PDA

View Full Version : The NFL draft is not a barometer

GTBandit22
04-27-2009, 04:04 PM
I've been reading all the boards and a few comments have jumped out at me as to how the draft showed our D-line was overrated. Some of our younger and newer fans need to realize that the draft doesn't mean squat when comparing college players.
Joe Hamilton-7th round
DJ Shockley-7th round
Eric "Icky" Henderson- undrafted
Kelly Campbell-undrafted
Nate Stimson-4th round
David Greene-7th round
Dawan Landry-5th round
James Butler-undrafted
Gary Guyton-undrafted
Kenny Scott-undrafted
Kerry Watkins-undrafted
Goose Godsey-undrafted
Jonathan Smith-7th round

These are some of the best Tech players of the last 15 years, and arguably the 2 best QB's to play for UGA in the same time frame. Does their draft status make them overrated college players? Can anyone remember a time when we had 3 DL drafted in the same year?

gth816f
04-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Well, our D-Line was predicted to have several first round draft picks, including one top 10. In that sense, there is no disputing it was overrated, because we didn't have those things. But I agree, that doesn't necessarily mean that they weren't great college players...but I'd also say that the D-Line did not live up to expectations in the second half of the season, either.

GTBandit22
04-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Agreed. But some are acting like the draft has an effect on how they look at our players. I couldn't care less when they are drafted. You can look at the production last year and argue they were overrated, but to look at their draft position and make that assumption is stupid. Would anyone have traded Vance or DR for Corey Irvin? Or MJ for Ayers? Not me.

JWE37
04-27-2009, 05:19 PM
The NFL draft is based on many things in addition to college production. The fact that draft status of prospects changes so drastically AFTER the season is proof.

floridajacket
04-27-2009, 05:31 PM
The NFL draft is based on many things in addition to college production. The fact that draft status of prospects changes so drastically AFTER the season is proof.

However, MJ dropped mostly because of college production, unlike Kenny Scott, who had unspecified character issues which apparently he never overcame. For whatever reason, he didn't have the flash some expected. Indeed, I saw Vance Walker's name called a good bit more than MJ's throughout the season.

My bet is NFL GM's are just weary of anyone who looked overhyped and gyrated too far the other way when his hype didn't pan out this year. I still think he would have been in much better shape this year with more support past the front 4.