Stingtalk.com - Georgia Tech Sports Message Board  
Old 05-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
RamblinRed
Jolly Good Fellow

Default 2012 recruiting list

Here is an updated list as of 1/26/12 with top remaining prospects.

PG
GT would like to find a PG in the Spring. They still plan to sign a top PG in 2013 (Poole, Morris, Brantley, Ennis on the list of offers)

Tom Maayan - 6'1, 175 - Isreali PG playing on the Canarias Basketball Academy. Seton Hall may have the inside track.

Trey Dicekrson 6'0, 180 - playing at Price HS in LA, originally from NYC. Very athletic and good ballhandler. Played for the NY based New Heights AAU program last summer. Became friends with Bolden at the Nike Jamboree. San Diego St is the biggest competitor.

Amedeo Della Valle 6'5, 180 - Italian player at Findley Prep in Nevada. High IQ, very strong shooter and passer can play all 3 perimeter positions. Thought to be a AZ lean though many schools have jumped on him now including Ohio St, UCLA, Gonzaga and St. Mary's.

No offers for the PG's yet but that could change in the next week to 10 days as the staff seems them all in person.

Wings
Marcus Hunt - committed, (GA Stars) Post july Rankings
Scout 4*, just missed Top 100, could move into it in Spring, Rivals #101/4*, ESPN #60/4*, CBS/MaxPreps - #88/4*

Chris Bolden - committed , (Worldwide Renegades)
Scout 3*, Rivals #108/3* (3rd three star), ESPN 3*,

Bigs
Robert Carter - committed -
Scout #19/5*, Rivals #27/4* (1st 4 star), ESPN #20/5*, CBS #23

Chris Obekpa - Center Reach, NY (offer) - visited GT in September. Looksl like he is likely to stay in the BE right now.
Scout #92/4*, Rivals #106/3* (1st three star), ESPN #92/4*, CBS #90/4*

officially GT is out of scholarships but continues to recruit as if it expects to have at least 1 more after the season. i expect we will see some post-season movement.

RamblinRed

Last edited by RamblinRed; 01-26-2012 at 09:15 AM.
RamblinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #2
Jackets138
Damn Good Rat

Default Re: 2012 recruiting list

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRed View Post
I am not pretending that this list is complete, but here is at least a good starting point for recruits GT is looking at for 2012. I will update when I have credible info that someone else is being recruited.

PG
Charles Mann - Union Grove, GA (should get his offer today during his unofficial visit)
DeOndre Haynes - Calera, AL
James Robinson - Hyattsville, MD
Ian Baker - Jacksonville, FL

Wings
Marcus Hunt - College Park, GA (offer)
Kenny Gaines - Dalton, GA (likely to get an offer when he takes an unofficial visit)
Chris Bolden - Norcross, GA (likely to get an offer when he takes an unofficial visit)
Armaud Moto - Alexandria, VA
Jarmel Reid - Decatur, GA

Combo Forward
Alex Poythress - Clarksville, TN (visited GT with GA Stars teammate Marcus Hunt last weekend)

Bigs
Tony Parker - Lithonia, GA (offer)
Justin Tuoyo - Lovejoy, GA (offer)
Shaq Goodwin - Decatur, GA (offer)
Robert Carter - Thomasville, GA
Brandon Morris - Lithonia, GA
Charles Mitchell - Marietta, GA
Robert Guilmette - Kennesaw, GA

GT Has 4 scholarships to use on the 2012 class. I would expect either 3 perimeter players and 1 post player or 2 perimeter players and 2 post players.

RamblinRed

Look at all those Georgia players being recruited!!!
Jackets138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Jackets138
Damn Good Rat

Thanks for the info Red
Jackets138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
ncjacket
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackets138 View Post
Thanks for the info Red
Honest question. Is GA high school basketball good enough that we should be this focused in state?
ncjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
gatechfalcons3
Damn Good Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjacket View Post
Honest question. Is GA high school basketball good enough that we should be this focused in state?
Yes especially from the 2012 class. New rankings on rivals are coming out tommorrow and I think there will be around 14-18 from GA ranked in the top 150. One of the deepest classes from any state I have ever seen.
gatechfalcons3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
77GTFan
Dodd-like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncjacket View Post
NCJacket, I appreciate your question. I think Georgia has talent and we should be involved with those we think are a good fit for us. But, college basketball powers are seldom built with regional talent - some Memphis teams would be the greatest exceptions. Usually, you compete at the highest level with a national recruiting base.

That was certainly Cremins approach. I wonder if some basketball players are often helped by getting away from family, friends, AAU coaches, etc. and going to school some distance away from home.

For years UGA has focused its recruiting on home grown talent and seldom had great results. Their best team many years ago was when they got Dominique Wilkins to come to Athens from Washington, NC.
77GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
RamblinRed
Jolly Good Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77GTFan View Post
NCJacket, I appreciate your question. I think Georgia has talent and we should be involved with those we think are a good fit for us. But, college basketball powers are seldom built with regional talent - some Memphis teams would be the greatest exceptions. Usually, you compete at the highest level with a national recruiting base.

That was certainly Cremins approach. I wonder if some basketball players are often helped by getting away from family, friends, AAU coaches, etc. and going to school some distance away from home.

For years UGA has focused its recruiting on home grown talent and seldom had great results. Their best team many years ago was when they got Dominique Wilkins to come to Athens from Washington, NC.
MY comment would be that the focus should always be on in-state given the level of talent and then supplement with some cherry picking of players from outside the SE that you can get in on.

Majority of the squad should come from GA and surrounding states. Almost every school in div 1 basketball has an asst assigned to Atlanta. It is a major area for talent.

UGA has not been successful because it had a poor coach who had a terrible eye for talent and constantly focused on players that weren't the best players in the state.

Frankly, both GT and UGA should have consistent top 25 programs by mining the state. The key is to get the right guys for your program.

RamblinRed
RamblinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #8
etc79
Dodd-like

Thanks RR
etc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #9
etc79
Dodd-like