Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  
Old 04-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #1
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

Default Practice Report

Got there ~ 10 so missed the beginning. Here are my thoughts:

1) Cyptom / Corndog - think you guys may have been behind me. Were y'all 5th - 10th row, ~ 25 yard line, north end of the east stands?

2) Days is one of the best runners on the team, regardless of position. Too bad he can't throw well and can't take a snap consistently. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets moved to another position as soon as this season. He probably broke more tackles than the rest of the team combined today. He just makes too many simple mistakes with ball control to be a reliable QB.

3) Lee has become a prolific passer. The only ball I saw him throw that was not a tight spiral was caught 45 yards downfield from where he threw it. He was snapping off tight passes on the drives I saw him in. I think he made a couple of bad TO reads the first drive, setting up the long pass to (I think) Greene. He looks great as a passer. Also had a really nice run where he hit the hole on a designed QB sweep (or speed option where it was obvious the pitch was covered, couldn't tell bc the read was so obvious). Made a cut / broken tackle at the sideline that turned a 7-10 yard gain into a 40-50 yard TD. Overall looked really good. Most if not all of the freshman mistakes that kept him from starting last year are gone. He should get a pretty good look at starting this year, and his ability to start will probably be based on how comfortable he gets with his reads. At the very least I think he will get a good bit of snaps throughout.

4) Washington - Didn't really play. I saw him in one series and I think he played one before I got there. Made a few nice short, tight passes where only our WR could go up and get it. Nothing unexpected. Seems pretty clear Johnson is trying to get a better look at VL and SD and already knows what he has in TW.

5) Other QBs got a lot of snaps. Andrews looks pretty quick and throws a nice ball. A lot of mistakes from everyone though.

6) A lot of pistol formation. Could just be so we don't get sacked in practice. Regardless, it was fun to watch - especially when Vad was QB.

7) Not much from the ABs or BBs. I saw a bunch of missed blocks by the ABs, from Godhigh all the way down the depth chart. There were some good catches but nobody really stood out to me as taking control of the other job. Bostic made some nice runs, but also got blown up behind the line of scrimmage a couple of times when there was no blocking in front of him.

8) WRs - Jackson and Greene easily look to be the starters and Waller should get some PT. Both Jackson and Greene made some drops, but also made some good catches. I think it was Greene who was the recipient of Vad's longest pass of the day, but he also dropped another long one from Vad (thrown perfectly) just over his outside shoulder that hit him dead in the hands right as he was hitting the sideline. Chris Jackson made some nice jumping grabs but also missed one from TW on 3rd down that would have been a 1st. If you are concerned, don't be. We'll be fine here. If you are expecting greatness, I think you should tone it down a notch.

9) OL - Didn't look great, didn't look terrible. Lanier stuck out in my mind as particularly bad. He looked out of shape and had trouble when he had to get outside to block. Pass protection was a bit on the weak side and we didn't really clear running lanes from what I saw.

10) Defense - DL looked ok. I'd like to get more of a pass rush (broken record?) but we had some DL in the backfield a lot today. Problem was they couldn't catch any of our QBs. They got Vad for a sack and maybe had one more. LBs and DBs were hitting hard, but were getting burned on the shorter passes. Golden made a few good plays I saw. They got burned both times Vad threw deep to Greene, but I think that will happen to opposing teams a lot this year. I'd give us an average grade - we didn't give up many scores (Only recall Vad's TD) but the O was making a lot of mistakes and putting the ball on the ground a lot. I did think we looked more mean and aggressive in terms of tackling / hitting though.
Legal Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
cyptomcat
PostBot

Default Re: Practice Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Jacket View Post
1) Cyptom / Corndog - think you guys may have been behind me. Were y'all 5th - 10th row, ~ 25 yard line, north end of the east stands?
We were at the right end of the gold chairbacks, probably around row 20.

You probably missed the first drive which was Tevin leading a TD drive with few/no mistakes. Then I think Vad came in and had 2 fumbles.
cyptomcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyptomcat View Post
We were at the right end of the gold chairbacks, probably around row 20.
Not you guys then, this was in the bleachers.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
05GTCorndog
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Jacket View Post
Not you guys then, this was in the bleachers.
Nah. We are too classy for the bleacher seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTORocks View Post
Now, let me slither away before I start sporting the beginning of a Godzillian-level anti-dwag boner....
05GTCorndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Legal Jacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTCorndog View Post
Nah. We are too classy for the bleacher seats.
---- man, you guys gotta get off your high horse and chill w the peons.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
AE 87
Dodd-like

Thanks for the write-up.

The inconsistency of A-Back blocking will be something to watch.
AE 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
scatman22
Jolly Good Fellow

Legal, I agree with most of what you said. I was as practice today and I too think Lee has the best potential to be something special. Tevin "is what he is" and knows the offense but Lee is clearly a much better passer and I think he will get to know the offense better with more reps. Days always looks to run and turnovers are the bane of his existence. If I know anything about CPJ over the years, it's that he will NOT tolerate turnovers out of the QB position. I am interested to see how the QB position shakes out this year. I think CPJ is in an interesting situation with this.

Also, GT fans should not discount the effect that Walkosky is going to have. This has been a a huge missing element for CPJ at GT. Who knows how it will turn out but I am willing to bet that better ST's are good for 1-2 wins/season which could've been the difference in 8 and 10 wins last year. That is huge at the FBS level where margin for error is minimal.

All in all, I am excited about our experience and I also like how we jump right in the fire with 3 Coastal Division games in our first 4. Let's see what we're made up. 2012 is going to be fun!
scatman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
GTsapper
Dodd-like

Bostic and Zenon looked great on the KO/PR drills respectively. Minimal contact, granted, but still...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTCorndog View Post
I don't dislike Clemson. I just know I'm more likely to get crabs than lobster at both places.
GTsapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #9
ThisIsAtlanta
Dodd-like

See my avatar.

Cue bonham.

Party like it's 1999.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridajacket View Post
I think GT is no longer a football team and is now surrealist performance art.
ThisIsAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
BeeProudBeeLoud
Damn Good Rat

Default Agree with P report

Will add that BJ Bostic was MVP today. Ran hard, caught the ball well.

Also, seemed like the whole scrimmage was more upbeat, a little more chipper. Sweeting body slammed Greene is an example.