW is what we have been waiting for to have this offense explode.
It's much more fun to tap someone on the shoulder, ask them what year it is, respond to their answer with a look of solemn distress, quietly thank them and walk in the other direction as quickly as possible.
MtownJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Nashville Jacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtownJacket View Post
Its gotta be Vad. You have to pass effectively to win when you get the chance and Tevin and Days don't cut it. Days at AB, Vad at QB with a solid backup in TW is what we have been waiting for to have this offense explode.
Turnovers will kill you though. If he gets that fixed he's got a real shot at starting in the fall.
Old 04-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
MtownJacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTaxJacket View Post
Except it looks like Vad has fumbleitis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Jacket View Post
Turnovers will kill you though. If he gets that fixed he's got a real shot at starting in the fall.
All but one of those fumbles were QB-C exchanges. Most likley a product of swapping between multiple centers.
It's much more fun to tap someone on the shoulder, ask them what year it is, respond to their answer with a look of solemn distress, quietly thank them and walk in the other direction as quickly as possible.
MtownJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
All but one of those fumbles were QB-C exchanges. Most likley a product of swapping between multiple centers.
It was a problem the others didn't seem to have. The goal line fumble would have killed us in a game too.
Legal Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Its gotta be Vad. You have to pass effectively to win when you get the chance and Tevin and Days don't cut it. Days at AB, Vad at QB with a solid backup in TW is what we have been waiting for to have this offense implode.
fify. Vad had serious ball control problems today. Also Tevin's pass stats I think are a bit misleading given the plays we ran when he was in at QB. Granted I agree that Vad's a better passer, but he wouldn't have thrown for more than 20 yards total with the plays we were calling for TW.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
BuzzLaw
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Jacket View Post
fify. Vad had serious ball control problems today. Also Tevin's pass stats I think are a bit misleading given the plays we ran when he was in at QB. Granted I agree that Vad's a better passer, but he wouldn't have thrown for more than 20 yards total with the plays we were calling for TW.
There is a reason why we are calling run plays with TW though, and I believe that reason is he can't pass as well as Vad.

I think JN fumbled about 8 times during the first spring game. Though I'm sure a Vad fumble could cost us a game with our front-loaded schedule, I see him as the starter if he improves as JN did. His upside is just too good.
BuzzLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLaw View Post
There is a reason why we are calling run plays with TW though, and I believe that reason is he can't pass as well as Vad.

I think JN fumbled about 8 times during the first spring game. Though I'm sure a Vad fumble could cost us a game with our front-loaded schedule, I see him as the starter if he improves as JN did. His upside is just too good.
1) I don't see how the playcalling had anything to do their abilities. You must not have been at the practice. Vad, because of his fumbles, faced a few 3rd and longs. A lot of the short TW passes weren't on passing downs. Don't get me wrong, you are right generally speaking that we call more passing plays with Vad, because he can't run the run plays, and more run plays with TW, because he's not as good of a passer and he's got the run plays down a bit better. But there was a good deal of situational playcalling in there. TW launched one or two deep, but its obviously harder throwing to our #1 secondary, esp bc there's not a whole bunch of difference between our #2 WRs and our #1 WRs.

2) Bad comparison. Nesbitt was our starter the first year because he was basically all we had. If we had a Sr QB who had been in the system for four years, he likely would have started over Nesbitt (in fact, I'll go out on a limb and say this year's TW would likely start over 2008 JN). There was nobody to replace JN if he fumbled 25 times. With Vad this year, we already have a guy (TW) who has won 8 games and who doesn't fumble. JN didn't have to improve to become the starter because he WAS the starter. Plus, Nesbitt wasn't a beacon of ball control in 2008 - he fumbled in 5 of his first 7 games.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #10
Architorture23
Dodd-like

I could have sworn SD had issues with the snap at least once today.