PDA

View Full Version : Hewitt's face "lit up" talking about St. John's

gtfan1147
03-22-2010, 11:24 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/03/22/2010-03-22_head_coach_paul_hewitt_falls_with_georgia_tech_ but_spirits_rise_with_talk_of_st_.html

GT65_UGA89
03-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Coach Hewitt:

Best to you with your future endeavors --maybe you can get the AD to change St. John's back to the Red Men instead of Red Storm.

Enclosed is a $100 bill, to assist you in paying for the extra baggage charges.

Signed,

GT65

beej67
03-22-2010, 11:29 AM
For god's sake, everyone be positive about Hewitt long enough for St. Johns to hire him.

GiveEmHellJackets
03-22-2010, 11:30 AM
He wants to go there, we want him to go there. If St. John's wants him there, then please, let's all sit down and make a deal folks!!

GT65_UGA89
03-22-2010, 11:31 AM
For god's sake, everyone be positive about Hewitt long enough for St. Johns to hire him.

oh yeah

We've got to do something and I mean do something now --we cannot let St. John's come in here and steal our head coach. Can we do a double-rollover? Where in the he77 is DRad right now?!

GEHJ, can I have an onion ring?

gtfan1147
03-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Billy Gillispie anyone? I know Houston has offered him the job and it might be tough to pry him out of the state of Texas, but it is the ACC vs. C-USA. Let the speculation begin!

jeff0106
03-22-2010, 11:34 AM
oh yeahWe've got to do something and I mean do something now --we cannot let St. John's come in here and steal our head coach. Can we do a double-rollover? Where in the he77 is DRad right now?!

Double-rollover! It's a win-win for everyone! :biggthumpup:

Highriser987
03-22-2010, 11:38 AM
He wants to go there, we want him to go there. If St. John's wants him there, then please, let's all sit down and make a deal folks!!

GiveEm, why the fancy signature, now I'm hungry!!! :)

BEEFENSE
03-22-2010, 12:00 PM
I sure hope none of the search committe looks on this board and get second thoughts about him--if so---let me just say he is the greatest thing since grits, a mastermind on the bench, a true student/teacher of the game and a rock solid hire for ANY school wanting to reach the highest level of NCAA basketball heights. It would greatly GRIEVE all TECH fans to lose such a coaching MARVEL but we will understand if he follows his heart and leaves.:fingersx::fingersx:

Highriser987
03-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Please St. John's, do us all a flavor and pick Hewitt up as head coach, he's all yours!

xrayjacket
03-22-2010, 12:14 PM
If Hewitt wants to go to St. Johns, it is the absolute best case for us...he walks away, everybody feels warm and fuzzy, and we get to the business of hiring a first class coach...:biggthumpup: This can revive basketball ticket sales in a heartbeat.

GiveEmHellJackets
03-22-2010, 12:15 PM
St Johns: You can have my sig* and my avatar** if you just hire Hewitt!

I promise!

:biggthumpup:

*Requires trip to Atlanta. Must pay own travel expenses and cost of meal.
**Contingent on express consent of Nicky Whelan.

ncjacket
03-22-2010, 12:18 PM

I promise!

Don't know how they can pass that up.

BTW, the fine print is too large...it's still readable.

stinger78
03-22-2010, 12:49 PM
One thing thought to be a stumbling block is that contract with Tech, which states the party who walks away must pay to get out, unless the sides agree to part ways. If they don't, a New York source said it would cost $3.5 million on Hewitt's end.
We just went to the O Bowl, we're flush with money. Let's cut them a deal they can't refuse.

mmbt0ne
03-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Billy Gillispie anyone? I know Houston has offered him the job and it might be tough to pry him out of the state of Texas, but it is the ACC vs. C-USA. Let the speculation begin!

If Billy Gillispie ****s up both of my teams I sweat to God I will murder the drunk-driving sonofabitch.

Youngthad
03-22-2010, 01:06 PM
He would actually be a very good choice for them (the job is not attractive atm). Like him or not the man can recruit with anyone, and at this point in time that is what St. Johns needs. Hewitt is also relatively young for a coach so if he is able to learn from his mistakes he could end up being a great hire for them.

Lets hope things work out this way. If Hewitt leaves I would love to have Mike Anderson coaching this team. He would have GT as a top 3 ACC team.

TenaciousBuzz
03-22-2010, 01:08 PM

I promise!

St. John's is a Catholic School, no?

Does she have a son?

jeff0106
03-22-2010, 01:09 PM
He would actually be a very good choice for them (the job is not attractive atm). Like him or not the man can recruit with anyone, and at this point in time that is what St. Johns needs. Hewitt is also relatively young for a coach so if he is able to learn from his mistakes he could end up being a great hire for them.

Lets hope things work out this way. If Hewitt leaves I would love to have Mike Anderson coaching this team. He would have GT as a top 3 ACC team.

I think his main mistake is that he has no incentive to work hard. He only has to work hard enough to keep from being fired from his never ending contract.

BEEFENSE
03-22-2010, 01:24 PM
I think his main mistake is that he has no incentive to work hard. He only has to work hard enough to keep from being fired from his never ending contract.
Financially PH would be a FOOL to leave such a contract.-:mad:

jacket67
03-22-2010, 01:27 PM
CPH needs to pick a side. He's either with Tech or he's against us.

EastJacket
03-22-2010, 01:32 PM
GT will likely waive the buyout when he decides to go or at least work out a more reasonable offer.

beej67
03-22-2010, 01:40 PM
GT will likely waive the buyout when he decides to go or at least work out a more reasonable offer.
Or we could use the buyout as leverage now to force him to renegotiate the rollover clause. (?)

If his goal is to continue to coach without the black eye of having been fired for mediocrity, then he might be very interested in renegotiating the contract. We could tell him we'll drop our end of the buyout if he dropped the auto-rollover. That would free him up to look for another job, while it would free us up to not renew.

BarrelORum
03-22-2010, 02:37 PM
for god's sake, everyone be positive about hewitt long enough for st. Johns to hire him.

this!!!

Allen Koholic
03-22-2010, 02:40 PM
It's hard to believe that's the case. Indeed, Georgia Tech on Tuesday extended his contract, netting Hewitt $6.8 million, reports said.Thanks, Dave Braine.

GiveEmHellJackets
03-22-2010, 03:11 PM
St. John's is a Catholic School, no?

Does she have a son?

:laugher:

lonestarjacket
03-22-2010, 05:46 PM
CPH needs to pick a side. He's either with Tech or he's against us.

Gordon
03-22-2010, 06:31 PM

Are you kidding? We'll waive plus throw in a million for traveling expenses.

This could actually happen! I'm getting excited!

Gordon
03-22-2010, 06:37 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/03/17/2010-03-17_hewitts_out_of_storm_mix.html

Sorry. Not gonna happen. On the other hand, this is 5 days old.

EastJacket
03-22-2010, 06:42 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2010/03/17/2010-03-17_hewitts_out_of_storm_mix.html

Sorry. Not gonna happen. On the other hand, this is 5 days old.

LOL. That writer is clueless and doesn't understand the contract. It rolling over doesn't mean he is out of the running. In fact, now that Donovan and Greenburg are both saying no, I expect Hewitt to St Johns talk to heat up, most up there want him, McCaffery or Pecora.

Gordon
03-22-2010, 07:05 PM
LOL. That writer is clueless and doesn't understand the contract. It rolling over doesn't mean he is out of the running. In fact, now that Donovan and Greenburg are both saying no, I expect Hewitt to St Johns talk to heat up, most up there want him, McCaffery or Pecora.

This would almost make up for health care.

BuzzDraft
03-22-2010, 07:19 PM
I agree... Hewitt has a history of taking jobs several other coaches turn down.

gtmann61
03-22-2010, 09:11 PM
If you're wondering what the Johnnies think:

http://www.redmen.com/login/showthread.php?t=41117&highlight=hewitt

stinger78
03-22-2010, 09:12 PM
I agree... Hewitt has a history of taking jobs several other coaches turn down.

You know... did he not realize by saying this, that he placed himself 8th in our search for HC? Bottom of the barrel?

BuzzDraft
03-22-2010, 10:05 PM
If you're wondering what the Johnnies think:

http://www.redmen.com/login/showthread.php?t=41117&highlight=hewitt
SHHHHHHH!!!

For God's sake, keep quiet!

Let them continue with their factual errors, mistakes in perception, and belief that Hewitt is not a major under-performer. Let them build a ground swell to make Hewitt their number one popular choice.

This is our BIG chance to do some serious laundry in the contract arena.

gtmann61
03-22-2010, 10:13 PM
A blind man could see he's a perfect fit. He can recruit NBA talent and NYC is home! Besides who could appreciate street ball more than basketball Mecca. We don't know how good we have it. Their loss is our gain or is it....nevermind! The buyout could be a problem, but if we really appreciated him, we would not stand in his way over a few bucks.

BuzzDraft
03-22-2010, 10:20 PM
A blind man could see he's a perfect fit. He can recruit NBA talent and NYC is home! Besides who could appreciate street ball more than basketball Mecca. We don't know how good we have it. Their loss is our gain or is it....nevermind! The buyout could be a problem, but if we really appreciated him, we would not stand in his way over a few bucks.
You just perfectly described an AAU coach...

NOT the head coach of an ACC school.

http://www.xsltblog.com/archives/The-Simpsons-Mr-Burns-Excel.jpg

lonestarjacket
03-22-2010, 10:32 PM
You just perfectly described an AAU coach...

NOT the head coach of an ACC school.

SOMEBODY didn't get the memo.

Get with the program dude.

Youngthad
03-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Hewitt would be a good hire for THEM (given the options). St.Johns is not an attractive job at the moment. No "big name" HC will go there. So the guy they end up with will have his fair share of flaws.

Hewitt has underachieved here the last few years but his underachieving has resulted in a few tourney appearances. When was the last time the Big red played in the tourney?

Worst case scenario, he recruits at a high level, acquires the talent and makes tourney appearances every now and then (what he is doing here). At the very least he will make the job attractive again.

Who knows, he may go on to improve (he is a relatively "young" Coach).

BuzzDraft
03-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Hewitt would be a good hire for THEM (given the options). St.Johns is not an attractive job at the moment. No "big name" HC will go there. So the guy they end up with will have his fair share of flaws.

Hewitt has underachieved here the last few years but his underachieving has resulted in a few tourney appearances. When was the last time the Big red played in the tourney?

Worst case scenario, he recruits at a high level, acquires the talent and makes tourney appearances every now and then (what he is doing here). At the very least he will make the job attractive again.

But there is the perfect symmetry... he came to Georgia Tech as our Savior because "7 or 8 guys turned the job down before he took it. There must be a reason for that."

The GOOD news for Hewitt is that he would no longer have to match wits withjournalistic giants like Mark Bradley, and would get a free pass from those passive New York sports writers.

Youngthad
03-22-2010, 10:43 PM
But there is the perfect symmetry... he came to Georgia Tech as our Savior because "7 or 8 guys turned the job down before he took it. There must be a reason for that."

The GOOD news for Hewitt is that he would no longer have to match wits withjournalistic giants like Mark Bradley, and would get a free pass from those passive New York sports writers.

lmao

This whole St.Johns talk sounds too good to be true. It would be perfect for all parties, I pray it happens.

xrayjacket
03-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Hewitt would be a solid hire for them. They need to beef up recruiting and are not in a position to land a Donavan/Pitino yet.

lonestarjacket
03-23-2010, 12:08 AM

You know, in honesty, it could be a win-win scenario in Stephen Covey fashion.

Personally I would not begrudge Hewitt success at SJU. Neither would I see his success at another program as evidence that we should have kept him.

Get some good assistant coaches who can cover his weaknesses and he could be good again. But here he can't improve because he is excessively defensive about his own flaws.

We both just need a fresh start to improve.

JJacket
03-23-2010, 12:30 AM
Hewitt would have to be the biggest dumbass in the world to leave GT. If I had a sweet deal like what he has, I would ONLY leave by getting canned.

yjack
03-23-2010, 01:00 AM
Hewitt would have to be the biggest dumbass in the world to leave GT. If I had a sweet deal like what he has, I would ONLY leave by getting canned.
At the upper levels egos drive coaches as much as money -- in all sports. If he left for another job he'd believe he'd be a great success with no chance of being fired anytime soon. And consider, if we waive his buyout (which would be about like giving him $3.5 Mil or something like that) and he gets a decent raise, say to $1.75 Mil per year with annual increases it wouldn't take many years to make up for what he'd get through his current contract.

And he would not have FIRED! on his resume.

Gordon
03-23-2010, 09:50 AM
You know, in honesty, it could be a win-win scenario in Stephen Covey fashion.

Personally I would not begrudge Hewitt success at SJU. Neither would I see his success at another program as evidence that we should have kept him.

Get some good assistant coaches who can cover his weaknesses and he could be good again. But here he can't improve because he is excessively defensive about his own flaws.

We both just need a fresh start to improve.

Well said. Let's hope Hewitt sees it that way. Now would be a great time for Radakovich to approach him about changing assistants. That might tip him St. John's way.

EastJacket
03-23-2010, 09:57 AM
Well said. Let's hope Hewitt sees it that way. Now would be a great time for Radakovich to approach him about changing assistants. That might tip him St. John's way.

Hewitt's been unhappy for a while now. Pretty sure that's the reason why. He already knows he is being forced to make changes.

gtphd
03-23-2010, 11:26 AM

Unless he's made enough money to live comfortably for a while and that's not his primary concern anymore.

stinger78
03-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Unless he's made enough money to live comfortably for a while and that's not his primary concern anymore.

+1

You get in a bad enough situation, and no amount of money is worth it.