PDA

View Full Version : Paul Hewitt Fires Back At Critisms

drinkclearwiskey
03-16-2010, 06:49 PM
http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2010/03/16/hewitt-fires-back-at-criti****/

:ugh:

gsu_paintballer
03-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Alright. Now this censoring is effing up links.

lonestarjacket
03-16-2010, 07:35 PM
We’re not Duke and (North) Carolina, OK. Do we want to be? And will we some day? But I’ll leave it at that.”

Not sure what he means by that question, but I'd settle for being Wake Forest.

We were, for a time, in the same category as Duke and N.C. So to imply it is some pipe dream is a copout.

Gordon
03-16-2010, 07:39 PM
When people used to ask me why I wanted him fired, I would rattle off 10 year and 5 year stats, but always end with "but he's a nice guy and represents the Institute well."

No more. He's a delusional pompous a**.

GiveEmHellJackets
03-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Here's the full article, since the link is messed up.

With his Yellow Jackets safely in the NCAA tournament and his contract rolled over for another six years Tuesday, Georgia Tech coach Paul Hewitt fired off at what he thought were unfair shots taken at him this season in the media.
He said he resents the portrayal that the reason he’s still coaching at Georgia Tech is because it would have cost too much to buy out his contract.
“I think it’s pretty cheap that anybody would make an issue out of it,” Hewitt said of his contract. “I think it’s really underhanded. It’s the lowest form of journalism there is. I was taught a long time ago by my parents you work very hard, you get what you deserve. I think I’ve proved to myself that if I was no longer the coach at Georgia Tech, I would find a job some place else. I really resent the hell out of somebody trying to insinuate that it’s like I’m stealing money from the somebody and that the only reason I have my job is because of this contract.”
Hewitt said taking critisim over his play-calling or his defensive strategy is one thing.
“That’s ok,” Hewitt said. “But if we’re going to start put information out there, put it in its proper context. Don’t throw this contract thing out there like I walked into somebody’s office with a gun and a mask and said ‘Hey you better sign this.’ We all knew what we were getting into.”
Hewitt signed a six-year contract that continuously rolls over following Tech’s run to the Final Four in 2004.
Any doubt about Hewitt’s future at Tech was all but erased last week when his Yellow Jackets won three times in the ACC tournament and advanced to the NCAA tournament. But it became more official Tuesday with the passing of an annual deadline in his contract, which rolled over as usual.
Hewitt’s contract is a six-year deal with an automatic rollover, which is triggered each year 30 days prior to April 15. Tech would have had to notify Hewitt by Tuesday if it planned to terminate his contract, or it would have cost an additional $1.375 million on top of the $7.1 million required to buy him out.
“There was no action taken, as has been the case since the contract was signed,” Tech associate athletic director Wayne Hogan said Tuesday. “Today is business as usual. We’re trying to figure out how we’re going to advance in the tournament. We move forward.”
Hewitt came under fire after a last-place finish in the ACC last year, and took his share of heat through the ups and downs of a seventh-place finish in the ACC this regular season. Athletic director Dan Radakovich acknowledged as such last week in an e-mail to Tech fans.
“Please understand that I hear all of the comments and opinions about our men’s basketball program just as I do with all of our 17 sports,” wrote Radakovich, who alluded to the financial part of the equation as well. “…There are many parts to any discussion, issues which are visible and not so visible. By now I’m sure you know that there are factors which make our men’s basketball situation unique.”
Radakovich had said both in that e-mail and in a response to a media query earlier last week, that he would “not get into a discussion regarding the evaluation of a program while there are still significant games to be played and goals to be reached.”
That discussion is all but moot now, with No. 10 seeded Tech (22-12) heading to Milwaukee to play seventh-seeded Oklahoma State Friday in the first round of the NCAA tournament.
When asked in the midst of last week’s run to the ACC tournament finals if he took any personal satisfaction out of the success Tech was having and what it mean for his job security, Hewitt said, “No, not at all. I know what the facts are. I know what we’ve done here for nine years, going on 10 years. When somebody wants to have an honest, frank discussion about the facts, then we’ll be fine. We’re not Duke and (North) Carolina, OK. Do we want to be? And will we some day? But I’ll leave it at that.”

B
03-16-2010, 08:08 PM
man, the advantages of a lifetime contract such as his...other coaches have to worry about such trivial things as media/public/alumni relations but not brother paul...Dave Braine freed him from such mundane things so Paul can focus on what he does best...coaching BB and speaking the truth. preach it, bro'.

GTBlazer
03-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Not sure what he means by that question, but I'd settle for being Wake Forest.

We were, for a time, in the same category as Duke and N.C. So to imply it is some pipe dream is a copout.

having a year or a two year run on top--is not the same as being a Duke or a UNC...

stinger78
03-16-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm sorry. I really don't want him as our coach anymore. What a total jerk. His team grossly underperformed this year, all the way into the ACCT. The commentators were making a joke about it during the tournament, and national writers like Forde have pointed it up, too. All our opponent fan boards are chuckling at us. It's not just local media with an axe to grind. It is a well known fact conference-wide and nationally.

He seems incapable of admitting that his team underperformed this year (let alone previous years), acknowledging that his performance was part of the issue, and painting a picture of improved performance in the future.

Great Paul, you made the NCAAT as one of the last 6 teams in, and a 10 seed. Banner year! You'll be losing Favors, Lawal, Bell and Peacock off this incredibly "young" team. Four of your top 6 players are guys ready to walk away from the program, and you want to blame this on youth?

This is the stuff of a person who has no real accountability, or one who is delusional - or both.

TechSBP
03-16-2010, 09:19 PM
Anyone proud of their losing record shouldn't be coaching.

This interview is even worse: LINK (http://blogs.ajc.com/georgia-tech-sports/2010/03/16/a-few-more-thoughts-from-hewitt/?cxntfid=blogs_georgia_tech_sports)

gth816f
03-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Paul has now officially crossed the line into hatred. It's going to be tough to even root for us in the NCAA tourney now. I will do it of course, but öööö...I hate him.

atlanta jacket
03-16-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm sorry. I really don't want him as our coach anymore. What a total jerk. His team grossly underperformed this year, all the way into the ACCT. The commentators were making a joke about it during the tournament, and national writers like Forde have pointed it up, too. All our opponent fan boards are chuckling at us. It's not just local media with an axe to grind. It is a well known fact conference-wide and nationally.

He seems incapable of admitting that his team underperformed this year (let alone previous years), acknowledging that his performance was part of the issue, and painting a picture of improved performance in the future.

Great Paul, you made the NCAAT as one of the last 6 teams in, and a 10 seed. Banner year! You'll be losing Favors, Lawal, Bell and Peacock off this incredibly "young" team. Four of your top 6 players are guys ready to walk away from the program, and you want to blame this on youth?

This is the stuff of a person who has no real accountability, or one who is delusional - or both.
He can cry all he wants to, THE RECORD SPEAKS FOR ITSELF, he is below mediocre.

GTPhil
03-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Paul has now officially crossed the line into hatred. It's going to be tough to even root for us in the NCAA tourney now. I will do it of course, but öööö...I hate him.

No, you root for him to do well and for us to go far into the tourney so that some dumb arse NBA team will pick him up. Win win for all concerned. He goes to NBA and we avoid the buyout.

gth816f
03-16-2010, 09:57 PM
No, you root for him to do well and for us to go far into the tourney so that some dumb arse NBA team will pick him up. Win win for all concerned. He goes to NBA and we avoid the buyout.

There is 0% chance of that happening. I'll root for us to go far in the tourney cause it's Tech. But the farther we go the more entrenched Paul becomes.

yjack
03-16-2010, 10:28 PM
“Not that it’s important to anybody, but I could have made at least a half million dollars more going some place else,” Hewitt said.In the past Hewitt has said, what, that 6-8 guys turned down the position before he accepted it. Now he says he could have made at least a half million more at some other school.

Is he trying to say that he is doing us a favor by being our coach? What type of arrogance is that?

BarrelORum
03-16-2010, 10:30 PM
If Paul Hewitt thinks he is here at GT not because of his contract, then I'm sure now is an opportune time to renegotiate the rollover clause in it, since he would be here anyway.

If I had season tickets to basketball, I would kindly send them into Pau Hewitt and asked that he reimburse me for the expense. Seriously, I would.

GTJacket567
03-16-2010, 10:35 PM
“I think it’s pretty cheap that anybody would make an issue out of it,” Hewitt said. “I think it’s really underhanded. It’s the lowest form of journalism there is. … I really resent the hell out of somebody trying to insinuate that it’s like I’m stealing money from somebody and that the only reason I have my job is because of this contract.”

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

“Don’t throw this contract thing out there like I walked into somebody’s office with a gun and a mask and said ‘Hey you better sign this.’ We all knew what we were getting into.”

hahahahahaha good to know that it worked out for Braine in the end, too big guy

The M-Train
03-16-2010, 10:37 PM
This is our fifth trip to the NCAA tournament in 10 years...Should we have been there more? Yeah, no question. I think acceptable would have been seven or eight. But five out of 10 is pretty doggone good.

Since when is pretty doggone good > acceptable?

I would think anything less than acceptable would be (gasp) NOT acceptable and grounds for removal. The fact that he thinks unacceptable performance is "pretty doggone good" astounds me. Remind me why again we renewed this pompous asshole's contract?

77GTFan
03-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Honestly, I don't think there is any need to get too upset about Hewitt's comments. He just takes issue with critics who think he is undeserving to be our coach. We are playing in the NCAA this week - why not enjoy it and hope the team wins a game or two this weekend?

By the same token, I think his defensive comments are ill timed. It is NCAA time - why not focus completely on beating Okla State and Ohio State?

Fans can degrade him all they want and he can defend himself all he wants when the season ends. For now we ought to think about basketball.

EastJacket
03-16-2010, 10:49 PM
He needs to just shut up and coach.

gt02
03-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Can someone explain to me what about his comments have you all worked up? He says very clearly, if you have comments about his coaching, make them. But don't question his character. What is so offensive to you girls about that?

EastJacket
03-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Can someone explain to me what about his comments have you all worked up? He says very clearly, if you have comments about his coaching, make them. But don't question his character. What is so offensive to you girls about that?

Its just annoying. You don't see other coaches coming out and whining about people talking about them. Its tourney time, he needs to worry about coaching and winning a game in the tourney.

The M-Train
03-16-2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Said by Paul Hewitt
"This is our fifth trip to the NCAA tournament in 10 years...Should we have been there more? Yeah, no question. I think acceptable would have been seven or eight. But five out of 10 is pretty doggone good."

He straight up admits that he is doing a less than acceptable job of coaching. We can't inbound, we turnover the ball a ton, commit stupid fouls, don't make free throws, call random timeouts, and generally waste the excellent talent that we have.

And I think we can question his character when he becomes overly confident and pompous because he has a guaranteed contract. He claims that he does nothing wrong, as evidenced by the "acceptable" quote above. He also thinks we are lucky to have him. The man has a losing record in the ACC, we are not lucky to have him for the price we are paying.

BEEFENSE
03-16-2010, 11:10 PM
---ooops---Watch out---1st we are MORONS--then LOW IQ--now we are (gasp) GIRLS--I shudder to think what we rational/factual fans will be called NEXT.:fingersx:

cincytechie
03-16-2010, 11:19 PM
---ooops---Watch out---1st we are MORONS--then LOW IQ--now we are (gasp) GIRLS--I shudder to think what we rational/factual fans will be called NEXT.:fingersx:

it's better to just ignore this kid (gt02). proven track record of being ignorant.

beej67
03-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Anyone proud of their losing record shouldn't be coaching.
Period.

Hewitt will not be coaching Tech after next year. It's basically in the books at this point.

Wow.

gtfan088
03-16-2010, 11:26 PM
He needs to just shut up and coach.

+1

I really wish more people would focus less on Hewitt right now and more on what this team can possibly do this week and (hopefully) beyond...but he makes it really difficult by continuing to try to depict himself as some sort of victim.

Rodzilla
03-16-2010, 11:42 PM
You know, previously people could still defend Hewitt, with, if nothing else, "at least he's a good guy and a great representative of the Institute." He's had a few interviews this year that have completely annihilated his remaining positive trait, specifically the one about his tweets and this one. I used to not be able to stand his basketball but I could at least stand him and thought he was a nice guy. Not anymore. What a dick.

BuzzLaw
03-16-2010, 11:57 PM

PH insinuates that his contract has nothing to do with the decision to keep or fire him. That is an insult to everybody's intelligence. Everyone has problems with his coaching. Everyone also recognizes we have problems with his contract.

I still think DRad may let him go, but my hopes have dwindled.

stinger78
03-17-2010, 07:53 AM

You have to be Paul's wife.

I, for one, was embarrassed by the comments made by Gminski in the ACCT about our inability to inbound the ball, shoot FT's and avoid TO's.

I was also embarrassed by Forde's (accurate) comments about our team on ESPN.

We won 3 games in the ACCT on pure athletic-ism alone. While we played stretches of decent basketball - especially the first half against UMD - we set the record for TO's in the tournament.

At one point Sunday, it was 8-0 Duke and we had 5 TO's in 5 possessions. They were laughing about that on national TV.

We have a problem, and our coach (and you) keeps blaming players and avoiding the obvious. Now he's calling out fans and media.

Paul Hewitt has become an embarrassment to GA Tech.

He needs to identify his issues, own up to them, and make moves to correct them going forward instead of finding people to blame and being defensive. If he worked for me, I'd sit him down and lay it out for him. I suppose he and Rad have had their talks - maybe. He is the problem, and simply scrambling into the NCAAT with the most athletic team in the ACC is not the solution.

gt02
03-17-2010, 08:49 AM
You have to be Paul's wife.

I, for one, was embarrassed by the comments made by Gminski in the ACCT about our inability to inbound the ball, shoot FT's and avoid TO's.

I was also embarrassed by Forde's (accurate) comments about our team on ESPN.

We won 3 games in the ACCT on pure athletic-ism alone. While we played stretches of decent basketball - especially the first half against UMD - we set the record for TO's in the tournament.

At one point Sunday, it was 8-0 Duke and we had 5 TO's in 5 possessions. They were laughing about that on national TV.

We have a problem, and our coach (and you) keeps blaming players and avoiding the obvious. Now he's calling out fans and media.

Paul Hewitt has become an embarrassment to GA Tech.

He needs to identify his issues, own up to them, and make moves to correct them going forward instead of finding people to blame and being defensive. If he worked for me, I'd sit him down and lay it out for him. I suppose he and Rad have had their talks - maybe. He is the problem, and simply scrambling into the NCAAT with the most athletic team in the ACC is not the solution.

What Hewitt said in those quotes, quite clearly, is that if you have problems with all of those stats, those are fine. Those are valid criti****s. But the character attacks are not ok. I don't know what is so disagreeable about that.

Where did he say you are not within your right to criticize turnovers? He even expressly mentioned inbound play. He said just don't make it a character issue.

gt02
03-17-2010, 08:50 AM

I didn't call you a moron or a low IQ. Some people on this board have called me such names, but I didn't call you that.

gt02
03-17-2010, 09:02 AM
it's better to just ignore this kid (gt02). proven track record of being ignorant.

No, I am someone that firmly believes we would be a different team if GT didn't have unexpected departures at PG.

Some people come on this board and criticize PH while admitting they don't watch the games. Other people come on here and take his comments about black basketball players out of context and hate him for that. Other people hate him just because of his contract right now. And I'm ignorant because I actually consider all the factors and give the guy a benefit of a doubt?

GiveEmHellJackets
03-17-2010, 09:12 AM
What Hewitt said in those quotes, quite clearly, is that if you have problems with all of those stats, those are fine. Those are valid criti****s. But the character attacks are not ok. I don't know what is so disagreeable about that.

I'll tell you what's wrong with it: Hewitt wants to be able to run his mouth and say whatever he wants about football players going to Miami or how critical fans are against the team or about how the media is "bullying" him, all the while making more money than most people would ever dream of making, but then when a fan objects to this stuff, he wants to whine that it is a "character attack." He wants not only to have the money and the automatic extensions, he also wants something that nobody, not even the richest SOB in this country could buy with billions of dollars, which is for people to be prohibited from voicing their opinions about him. Is he from ****ing Mars? People aren't supposed to comment on his contract or his behavior? He stepped in to the limelight, he chose this profession, he signed the contract, and, like he said about the GTAA, he knew what he was getting into. You can't be the NCAA basketball coach with one of the best if not the best contracts in the profession and then get all mad when you underperform and the fans grumble about it. Hewitt, by the way, is the one who said back in the fall that this team could finish at the top of the ACC and be a final four team if they stayed healthy. Well, we stayed pretty damned healthy and finished sub-.500 in the ACC and got a 10 seed in the tournament. Grow up, Hewitt. You are a well-paid public figure, and you are going to be scrutinized. It's called earning your money. If you didn't want to be in the newspaper and on sports forums, you shouldn't have taken millions of dollars to be in a high profile business.

But yeah, go back to your Twitter homepage and attack the character of the media and attack the character of the fans, since those those protections apparently only apply to you. And see if you can shore in some more linemen for Randy Shannon too, you buffoon.

beej67
03-17-2010, 09:15 AM
What Hewitt said in those quotes, quite clearly, is that if you have problems with all of those stats, those are fine. Those are valid criti****s. But the character attacks are not ok.He said, quite clearly in those quotes, that he'd still be our head basketball coach no matter what his contract said, because he'd earned it.

That's a lie. And lying begets character attacks.

gt02
03-17-2010, 09:16 AM
He said, quite clearly in those quotes, that he'd still be our head basketball coach no matter what his contract said, because he'd earned it.

That's a lie. And lying begets character attacks.

Ok, when do you think DRad would've fired Hewitt? Before this season, with Favors and Co. coming in? Or after the ACC Tourney?

TechSBP
03-17-2010, 09:31 AM
And I'm ignorant because I actually consider all the factors and give the guy a benefit of a doubt?

He has a 38% player graduation rate. Which is similar to his ACC winning percentage over 10 years.

My problem with Hewitt, is that he won't fix the problems that have been consistent in the program for 10 years now--mainly turnovers, and poor offensive fundamentals from our guards.

gt02
03-17-2010, 09:38 AM
He has a 38% player graduation rate. Which is similar to his ACC winning percentage over 10 years.

My problem with Hewitt, is that he won't fix the problems that have been consistent in the program for 10 years now--mainly turnovers, and poor offensive fundamentals from our guards.

I think the graduation rate speaks volumes about our program. We have way too many early defections, especially at PG.

I am frustrated with our turnovers as well. You think Hewitt is not frustrated with our turnovers at guard play? Read the latest AJC article on Shumpert: http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2010/03/16/if-shumpert-gets-the-point-jackets-have-a-chance/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog

stinger78
03-17-2010, 09:50 AM
I think the graduation rate speaks volumes about our program. We have way too many early defections, especially at PG.

I am frustrated with our turnovers as well. You think Hewitt is not frustrated with our turnovers at guard play? Read the latest AJC article on Shumpert: http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2010/03/16/if-shumpert-gets-the-point-jackets-have-a-chance/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog

Hewitt's being paid over ONE MILLION DOLLARS per year to run this program. He's been here almost TEN YEARS.

This is his problem.

gt02
03-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Hewitt's being paid over ONE MILLION DOLLARS per year to run this program. He's been here almost TEN YEARS.

This is his problem.

And that's where you and I will disagree. If he was complaining about Favors leaving after one year, that is something different because everyone knows Favors is leaving after a year.

No one anticipated Austin Jackson not enrolling, or Critt leaving after a year, or Zam Frederick leaving after a year. I think it is reasonable to give PH the benefit of the doubt on those departures. You don't. We can disagree on this point.

stinger78
03-17-2010, 10:16 AM
And that's where you and I will disagree. If he was complaining about Favors leaving after one year, that is something different because everyone knows Favors is leaving after a year.

No one anticipated Austin Jackson not enrolling, or Critt leaving after a year, or Zam Frederick leaving after a year. I think it is reasonable to give PH the benefit of the doubt on those departures. You don't. We can disagree on this point.

Yes we can.

Highriser987
03-17-2010, 10:45 AM
I really think CPH is on stingtalk.

GiveEmHellJackets
03-17-2010, 11:07 AM
I really think CPH is on stingtalk.

Well, he has pretty much come out and said that his friends read these forums and report back to him.

Highriser987
03-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Yup, I remember hearing that on the radio the other day. Wonder who on here reports to him. Mr. X?

lonestarjacket
03-17-2010, 11:28 AM

We disagree on two basic issues on the "benefit of the doubt."

We disagree on the extended length of time any coach should be able to claim serial "special circumstances."

We disagree on whether Hewitt has faced challenges that are unique to every other coach in NCAA.

We also disagree on how well we have performed relative to our potential even in the "good times."

There was a time when GT teams were considered (by external analysts) to have overperformed relative to our raw talent level.

TechSBP
03-17-2010, 11:29 AM

1. Only 3 people have "defected" for the pros. That doesn't excuse a 38% graduation rate, or the fact that the men's basketball APR is substandard. It does speak volumes about our program. But is says absolutely nothing that is positive. It is damning evidence of a serious problem.

2. If you can defend that graduation rate, for a coach who has been here 10 years, you not keeping the best interests of student athletes in mind. That is unacceptable. And the buck, for retention and recruitment of players stops squarely with Hewitt. 38%. He should be within 20% of the regular student body's graduation rate (excluding individuals who leave early). Hewitt has had 3 players leave early. That is not why we have a 38% graduation rate.

3. If he's frustrated, why has it been a major problem since the end of the 2004 season? Why hasn't it been dealt with and fixed? I'm sure he's frusturated. I just don't know why he can't teach the team to inbound the ball properly over the course of an entire season. That raises a lot of questions.

4. Hewitt needs to hire an assistant that can teach the guards the basic fundamentals of a college-level offense. He needs to shut up too, because he is only making this situation far worse.

I liked Paul Hewitt prior to this season. Lots of people on this board don't agree and I don't care. But his comments are not in the best interest of the Institute. They will not sell more tickets and they make GT look bad. I don't know why he decided to start a war with the AJC. They are irrelevant. I don't know why he can't admit there are problems, while saying the team is improving. I don't know why he calls several losses the "best basketball of the season" when in fact, one half was great and the other was really bad basketball. He could tell it like it is: "we showed our capabilities in one half, but we didn't play two halves like that. We're going to work on doing that and when we do, watch out." That doesn't bash his "young" team. But its at least consistent with reality.

What disturbs me about a lot of these quotes is that Hewitt doesn't seem to be objective about what is going on. I don't think the fans' contract criti****s are really fair. Hewitt has a point. For a lot of folks who critcize the coaches for breaking contracts and going to other school, perhaps it should be flipped around. But Hewitt is trying to conflate criti**** of his coaching with that. And the criti**** of his coaching since 2005 has been spot on, whether he likes it or not. If he doesn't like it, I suggest he teach the team how to inbound the ball.

Ish
03-17-2010, 11:46 AM
When people used to ask me why I wanted him fired, I would rattle off 10 year and 5 year stats, but always end with "but he's a nice guy and represents the Institute well."

Brandon & Wolvy just quoted this post on 790.

BuzzDraft
03-17-2010, 11:47 AM

Your post here just got quoted on 790 the Zone at 11:40am.

alpha
03-17-2010, 12:23 PM
But the character attacks are not ok.

His character was fine until now. But explain to me one thing...

“Don’t put the contract thing out there like I walked into somebody’s office with a gun and a mask,” Hewitt said.Where the hell did that come from? Who said that? You got a link? (posts made on message boards don't count)

To me, it seems like Hewitt keeps making up BS criti****s and trying to deflect attention from his inability to coach our players up. He's trying to make this personal when it is 100% all business. Paul Hewitt, you suck at your job.

Instead of lashing out to his critics (which heavily include GT fans now), he should be looking in the öööö mirror and asking himself WHY he is getting criticized. If he can explain why to himself maybe instead of lashing out he can come out and explain what he thinks the problems are. If he doesn't know what the problems are then he still could say that. Take responsibility for not performing up to par like a head coach should do, like a man should do instead of whining like a little girl to the media.

gth816f
03-17-2010, 12:26 PM
It seems like Paul doesn't want to admit that the team has not been performing up to standards, but has to respond to the criti**** some way. That's where these comments are coming from.

Highriser987
03-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Your post here just got quoted on 790 the Zone at 11:40am.

:biggthumpup:

Did they talk about the polls? LOL

midatlantech
03-17-2010, 12:53 PM
I don't know why he decided to start a war with the AJC.

I think he does this as a way to answer his internal Tech critics without doing it directly. You'd really be dumb to lash out against Tech fans; it' safer to react to the local media.

If, in fact, Hewitt has "friends" reporting in on the fanbase's opinions (websites), then that's just pretty sad. The first thing you learn in life when you hear something you're concerned about, is to go to the source yourself. Intermediaries just cause communication problems.

I have to agree that considering everything, we have to keep Hewitt at this point. As a basketball fan, it pains me to say that because his teams are just hard to watch.

But I have to wonder if Hewitt knows that his team is going to stink next year, and maybe is trying to work a deal to get out now and go to St. John's or something. If not, he really needs to just stop talking.

MacDaddy2
03-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Think about the consistency of attitudes between his words and your co-workers that have lost their jobs.

GiveEmHellJackets
03-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Paul Hewitt tweet: "yall need to stop hating on this team. i just learned that the committee gave us a bye into the round of 48. all those other chumps have to play on thursday lol. we are off the verge and on the move!"

ncjacket
03-17-2010, 01:40 PM
No, I am someone that firmly believes we would be a different team if GT didn't have unexpected departures at PG.

Some people come on this board and criticize PH while admitting they don't watch the games. Other people come on here and take his comments about black basketball players out of context and hate him for that. Other people hate him just because of his contract right now. And I'm ignorant because I actually consider all the factors and give the guy a benefit of a doubt?
Here's the thing though..I've actually defended him against some of the criti**** about his comments that are taken out of context. I watch the games and I don't hate Hewitt. But the factors you point to are all on his watch. The team's performance is his responsibility. The players are his resonsibility. Recruiting gjuys who can succeed and having the right parts on his team every year is responsibility. I don't buy into the crying that we are hurt more than other teams by guys leaving early....everyone deals with it. I don't accept that our grad rates are because of guys leaving for the pros....we've lost far more players who have transferred because they shouldn't have been here in the first place. He and you try to make this about uncontrollable circumstances that just keep torpeding him when he's got things going his way. That's bull. There is no coach in America with more time on the job who has the advantages he has to work with who has done a worse jog. The only coach with his longevity who has produced less that I can find is the guy at Northwestern, which is a complete dead end program. So the question is, do we want to be Duke or Northwestern?

I agree with Paul that he would probably still be our caoch if his contract was different. But I also believe he would be working on a 3-4 year deal with an end date to it instead of this automatic roll thing. Given a choice, no AD in his right mind would have agreed to an extension the last few years.

EastJacket
03-17-2010, 07:41 PM
http://www.macon.com/2010/03/17/1061440/georgia-techs-hewitt-has-sharp.html#ixzz0iTonlkZx

LOL, makes me laugh about he could be making half a million more.

Radakovich also released a statement to fans last week. Hewitt said Radakovich reached out to fans “because he saw it mushroom into something that really was a trumped up story.:
“And again, whether it was or wasn’t, if they feel like I’m not the guy, trust me, I’ve got no problems, I’ll walk away and do whatever I’ve got to do. But to act like I’m holding somebody hostage is really cheap,” Hewitt said. “That really was disgusting.”

“I could have made at least a half million more going someplace else but I felt really strong about the philosophy and mission of Georgia Tech and I felt it was really cheap and deceitful, really, to act like I pulled one over on somebody,” Hewitt said. “I didn’t pull one over on anybody. We went into this with eyes wide open on both sides, and if Georgia Tech doesn’t want me to be their basketball coach, that’s their decision. I’m confident enough in my ability because of how hard I’ve worked and my reputation in the game. I think I’d have a pretty decent chance of finding another job someplace.”

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2010/03/17/1061440/georgia-techs-hewitt-has-sharp.html#ixzz0iTr1GTsZ

gth816f
03-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Do you think he's using the word "cheap" just to make fun of us? Because this whole thing is rather expensive.

GiveEmHellJackets
03-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Hewitt is creating a straw man in my opinion. I don't know of anyone whose big beef with him is that he somehow tricked or coerced us into the contract, or that he was "deceitful." The people that I know of that are complaining are doing so because the team is consistently inconsistent and underachieves with the exception of that one season, and because of Hewitt's recent stream of BS about his critics. Hewitt has cooked up this "I was not deceitful!" crap as a way of avoiding dealing with the legit complaints about his coaching.

cyclejacket
03-17-2010, 08:04 PM
Hewitt is creating a straw man in my opinion. I don't know of anyone whose big beef with him is that he somehow tricked or coerced us into the contract, or that he was "deceitful." The people that I know of that are complaining are doing so because the team is consistently inconsistent and underachieves with the exception of that one season, and because of Hewitt's recent stream of BS about his critics. Hewitt has cooked up this "I was not deceitful!" crap as a way of avoiding dealing with the legit complaints about his coaching.

This.

BCWRECK
03-17-2010, 08:17 PM
I absolutely love the dominant play that Tech shows when they are in a zone; playing the man up pressure D, forcing turnovers or a bad shot, our 5 against your 5, and taking the steal/rebound to 3 or 4 very talented athletes on a fast break.

This is the best play of any NCAA Basketball in the Nation. I still see Tech as a much better team than Duke. Yes, we are not just better, but we are much better than a number 1 seed in the NCAA (and we showed it twice).

It is the fearlessness, the dominance, and the talent. Think Clarence Moore, Jarrett Jack, Ish, Rio... They were afraid of no one. And this year's team is also afraid of no one.

This kind of play is Paul Hewitt coached basketball, and it is phenomenal.
The problem is, is that it just doesn't happen enough.
The pieces are in place right now, more than they have ever been.

JacketIM
03-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Back on 3/3, on another board in a thread about cph, in reply to a "what happened to him" question after the twitter and bark madly war incidents, I commented:

"The problem is that you didn't miss anything, and he hasn't changed.

He addressed all of this in his recent media blitz. Nothing is wrong. We are playing our best basketball. Our kids are working hard and playing hard. We are young, and there is still a lot of basketball to play. This is a very good team, and as young as it is, and in spite of the unbalanced schedule and the luck of the other teams that it has had to endure, it is about to make the ncaat. He is going about what he does exactly the right way. Look for yourself, and you will see it as clearly as he does And these "shots" at his program the cyberbully "experts" (and we internet fan board amateurs) are taking are personal shots at him. If you are not completely supportive of what he is doing, then you are against him, his program, and everything he is and stands for. No middle ground. To him, It is personal.

He is not delusional. To be delusional, you have to know that there is a problem, and rationalize it away. There is no cure. The first step in any problem solution is to acknowledge, publicly, that there is a problem. As he is certain that nothing is wrong, there will never be such an acknowledgement. That's the way he was, is, and will always be. If and when he is ever asked to leave GT, he will be certain that it is for reasons other than the way he ran his program.

But here we are, thinking that there is a problem. Based on his recent statements, our thinking that there is a problem is the problem. Shame on us."

His statements the last couple of days do nothing to change my opinion of him. Too bad such a perfect person is surrounded by such ugly imperfection. But even that is not a problem. He'll just go and make milllions more else where. I really hope that he does, the sooner the better.

gt02
03-17-2010, 08:53 PM

Is this sarcasm? You clearly have not been reading half of your own posts.

TechGator1066
03-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Give em Hell is "special." :hsugh:

GiveEmHellJackets
03-17-2010, 09:00 PM

Show me ONE post where I have said that Hewitt obtained his contract by deceitfulness or coercion, or as he put it, holding a gun to someone's head.

gth816f
03-17-2010, 09:04 PM

While there have no doubt been extraneous posts about Paul Hewitt, it definitely seems that Paul Hewitt is deflecting questions about the team's underperformance by talking about "cyberbullies" and the contract.

gt02
03-17-2010, 09:08 PM
1. Only 3 people have "defected" for the pros. That doesn't excuse a 38% graduation rate, or the fact that the men's basketball APR is substandard. It does speak volumes about our program. But is says absolutely nothing that is positive. It is damning evidence of a serious problem.

That number is wrong. Only 3 people have defected for the NBA. That is not the same as the number that have defected for Europe, MLB, etc.

2. If you can defend that graduation rate, for a coach who has been here 10 years, you not keeping the best interests of student athletes in mind. That is unacceptable. And the buck, for retention and recruitment of players stops squarely with Hewitt. 38%. He should be within 20% of the regular student body's graduation rate (excluding individuals who leave early). Hewitt has had 3 players leave early. That is not why we have a 38% graduation rate.

Wrong for the same reason as above. Hewitt will also be the first to tell you that the recruiting during the transition from Jack, to Austin Jackson to Zam Fredrick was a fiasco that he does not want to repeat. I've heard him say that many times.

3. If he's frustrated, why has it been a major problem since the end of the 2004 season? Why hasn't it been dealt with and fixed? I'm sure he's frusturated. I just don't know why he can't teach the team to inbound the ball properly over the course of an entire season. That raises a lot of questions.

I agree inbounding the ball is a problem, but almost entirely on the press. I haven't seen problems inbounding the ball in a non-press situation in a while. Not excusable, but suggests to me that this is related to guard play because we are very careful about who we can inbound the ball to. For example, look at the problems Duke was having inbounding the ball against our press. One could argue that they never "fixed" the problem, relying on timeouts and balls knocked out of possession to get the ball across. But to the extent they did fix it, their fix was substituting Kyle Singler back in. What does he do? He gives them a third person that can handle the ball. We are lucky to have 2 people on the court at a time that can handle the ball.

4. Hewitt needs to hire an assistant that can teach the guards the basic fundamentals of a college-level offense.

I agree, but I also think we don't have the type of ball handlers on this roster that we need.

He needs to shut up too, because he is only making this situation far worse.

I agree he would be better suited not saying anything.

I liked Paul Hewitt prior to this season. Lots of people on this board don't agree and I don't care. But his comments are not in the best interest of the Institute. They will not sell more tickets and they make GT look bad. I don't know why he decided to start a war with the AJC. They are irrelevant. I don't know why he can't admit there are problems, while saying the team is improving. I don't know why he calls several losses the "best basketball of the season" when in fact, one half was great and the other was really bad basketball.

Are you talking about the Maryland game? We were playing pretty good basketball. He said the same thing in 2004 right before we went on a run to the Final 4.

What disturbs me about a lot of these quotes is that Hewitt doesn't seem to be objective about what is going on. I don't think the fans' contract criti****s are really fair. Hewitt has a point. For a lot of folks who critcize the coaches for breaking contracts and going to other school, perhaps it should be flipped around. But Hewitt is trying to conflate criti**** of his coaching with that. And the criti**** of his coaching since 2005 has been spot on, whether he likes it or not. If he doesn't like it, I suggest he teach the team how to inbound the ball.

To the extent this is true, this is a fair point but there are a lot of people, on this board for example, that have been constantly saying how bad of a person he is. So Hewitt's statement may not have been directed at the type of criti**** you are offering, and it was probably better off that he didn't say what he said, but there are fans that are inappropriate when discussing Hewitt and to them, his statement is fair.

gt02
03-17-2010, 09:11 PM
Show me ONE post where I have said that Hewitt obtained his contract by deceitfulness or coercion, or as he put it, holding a gun to someone's head.

I'm not going to search through your 5,166 posts, but don't be ridiculous. I've read the stuff you post, and some of it is a low blow.

gth816f
03-17-2010, 09:12 PM

Over the past four years, 16 players have left the program. 9 of them are pursuing a professional career. See this post for more details: http://www.stingtalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=521829&postcount=29

GiveEmHellJackets
03-17-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm not going to search through your 5,166 posts, but don't be ridiculous. I've read the stuff you post, and some of it is a low blow.

Sure I have said some harsh stuff, and some over-the-top stuff. (And some stuff has been in violation of Rule #1.) But you implied that I posted that he was deceitful when he signed the contract. You are wrong. Hewitt is wrong. People dislike him because he sucks and because of his attitude about it, not because they think he tricked the GTAA. In fact, everyone I know is more angry with Dave Braine and the GTAA for the stupid contract than they are with Hewitt.

gt02
03-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Sure I have said some harsh stuff, and some over-the-top stuff. (And some stuff has been in violation of Rule #1.) But you implied that I posted that he was deceitful when he signed the contract. You are wrong. Hewitt is wrong. People dislike him because he sucks and because of his attitude about it, not because they think he tricked the GTAA. In fact, most folks I know (including me) are more angry with Dave Braine and the GTAA for the stupid contract than they are with Hewitt.

Ok, if your point is that you never said anything about him being deceitful during his process of obtaining his contract, that may be true. I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if you did, but maybe you didn't. Either way people on this board have. Separately, there have been too many posts to count about his character unrelated to his coaching. You disagree?

GiveEmHellJackets
03-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Ok, if your point is that you never said anything about him being deceitful during his process of obtaining his contract, that may be true. I don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if you did, but maybe you didn't. Either way people on this board have. Separately, there have been too many posts to count about his character unrelated to his coaching. You disagree?

Of course I admit that there have been a lot of remarks here about his crappy character.

gt02
03-17-2010, 09:29 PM
We disagree on whether Hewitt has faced challenges that are unique to every other coach in NCAA.

I don't think they are unique to Hewitt. Just ask Roy Williams what happens when you have extremely talented and extremely young guards. I think our situation with PGs was a little more extreme than with other schools, because in Hewitt's situation even his backup plan (Zam) didn't work out. Hewitt had a bad recruiting cycle, he will admit to that. But I like the direction our recruiting is headed in now.

There was a time when GT teams were considered (by external analysts) to have overperformed relative to our raw talent level.
Are you referring to 2004?

GTBandit22
03-17-2010, 10:24 PM
I don't think they are unique to Hewitt. Just ask Roy Williams what happens when you have extremely talented and extremely young guards.

The difference being, that Roy has a track record of rebounding from bad seasons, and all we hear is more excuses for PH.
If PH had 2 NCAA titles and a Final Four like Roy, we wouldn't be having this discussion.
Williams-77-35 in the ACC total;141-38 overall the last 5 seasons.
Hewitt-67-93 in the ACC total;76-74 overall in the last 5 seasons.
Can we stop with the Roy and Paul comparisons?

My personal opinion is that PH needs two NBA caliber PG's to make this team elite. We had Bynum and Jack in 2004-5, and not much else since then. If we have to rely on having 2 NBA PG's, we will be mediocre for the foreseeable future.

ncjacket
03-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Why would anyone suggest he was deceitful in negotiating his contract? I haven't seen any criti**** of Hewitt around the contract, only concerns that it's taken away his competitiveness. The criti**** on the contract is levied agaisnt Braine and Clough. They werent' deceitful either BTW...they were stupid.

TechGator1066
03-17-2010, 10:37 PM
I haven't seen any criti**** of Hewitt around the contract, only concerns that it's taken away his competitiveness. The criti**** on the contract is levied agaisnt Braine and Clough. They werent' deceitful either BTW...they were stupid.
Exactly.

TechSBP
03-18-2010, 01:34 AM
That number is wrong. Only 3 people have defected for the NBA. That is not the same as the number that have defected for Europe, MLB, etc.

Wrong for the same reason as above. Hewitt will also be the first to tell you that the recruiting during the transition from Jack, to Austin Jackson to Zam Fredrick was a fiasco that he does not want to repeat. I've heard him say that many times.

The graduation rate is STILL unacceptable 38%. The MLB didn't count against our graduation rate--neither did early NBA folks. Are you really trying to defend this graduation rate?

WE, GEORGIA TECH, our men's basketball program, is the ONLY ACC sports team with an APR low enough to warrant an NCAA penalty.

Paul Hewitt's team, is, under the APR (which one of our profs helped develop) the lowest achieving ACC team in any sport.

TechSBP
03-18-2010, 01:40 AM
Are you talking about the Maryland game? We were playing pretty good basketball. He said the same thing in 2004 right before we went on a run to the Final 4.

I'm talking about comments after Miami and NC$U. That period.

In 2004, his team earned a #3 seed. This year, a more talented team barely got in. With a #10 seed.

Quite frankly, I didn't have a problem with him coming back until I saw the abysmal academic numbers. Sure, some of his comments have been funny. But those numbers are really bad.

gth816f
03-18-2010, 08:48 AM
I don't think they are unique to Hewitt. Just ask Roy Williams what happens when you have extremely talented and extremely young guards. I think our situation with PGs was a little more extreme than with other schools, because in Hewitt's situation even his backup plan (Zam) didn't work out. Hewitt had a bad recruiting cycle, he will admit to that. But I like the direction our recruiting is headed in now.

You spend every night toasting yourself as the defending national champion?

yjack
03-18-2010, 10:31 AM

Roy Williams TOOK RESPONSIBILITY and said he didn't do a very good coaching job this year. I didn't hear excuses!

Highriser987
03-18-2010, 11:19 AM
http://www.photofunia.com/output/5/1/e/j/3/ej3XPKFeVysvfSNVClt9nw.jpg