PDA

View Full Version : Tech vs. Sourthern, 2015

gmlane
05-01-2009, 03:00 PM
ATLANTA -- Georgia Tech will play Georgia Southern in football for the first time ever in 2015, Yellow Jacket athletic director Dan Radakovich announced today.

The Yellow Jackets and Eagles, who have no previous meetings in football, have agreed to an early September date in Atlanta. Terms of the one-game contract will be determined at a later date.

Georgia Southern has been one of the nation's most successful and tradition-rich Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) teams. Georgia Tech head coach Paul Johnson coached the Eagles for five years, including I-AA national championships in 1999 and 2000. He also spent four seasons as an assistant coach at Georgia Southern.

"Georgia Southern is a special place to me," Johnson said. "I lived in Statesboro for nine years and we were fortunate to have a great deal of success there.

"Playing Georgia Southern makes perfect sense. They are a high-quality opponent and there will be a tremendous amount of interest in the game within the state of Georgia."

Georgia Southern joins Tulane, Georgia and Syracuse on Tech's tentative 2015 non-conference schedule.

gtduck
05-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Here's the official link http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050109aaa.html

TechSBP
05-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Georgia Southern joins Tulane, Georgia and Syracuse on Tech's tentative 2015 non-conference schedule.

I think this is a near perfect out-of-conference schedule.

Syracuse---member of the Big Least, a BCS conference
Tulane---one of Tech's oldest rivals
Georgia Southern---a I-AA school that will interest everyone in the state of Georgia.

gmlane
05-01-2009, 03:19 PM
Another thought...we are basically playing GSU because of CPJ.

Which also means that CPJ thinks he will still be here in 6 years.

surferdave
05-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Another thought...we are basically playing GSU because of CPJ.

Which also means that CPJ thinks he will still be here in 6 years.

Well, Georgia Southern plays at Navy next year for the same reason.

gmlane
05-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Touche.

JacketInNOLA
05-01-2009, 03:41 PM

True but I think CPJ will stick around for a season or two to "prove" his system works with the big boys. Unless GT finishes the season as a top 5 team I don't see him leaving.

I'd be scared to see what he could do at say an LSU or Florida with the recruits he could get there w/o the academic issues at Tech ...

gth816f
05-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Not a good idea. GSU is too good and they know our offense too well.

fattyjackson
05-01-2009, 04:16 PM

They haven't run the triple since Mike Sewak left, I believe in 2004. Don't they run the "Hatch Attack," which is some kind of Air Raid offense?

Damarius
05-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Good news. Will be fun.

Damarius
05-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Will be interesting to see that Air Raid Offense Hatcher runs.

GTLiebs
05-01-2009, 04:26 PM
True but I think CPJ will stick around for a season or two to "prove" his system works with the big boys. Unless GT finishes the season as a top 5 team I don't see him leaving.

I'd be scared to see what he could do at say an LSU or Florida with the recruits he could get there w/o the academic issues at Tech ...

It doesn't seem likely he will leave any time soon. I think it would take some amazing kind of success, like in the National Title hunt at the end of season, plus an amazing job off, like Florida or USC with great terms, and it won't be in the next 3 or 4 years.

Allen Koholic
05-01-2009, 04:32 PM
Will be interesting to see that Air Raid Offense Hatcher runs.I don't think that Chris Hatcher will still be there by then. There's interest in him from larger schools.

gsu_paintballer
05-01-2009, 04:37 PM
I don't think that Chris Hatcher will still be there by then. There's interest in him from larger schools.

Yea.

Right.

He sucks.

Yellow Fever
05-01-2009, 04:39 PM
I can only wish that Hatcher is not there, that means that he did so well (deep playoff run, multi time conference champs) that he was plucked up. And hey, we might return to the flexbone! (yeah right I wish)

I've been wanting this for years and years and finally I will get to see my two fav teams play!

Also, GSU could be in the SunBelt by then, who knows this might not be a FBS vs. FCS game after all.

turbanicusgt
05-01-2009, 05:59 PM

What's wrong with them knowing our offense? I think it will make it a better game. I'd rather play them then Wafford or South Carolina State again. Cupcakes are not the way to go out of conference. Show some balls and play someone.

midatlantech
05-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Southern will fill out the stadium also I'd think.

gth816f
05-01-2009, 06:28 PM
What's wrong with them knowing our offense? I think it will make it a better game. I'd rather play them then Wafford or South Carolina State again. Cupcakes are not the way to go out of conference. Show some balls and play someone.

Because we won't get any more credit for playing a difficult 1AA team than we will for playing a terrible 1AA team. We don't want a "good game" against a team we are supposed to blow out. We want to blow them out and use it as a rest period for our starters. See: our season opener this year. The goal is to win a championship.

WreckTheRest
05-01-2009, 06:49 PM

If our current winning ways with PJ continue that far into the future, GSU won't be a problem.

lonestarjacket
05-01-2009, 07:17 PM
We don't want a "good game" against a team we are supposed to blow out. We want to blow them out and use it as a rest period for our starters. See: our season opener this year. The goal is to win a championship.

Yeah, that was exactly the reason to not play them for so long.

Added to that was the recruiting problem. It does not help us to make GSU a more viable alternative for Georgia prospects. That means more competition for recruits.

On the other side, it is all upside for GSU. They can lose a good game and get a moral victory and still "win". They can position themselves possibly even move up to FBS with a good showing at the higher level.

This is definitely a favor for GSU.

GT1994-1999
05-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Because we won't get any more credit for playing a difficult 1AA team than we will for playing a terrible 1AA team.

Bingo. I am split on this. On one hand it is good to keep the money in-state and will create more interest than a Jax State. On the other, they are good. If we win 77-0, we don't get credit. If we win 24-21, we get ridiculed. If they win...

texstinger
05-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Just as good, if not better, getting to play Cuse and that scumbag traitor marrone.

carober18
05-02-2009, 12:53 AM
I really do not worry too much about the high risk/low reward type arguments that are being mentioned. No one knows how either team will be in 2015. Plus, if GT were to lose to GSU, I think the program would have taken a turn from where it is now headed and we would have other worries. Also, there is no need to worry about trying to strategically schedule out-of-conference games to help position us. If GT were to win all its games, no matter who the OOC games were, we would be in the mnc game most any given year.

NatiJacket
05-02-2009, 02:50 AM
I would rather have an exciting, entertaining season then a boring, dull one in which we won a MNC. Shooting for the blandest, easiest schedule so that you have a chance of winning them all and sneaking into a MNC game is retarded.

swampsting
05-02-2009, 03:07 AM
I'm looking forward to it, no matter who's coaching either team (though I hope and think PJ will be still be at Grant Field then).
TPTB almost had a deal worked out 10-15 years ago for a Tech-Southern game. It fell through for reasons I never learned, but they were like 90 percent of getting it done.
Georgia's got no problem scheduling GSU every four years or so. (If only Kevin whatshisname had been DC for one more year and it hadn't rained, the Eagles woulda run all over them in 00. Then again, if wishes were candy and nuts ....)
Frankly, I'm looking forward to the 2015 Tech-GSU game.

BerryGT
05-02-2009, 03:46 AM
I can't believe you guys are seriously worried about this.

Jacket Ob
05-02-2009, 09:43 AM
give the boys in Statesboro credit. They have UNC this year, Bama in 2011, GT 2015. It sure doesn't hurt them in terms of exposure. More power to them.

gth816f
05-02-2009, 10:08 AM
I would rather have an exciting, entertaining season then a boring, dull one in which we won a MNC. Shooting for the blandest, easiest schedule so that you have a chance of winning them all and sneaking into a MNC game is retarded.

You have to be kidding me. You'd rather have an exciting season than win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP?

I wonder if this is how David Braine thought. I can assure you, winning a national championship would be plenty exciting even if we dominate all our games.

Yukonwreck
05-02-2009, 11:24 AM
Touche.

I love it when you speak French.:laugher:

gnats67
05-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Oh great if I'm even alive.

2015? Are you ****tin me? We'll have two or three NCs by then. Statesboro will be HQ for Walmart.

Yellow Fever
05-02-2009, 02:04 PM
UGA in 2012 is in the works and expected. I went to athens last year for my first time to see GSU vs. UGA, it was HELL, i'll never go back to that place.

I also went to ATL to see GT's first PJ game and I LOVED it and can't wait to go again!

gsu_paintballer
05-02-2009, 05:14 PM
Oh great if I'm even alive.

2015? Are you ****tin me? We'll have two or three NCs by then. Statesboro will be HQ for Walmart.

:laugher::laugher::laugher::laugher:

TechFan4Life
05-04-2009, 10:20 AM
Yeah - hate to break it to everyone but we'll be dust by then. 12/21/2012 = end game. We'll cross over the galactic equator and Alaska will relocate to the middle of the pacific in a matter of hours. No more grid iron. No more sun shine. No more Athens - yeah, it'll be worth it :) haha

swampsting
05-04-2009, 02:33 PM
I can't believe you guys are seriously worried about this.

Two words:
Furman. 1986.
Or...
Western Carolina. 1985.
Furman. 1994.

Or...
Oregon State 48, Georgia Southern 41, 1999.
Georgia Southern 10, Florida State 7, with 14 minutes to play, 1988.

refrigeratormover
05-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Considering out talent level is about 200 times better than those days I think I can say I feel comfortable.

GT_LUVER
05-04-2009, 02:45 PM
You have to be kidding me. You'd rather have an exciting season than win a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP?

I wonder if this is how David Braine thought. I can assure you, winning a national championship would be plenty exciting even if we dominate all our games.:biggthumpup: QFT

HootieJohnson
05-04-2009, 03:19 PM

:laugher:

Yellow Fever
05-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Two words:
Furman. 1986.
Or...
Western Carolina. 1985.
Furman. 1994.

Or...
Oregon State 48, Georgia Southern 41, 1999.

You Forgot Georgia Southern-17 Auburn -0 at Half

(they killed us in the 2nd half though)

We have never beaten an I-A (FBS) school.