PDA

View Full Version : You know, I really hate to see this...

stinger78
01-13-2011, 02:07 PM
I hate to see a coach grimace in agony and just look helpless... over and over. There is a bit of humanity that comes out of me and feels sorry for him. Even Hewitt. This all could have been avoided had he just had the sense to take the offer from St. John's. Darn you, Paul Hewitt, there's a time to just walk away. You blewitt.

Aside from anger, how does it make you feel to see this over and over?

Gordon
01-13-2011, 04:23 PM
I have similar feelings as you. I believe he really thought he could get it going at Tech, and you can see him slowly realizing what everyone has known for a while now - he can't. He post-game interview after BC was very telling - he looked so discouraged.

If he loses to UNC (with the place mostly full of Carolina blue) and then to lowly Wake Forest, things might really get ugly. If that happens, we'll find out if he's really in it just for the money or not. Something tells me he would resign with a reduced buyout. If we start playing better, he will probably stick around.

stinger78
01-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Sadly I think he's proven that he can coach on some level. He did pretty well early early on at Tech, but geeze, did things go deep, deep south. I really don't want to see him ruin his career as a coach, but he can't be helping his resume' right now.

GT1992
01-13-2011, 04:39 PM
He's ruined his coaching career. His next move is as an assistant or to DII or DIII.

andrew
01-13-2011, 05:14 PM
He's ruined his coaching career. His next move is as an assistant or to DII or DIII.

No way. He definitely will get a D1 job if he chooses to. The majority of mid-majors would be thrilled to have him.

Allen Koholic
01-13-2011, 05:23 PM
I hate to see a coach grimace in agony and just look helpless... over and over. I hate it too. That's why I change the channel.

ncjacket
01-13-2011, 07:38 PM
I have similar feelings as you. I believe he really thought he could get it going at Tech, and you can see him slowly realizing what everyone has known for a while now - he can't. He post-game interview after BC was very telling - he looked so discouraged.

If he loses to UNC (with the place mostly full of Carolina blue) and then to lowly Wake Forest, things might really get ugly. If that happens, we'll find out if he's really in it just for the money or not. Something tells me he would resign with a reduced buyout. If we start playing better, he will probably stick around.
If we lose to Wake, the players may start to quit. I mean, we're capable of making anyone look good, but they really suck.

CharlotteJacket76
01-13-2011, 07:48 PM
I hate it too. That's why I change the channel.

Classic. AMEN.

I see him goin to an up n comer mid major or at a 1AA team like app st. But hell. Some HS has to need a MNC runner-up coach....after the money he's robbed us of part of me thinks he deserves it

His ego is the problem. He refuses to change which is the problem

To be successful in anything one has to adapt and be willing to change certain aspects of your approach to your life, career, parenting, on down the line to even coaching

chilidogking
01-13-2011, 07:50 PM

His next move will be to the studio. His buyout should be enough to retire off of. If he's bored at home, it's the perfect setup to take a role like Cremins (and many others) as an announcer.

stinger78
01-13-2011, 07:58 PM
His next move will be to the studio. His buyout should be enough to retire off of. If he's bored at home, it's the perfect setup to take a role like Cremins (and many others) as an announcer.

This may be his end. He's articulate, looks good in an Armani and knows enough basketball to make a broadcast interesting. I bet he gets an offer from CBS or ESPN in a heartbeat when he leaves Tech.

swampsting
01-13-2011, 08:40 PM
If you don't want to see pained looks of expression or anguish, then don't look around at the crowd.
Look, I've met Hewitt. He's an all right guy, I guess. But sympathy for him? Nope. None. He is hoisted on his petard.
The best out I can see is for him and the Institute is for him to get a top assistant's job in the NBA. I doubt many other schools would go near him now. He'll price himself out of the market, thinking he's worth $Ms when he isn't.

CorpusJacket
01-13-2011, 09:05 PM
I'm in the 'Hewitt for commentator' camp. He'd be an improvement over Dick Vitale.

gtpi
01-13-2011, 10:18 PM
you feel sorry for hewitt? wtf. feel sorry for me.

i lost 80% of my 401k and my retirement. phew is a millionaire many times over.

feel sorry for those that got shot an killed last week.

the only reason i can think of that phew turned down the st john's job is that 7 million. he put that money above the program imo.

phew deserves no pity in my book.

cantSpellConvictWithoutVT
01-13-2011, 10:25 PM
I'm in the 'Hewitt for commentator' camp. He'd be an improvement over Dick Vitale.

I don't mind Vitale all that much quite frankly. Sure he can be annoying at times, and his obsession for the Dookies is nauseating. But I applaud all he's done for the college game. He has some good insight at times. No one comes close to Gus Johnson!

I think Hewitt could be an okay commentator. He is well-spoken, and looks good in the Armanis. But if he is asked to be an in-game analyst drawing up plays on the clipboard trying to explain to the audience what to look for (like what Bob Knight and Dan Dakich do so well) would be every bit as much of a train wreck as his coaching career. Could you imagine if he had to provide a X's & O's diagram if they wanted to show how to beat a zone? He'd have five X's around the perimeter and a blank look on his face.

Come to think of it, the comedic value of this proposition would be extremely high...

ncjacket
01-13-2011, 11:58 PM
Nah. I think PH knows basketball and could do a good job explaining the game...he just can't teach you how to do it.

ND_jacket
01-14-2011, 09:16 AM
I look forward to the first time he's serving as a commentator and a coach makes a questionable use of a time out. Hewitt and the play-by-play guy will get into an argument about if it was a good use of the TO, with every person other than Hewitt siding with the play-by-play guy in saying it was dumb.

ElCidBUZZingFAN
01-14-2011, 11:14 AM
i lost 80% of my 401k and my retirement.

You suck at investing.

Aiken Jacket
01-14-2011, 11:36 AM
I hate it too. That's why I change the channel.

they still put this garbage on TV? who knew?

cantSpellConvictWithoutVT
01-14-2011, 11:51 AM
they still put this garbage on TV? who knew?

I myself am starting to rethink my views on censorship.

Y Jacket
01-14-2011, 11:31 PM
I too am in the commentator for next gig camp. It fits. Remember he didn't take the St Johns gig because his family wanted to stay in Atlanta. If GT fails to renew then he gets paid $7 plus mill and can live in Atlanta while he works for ESPN for a while. When the kids graduate HS or he can convince his family to move where ever it may be then he pulls a Lavin and goes back into coaching. Until then he doesn't have to worry about where his next meal is coming from. Actually pretty logical on his part.

eneq
01-14-2011, 11:35 PM
you feel sorry for hewitt? wtf. feel sorry for me.

i lost 80% of my 401k and my retirement.

How'd you pull that off?

gtpi
01-15-2011, 05:09 PM
How'd you pull that off?

actually that was a typo. hell i have a hard enough time typing. it should have been 60% instead of 80.

when all this bank stuff started in 08 i read an listened to experts and decided to leave my money where it was. over a few months i lost about 60% of its worth.

as of today.... i have gained about 80% of what i lost back. i took the advice of leaving my money were it was and going along for the ride.

what i did do in the mean time to protect myself is i learned a new life skill that i can use without having to work for anybody. when i claim my ss which i can do in 4 years..... i have the know how to make a 6 figure yearly salary without having to depend on anybody but me.

sometimes bad things end up being good things....

thanks for asking.

reckrider
01-18-2011, 07:40 PM
actually that was a typo. hell i have a hard enough time typing. it should have been 60% instead of 80.

when all this bank stuff started in 08 i read an listened to experts and decided to leave my money where it was. over a few months i lost about 60% of its worth.

as of today.... i have gained about 80% of what i lost back. i took the advice of leaving my money were it was and going along for the ride.

what i did do in the mean time to protect myself is i learned a new life skill that i can use without having to work for anybody. when i claim my ss which i can do in 4 years..... i have the know how to make a 6 figure yearly salary without having to depend on anybody but me.

sometimes bad things end up being good things....

thanks for asking.

gtpi, I am intrigued by your new life skill, are you willing to share any specifics?