PDA

View Full Version : PJ gets a new deal!

gt23eric
12-16-2008, 06:17 PM
According to the AJC. Details of the contract have not been released yet.

Rodzilla
12-16-2008, 06:18 PM
I've heard it was a contract extension, not just an increase in pay. I'm pumped, because he gets what he has earned (more $$) and we get what we want (him for more years). I hope this is the case!

gt23eric
12-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Yeah. I read somewhere that it was 7 years at 2.5 million a year. Maybe somebody else seen this?

GTKyle
12-16-2008, 07:04 PM
He should get a 1 year contract extension and $200,000 raise. That's all we can afford and is reasonable in these economic times. He's only been here 1 year. If gets 10 wins next year he deserves $2M+.

ncjacket
12-16-2008, 07:07 PM
He should get a 1 year contract extension and $200,000 raise. That's all we can afford and is reasonable in these economic times. He's only been here 1 year. If gets 10 wins next year he deserves $2M+.
Shut up Kyle. Even you should understand that these things have nothing to with economic times...it's what the market demands.

TechinItEasy
12-16-2008, 07:17 PM
:lol2:

Did you find a leaked copy of the GTAA's financial statements?

Or did you never study the difference between macro and micro economics?

gth816f
12-16-2008, 07:22 PM
Shut up Kyle. Even you should understand that these things have nothing to with economic times...it's what the market demands.

I agree with Kyle on this one(kind of). Nothing to do with the economy, but he hasn't really done anything to justify a raise in my opinion. Sure, he had a fantastic year, but let's keep it in perspective: it's not like he even won a division title. I have no doubt that he will bring us this and more in the future, but he didn't do it this year. The bottom line to me is that it has been ONE YEAR, and there are few things you can do in one year to justify a raise to me.

You're right about the market though: if he was going to leave us because we weren't giving him $200k more a year, it was worth it because he is a fantastic coach and we really do need to lock him up. However, I would be very disappointed if that was his attitude...willing to leave for a little more money after he just started a program.

This is just the opinion of an outsider though. I don't know how these things really work.

BarrelORum
12-16-2008, 07:25 PM
GT Kyle on the fiscal state of the GTAA and the coaching market:

:noob:

gsu_paintballer
12-16-2008, 07:28 PM
Who are we? Notre Dame? Sure, he's a good coach and all. Let's commit ourselves for 10 years.

Worked for them. Contracts are for the benefit of the coach, not the AA.

gnats67
12-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Take care of Coach. He earned it.

gtduck
12-16-2008, 07:34 PM
I agree with Kyle on this one(kind of). Nothing to do with the economy, but he hasn't really done anything to justify a raise in my opinion...

Well he beat UGAy, that should be worth something. I know he was hired with the anticipation that this would happen, but it's still something that matters (and something that hasn't happened in quite a while).

The other thing he's done is make GT Football exciting. Not only has he energized the fanbase, but people who could usually care less about GT are now taking notice.

lonestarjacket
12-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Who are we? Notre Dame? Sure, he's a good coach and all. Let's commit ourselves for 10 years.

Yeah, obviously contracts do nothing to entice a coach to complete them. They just obligate the school to continue to pay.

Pay what the market dictates, but I anticipate a "coaching bubble" that will eventually burst as teams keep paying not only the current coach but the last one as well.

Schools are using the same type logic as the real estate speculators - that there will be no end to the increasing revenue from college sports. Eventually that well will run dry and we will have a correction.

gth816f
12-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Well he beat UGAy, that should be worth something. I know he was hired with the anticipation that this would happen, but it's still something that matters (and something that hasn't happened in quite a while).

The other thing he's done is make GT Football exciting. Not only has he energized the fanbase, but people who could usually care less about GT are now taking notice.

Hey, don't get me wrong, I love the guy. I think what he's doing is awesome. I just don't think that he deserves a raise for doing what we hired him to do. If he keeps us in the top 25 next year and wins the Coastal, great, give him an extension. But what if we go (God forbid) 8-4 next year with a loss to U[sic]GA and some D1AA team? Then we're right back at square one, except we're paying him more money for a longer time if this year turns out to be an aberration.

Just wait a little bit and see, that's all I'm saying. Especially given what is happening at Notre Dame right now. They all thought he was the best thing since sliced bread, but if they had just waited a year they could have seen that maybe he's not. You should never do anything in the heat of the moment.

If he would leave this year because we won't give him a raise, then maybe we don't need him. Not to say this was his doing...I'm sure it was his agent, and that's his agent's job.

gtfan088
12-16-2008, 08:01 PM

I see your point, but PJ has a much better track record as a head coach than Weiss did when he got his extension...because he had never even been a head coach prior to taking the ND job. PJ has won everywhere he has been so I think that there's less risk involved.

BarrelORum
12-16-2008, 08:10 PM
The comparisons to Weis and Notre Dame are total bull****. Weis had never had head coaching experience. He was a "mastermind" offensive coordinator in the pros. See Chan Gailey.

Paul Johnson is a proven winner at the college head coaching level.

Point: Do whatever it takes to secure him here long term. Anyone who wants to compare this to Weis and Notre Dame is either
1.) retarded
2.) a ****ing idiot.
or
3.) just plain ignorant.

Which one are you.

p.s.
By the way GSU, you lose this thread and I win. Here is your dunce hat, now go sit in the corner.

law_bee
12-16-2008, 08:13 PM
2.5 mil is BIG $$$$ I would be surprised if it is that high. We don't have an 80k stadium that we sell out 7x's a year.

I will be interested to see the final $$$'s.

I guess nothing says I luv u like 2mil+!

gth816f
12-16-2008, 08:31 PM
Paul Johnson is a proven winner at the college head coaching level.

Point: Do whatever it takes to secure him here long term. Anyone who wants to compare this to Weis and Notre Dame is either
1.) retarded
2.) a ****ing idiot.
or
3.) just plain ignorant.

Which one are you.

Really BoR? There's no similarities between the two? I agree it is less risk than ND and Weis, but that doesn't mean that there are no similarities. In both cases, the coach had great success in their first season and they got an extension. Yes, our coach has had success(though not at this level) before and has a much better track record than Weis, but that doesn't GUARANTEE anything. I'm sure our extension won't be as long or stupid as what ND did for Weis(I hope), but I still don't think it's a necessary step.

Yes, the situations are different, but that doesn't mean that you can't take what you learned about one, admittedly different, situation and apply it to a new, yet similar, situation and get useful results. I learned about it in cognitive psychology, I think it's called "learning". And since the teacher didn't write that I was "retarded" or "a ****ing idiot," I think I probably absorbed the material pretty well.

And no, I don't want to go over how we all think he will do great and is the polar opposite of Charlie Weis, because I agree with all of that. That doesn't mean it is fact though, and all the ND people thought the same thing about Charlie.

cajunjacket
12-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Yeah, obviously contracts do nothing to entice a coach to complete them. They just obligate the school to continue to pay.

Pay what the market dictates, but I anticipate a "coaching bubble" that will eventually burst as teams keep paying not only the current coach but the last one as well.

Schools are using the same type logic as the real estate speculators - that there will be no end to the increasing revenue from college sports. Eventually that well will run dry and we will have a correction.

Great post. Agree totally about the coaching bubble.

GTland03
12-16-2008, 08:53 PM
I think it will be more like $2mm per year with some other stipulations.

But he deserves it!!! He obviously wants to be here for a LONG TIME. GT is on the way back to the top of college football and we will be a contender EVERY SINGLE year.

Once this happens, everything else will fall in place. There will be a waiting list of season tickets, GT gear will be everywhere, and UGA will be our B*TCH.

BarrelORum
12-16-2008, 09:10 PM
That doesn't mean it is fact though, and all the ND people thought the same thing about Charlie.

Again, see my above post. Either your retarded, an idiot, or ignorant. Take your pick. There are no similarities. PJ has proven he is a winner at this level, how about this year genius? Or the fact that he built Navy into the biggest power it has been since Starbaugh? Or how about his championships at GSU? He's had one losing season as a head coach and it was his first year at Navy. If you don't recognize that we have a special coach, I hate to tell you but see the above...
1.) retard
2.) idiot
3.) ignorant

gth816f
12-16-2008, 09:21 PM
Again, see my above post. Either your retarded, an idiot, or ignorant. Take your pick. There are no similarities. PJ has proven he is a winner at this level, how about this year genius? Or the fact that he built Navy into the biggest power it has been since Starbaugh? Or how about his championships at GSU? He's had one losing season as a head coach and it was his first year at Navy. If you don't recognize that we have a special coach, I hate to tell you but see the above...
1.) retard
2.) idiot
3.) ignorant

Yes, well, he has been a head coach at ONE 1A school and went to a bowl game with them every year. THAT is the extent of his head coaching experience at this level, and it wasn't even a BCS school. Well thank the ****ing lord that we found a coach who has proven he is able to take a team to a bowl every year, let's lock him up for the next decade. Yes, I understand that he had far less talent there than he has here, but guess what? If you play that card, then you can't really say he has experience at this level.

If you would read my posts, you would see that I said I love Paul Johnson and think he will bring us ACC titles and more. I just think that we have a perfectly good contract in place right now, and before we commit ourselves for longer we should learn exactly what we have. Being patient has never hurt anyone, and if you can't see that people have thought they had the perfect coach after one season(for a variety of different reasons) and it turned out to not be true, then you are either:
1.) retarded
2.) idiotic
3.) ignorant

Of course, I forgot that you are BarrelORum, and you have all of the answers. In that case I guess nothing I just said applies, so feel free to disregard all of it.

EDIT: ****, I just read that part where you gave this year as an example of PJ's success at this level. THAT was where our misunderstanding was: I had forgotten that Weis had a crappy year his first year at Notre Dame. My bad. I can see that there are no similarities between the two situations now.

Geori
12-16-2008, 09:30 PM
If Paul Johnson leaves I don't think it's going to be about the money. That's just not him. I don't think the extension is going to hold him back any more than the silly "coach in waiting" thing is keeping Will Muschamp at Texas. We are paying CPJ more because it is the right thing to do. He's making more money for GT so he should be paid more.

BarrelORum
12-16-2008, 09:32 PM
If you would read my posts, you would see that I said I love Paul Johnson and think he will bring us ACC titles and more. I just think that we have a perfectly good contract in place right now, and before we commit ourselves for longer we should learn exactly what we have. Being patient has never hurt anyone, and if you can't see that people have thought they had the perfect coach after one season(for a variety of different reasons) and it turned out to not be true, then you are either:
1.) retarded
2.) idiotic
3.) ignorant

Of course, I forgot that you are BarrelORum, and you have all of the answers. In that case I guess nothing I just said applies, so feel free to disregard all of it.

I do have all the answers, when you accept that, it will be much easier for you.
I think its funny that you love him and think that he will bring us ACC titles, but you think we are unwise for locking him up long term.

You again are trying to make a crappy comparison to Weis and Notre Dame when clearly that is ****ing irrelevant. The two coaches can't be compared other than they had a good first year with a new school and both are getting a big extension. That's it. That's the only comparison you can draw. And its the easiest one to draw.

We have a "perfectly good contract in place" that is BELOW ****ING AVERAGE MARKET VALUE. He's not even above 50% of the ACC. Do you understand that? Does that register? He came to us over better offers from Duke and SMU. He proved that he could win and win with young players.

When you see a good thing, you make the most of it. You don't sit there holding your dick as someone else will come in next year and it will be eaiser for them to throw a lot more money at him. You give him more money, you make his pay above the average coach in the ACC and you renegotiate a big buyout clause, otherwise we're sitting here next year with more of a chance that someone will take him away.

If you think he's going to bring you many ACC championships, then pay the ****ing guy. Especially when he's below the average coach in the ACC.

BarrelORum
12-16-2008, 09:37 PM
EDIT: ****, I just read that part where you gave this year as an example of PJ's success at this level. THAT was where our misunderstanding was: I had forgotten that Weis had a crappy year his first year at Notre Dame. My bad. I can see that there are no similarities between the two situations now.

Again, you're a ignoramus and there is no hope for you. You draw the surface comparison, when everything about their pasts are polar opposites. Not to mention we have an additional 3 years of Weis failure to draw conclusioons. You keep trying to make that point. Its weak as ****.

How about telling me how Weis and PJ are alike instead of telling me how their situations are alike? Then once you figure out that you don't have an argument, there's a dunce cap waiting for you in the chair in the corner.

Bogey
12-16-2008, 09:38 PM
It's good money for us, with all the TV money out there, at 2.5 because he will grow our program. He is a great OC as well as a head coach, and we don't have to pay for a top notch OC like Friedgen big bucks. Plus we won't have any expensive buy outs during his term. A no brainer in my opinion. Trust Drad to do the right thing.
Or would you like to run both of them off and go back to a Brainless AD with his hire?

BarrelORum
12-16-2008, 09:39 PM
We are paying CPJ more because it is the right thing to do. He's making more money for GT so he should be paid more.

Stop making so much sense, the rest of these idiots don't understand simple economics and sound business decisions.

BarrelORum
12-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Let me not even mention that Weis took over a group of experienced veterans and PJ took over the youngest team in the ACC.

Point, Game, Set... MATCH!!

cyptomcat
12-16-2008, 09:56 PM
You don't sit there holding your dick but how did you know?

gtbuzz
12-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Let me not even mention that Weis took over a group of experienced veterans and PJ took over the youngest team in the ACC.

Point, Game, Set... MATCH!!

you also forgot to mention that weis was a mastermind OC at new england when he knew in advance what the defense was going to run :fingersx:

gth816f
12-16-2008, 09:58 PM
Again, you're a ignoramus and there is no hope for you. You draw the surface comparison, when everything about their pasts are polar opposites. Not to mention we have an additional 3 years of Weis failure to draw conclusioons. You keep trying to make that point. Its weak as ****.

How about telling me how Weis and PJ are alike instead of telling me how their situations are alike? Then once you figure out that you don't have an argument, there's a dunce cap waiting for you in the chair in the corner.

I guess you must be missing the part where I said Paul Johnson is a great coach and nothing like Charlie Weis. I was using the Charlie Weis situation to illustrate that sometimes, no matter how sure you are that a coach is great for your program, it doesn't turn out to be true, especially when you have a small sample size to work with.

You're right, we do have three years of Weis failure to look at...my point is that we don't have three years of PJ success to look at. The point of all my posts isn't that Johnson is like Weis(although I guess that is the easiest conclusion to draw, despite the fact that I said multiple times I think the exact opposite), but that Notre Dame thought they had a perfect candidate and acted rashly to lock him up.

You are operating on the principle that there is no way we could possibly be wrong about Paul Johnson being a great coach for our university, and I'm saying that's foolish. If that makes me an ignoramus, then so be it. Dan knows what he's doing I guess.

gsu_paintballer
12-16-2008, 10:09 PM
The only "proven winning" that he has done at this level is the 9 (soon to be 10) wins he has at GT. Navy is not at this level. Georgia Southern is not at this level. YOU, BoR, are the one looking like an idiot mouthing off over nothing.

BarrelORum
12-16-2008, 10:15 PM
you are right, I'm a foolish guy. I think it is certainly a possibility that we may be wrong about Paul Johnson, but let me give you a proper comparison:

Columbus theorized that the world was round based on his journey's and studying the moon, sun and stars. A lot of people thought he was wrong.

Many people think Isaac Newton discovered gravity. He just pointed out the obvious.

Some things are just readily apparent and when they are, you bank on them.

beej67
12-16-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm a manager.

I seriously question anyone's "management judgement" who doesn't think PJ should get a raise.

If you have a rockstar employee, and you don't want him to spend all day on Monster.com, you renegotiate his deal.

gsu_paintballer
12-16-2008, 10:36 PM
A raise is not the same as a contract extension

BarrelORum
12-16-2008, 10:40 PM
A raise is not the same as a contract extension
In college coaching those two go hand in hand. That is just the market place for coaches. And I completely agree with Beej. Anyone who is against this is blind as a ****ing bat and is probably living it up large in their lower-middle income bracket.

beej67
12-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Yes. They're different. What's the difference?

A contract extension is FREE unless you fire him.

Raise your hand if you think PJ is EVER getting fired.

Exactly.

bellyseries
12-16-2008, 10:48 PM
You should never do anything in the heat of the moment.

Well, you should kiss her and tell her she's beautiful.

BarrelORum
12-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Well, you must have never gotten laid much in college.

Fixed

SkiJacket
12-16-2008, 11:22 PM
I don't mind the idea of throwing a little money his way - both as a reward for an incredible season, and to make a buyout more expensive for another school.

Really, it comes down to one of the most fundamental, applicable rules out there. Whether it's playing sports, shooting home movies of your kids, having one-night-stands, or negotiating your coach's contract: ALWAYS protect your Johnson.

:cool:

TechGator1066
12-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Really, it comes down to one of the most fundamental, applicable rules out there. Whether it's playing sports, shooting home movies of your kids, having one-night-stands, or negotiating your coach's contract: ALWAYS protect your Johnson.
:biggthumpup:+1:laugher:

theShaft
12-16-2008, 11:37 PM
In my world, you rarely get more than 6% for doing what you were hired to do. Yeah there's occasional bumps and position promotions, but doing what you're supposed to do? Now, with that being said, I'm happy for him. If I was DRad, I think I would have waited to see how many season tickets get sold before I gave him more money. D-Rad, I would now like my 'seat licensing' fee refund.

Chuck Smith
12-16-2008, 11:43 PM
The only "proven winning" that he has done at this level is the 9 (soon to be 10) wins he has at GT. Navy is not at this level. Georgia Southern is not at this level. YOU, BoR, are the one looking like an idiot mouthing off over nothing.

Sorry, but what CPJ did at Navy is "at this level", imho. What he did at Navy is crazy, am I the only person to see this? Navy went to 5 bowl games from 1964 to 1996, and CPJ went to 5 straight bowls there. Just look at Navy's stats against BCS teams while he was there. What he did at Navy against BCS schools, given the talent he had, is crazy. I honestly think that a CPJ Navy team could go to a bowl every year playing in the ACC.

mmbt0ne
12-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Navy went to 5 bowl games from 1964 to 1996, and CPJ went to 5 straight bowls there.

Navy had only gone to 10 bowl games in 44 years and Ken Niumatalolo got them to a bowl in his first year!

Chuck Smith
12-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Navy had only gone to 10 bowl games in 44 years and Ken Niumatalolo got them to a bowl in his first year!

Yes he did, with what CPJ left there. Not saying that Niumatalolo isn't a good coach, but it is alot easier when you have something good in place already.

swampsting
12-17-2008, 12:28 AM
PJ also (allegedly) got a $500K bonus for beating Notre Dame last year and ending Navy's losing streak of 40 some odd years.
For beating Georgia - and for one of the great comebacks in Tech history - open up the checkbook, D-Rad.

BuzzCzar
12-17-2008, 12:29 AM
IMO it actually helps the program to infer stability with a long term deal with your coach.

especially at Georgia Tech. Cant you just hear Spurrier and Richt telling the kids that "soon PJ will be gone to a big program and then what.."

so there are benefits on both sides for a long deal as well

TechSBP
12-17-2008, 12:45 AM
In my world, you rarely get more than 6% for doing what you were hired to do. Yeah there's occasional bumps and position promotions, but doing what you're supposed to do? Now, with that being said, I'm happy for him. If I was DRad, I think I would have waited to see how many season tickets get sold before I gave him more money. D-Rad, I would now like my 'seat licensing' fee refund.

So tell us, what profession are you in that gives you such insight into the negotiating strategies of top executives and their employer's retention strategies?

I hate the middle management mindset that many in our fanbase have.

theShaft
12-17-2008, 01:34 AM
So tell us, what profession are you in that gives you such insight into the negotiating strategies of top executives and their employer's retention strategies?

I hate the middle management mindset that many in our fanbase have.

I sell propane and propane accessories.

So by your reasoning I guess that's the excuse the govt. should give us new shareholders now that we're forced to invest in $700 Billion Bail Out for Wall Street and about to be, the Big 3.

Just shut your ****ing pie hole b/c us big politicians know how to run ****, and your an idiot, even though there's no educational requirement/experience to become an elected official that determine how I spend your hard earned money.

So b/c I'm not a big executive, I don't get a say so? I'm a tax payer and season ticket holder, I get a vote to voice my opinion on the bailout. With GT, I purchase tickets as my 'vote'. I didn't say it was a bad move, I said it was questionable.

Sorry for voicing my opinion that's obviously not appreciated by the almighty executives that patrol these boards. Guess we'll just have to see if we can finally sell out our stadium, I don't think that's going to happen.

gt7282c@prism
12-17-2008, 02:17 AM
...[political bailout rant that belongs in Off Topic]...

Dude. By your earlier post, you made it sound as if Coaches should get the same slightly higher than cost of living increase that us normal schlubs get. The arguement doesn't wash. And neither is a bonus offered to help retain akin to a bailout.

Compare it to the corporate world, where you have people like Bob Nardelli and Meg Whitman. If they get a proven track record, companies essentially compete to have them come in and lead. Hence they end up making what the market dictates they are worth. Coaches are the same way.

Sometimes CEO's don't live up to expectations and get bought out of their contract (QED: our previous coach). Sometimes CEO's end up sucking, yet get hired by otherwise good companies anyway (QED: Chizik to Auburn). But the bottom line is that at this level a 6%/yr yardstick is the wrong measuring tool.

JokerJacket
12-17-2008, 03:17 AM
He is a great OC as well as a head coach, and we don't have to pay for a top notch OC like Friedgen big bucks.

That in itself should be enough reason right there...

JackD
12-17-2008, 03:43 AM
Dude. By your earlier post, you made it sound as if Coaches should get the same slightly higher than cost of living increase that us normal schlubs get. The arguement doesn't wash. And neither is a bonus offered to help retain akin to a bailout.

Compare it to the corporate world, where you have people like Bob Nardelli and Meg Whitman. If they get a proven track record, companies essentially compete to have them come in and lead. Hence they end up making what the market dictates they are worth. Coaches are the same way.

Sometimes CEO's don't live up to expectations and get bought out of their contract (QED: our previous coach). Sometimes CEO's end up sucking, yet get hired by otherwise good companies anyway (QED: Chizik to Auburn). But the bottom line is that at this level a 6%/yr yardstick is the wrong measuring tool.

pretty sure he was referring to the "middle management mindset" comment

beej67
12-17-2008, 08:34 AM
In my world, you rarely get more than 6% for doing what you were hired to do.

In my world, if we hire someone on a limb and give them a much lower salary than they WERE OFFERED elsewhere, on the condition that they get a salary adjustment based on their performance, and then they VASTY OUTPERFORM our expectations, then they most definitely get a raise that is at a MINIMUM what they were offered to go elsewhere.

Yall do realize PJ left a HUGE sum of money on the table at SMU / Duke to come here, right? They were going to pay him over 2 million a year right out of the gate.

buzztheirazz
12-17-2008, 09:11 AM
he deserves it. end of story.
if pj got a hundred bucks for every time a tech fan has replayed that uga game he'd be sittin' pretty. i've watched it at least 5 times.

SMoney
12-17-2008, 09:14 AM
In my world, if we hire someone on a limb and give them a much lower salary than they WERE OFFERED elsewhere, on the condition that they get a salary adjustment based on their performance, and then they VASTY OUTPERFORM our expectations, then they most definitely get a raise that is at a MINIMUM what they were offered to go elsewhere.

Beej is correct in this. If you hire someone that is below the market rate, and they become one of your top performers, they will make more than the 6% increase per year - especially once you get to the executive level. If you are the face of an organization, and you are responsible for that organization doing well (in business, $$$ to the shareholders; in college football, wins), then you need to at a minimum get that person to the market level, but depending on your performance, more than likely closer to the 75th percentile. Sometimes this happens over one year, sometimes over several. Personally, I would see him getting to slightly above average right now, and then if (when) he continues to perform at a high level, going higher.

This is an over-simplified example, as there are far too many things that go into it to describe in a short post.

Oh yeah, I do executive compensation...

floridajacket
12-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Whatever CPJ's salary increase is, I'm sure the GTAA will see increases in ticket sales, merchandise and donations which will surpass it, especially if he keeps his upward trajectory like he should.

Weis was a complete failure by any yardstick imaginable. He could only do two things, recruit and coach talent which already had football fundamentals down. I imagine him as some guy who thinks of something that works and draws a play up like he's playing Madden. That's fine for the pros and for veteran offenses, like his first two years, but even blue-chip recruits need coaching on the fundamentals when they get to college.

Anyway, PJ does not look to be any of those things. The big question was could his offense work against BCS defenses and that question has certainly been answered. And he certainly could coach new recruits in his offense down the line. The only question that could possibly remain is whether he can recruit, in case we end up with a Ralph Friedgen. Well, he did a great job at GSU in recruiting and so far things are looking pretty good from that perspective, although not quite as good yet as Nesbitt and Dwyer's class.

beej67
12-17-2008, 10:17 AM
I'm not even sure Weiss can recruit. Have you seen Jimmy Clausen play? He's worse than any ACC QB right now. He just reaps the "stars" from the recruiting services, because lots of Notre Dame fans subscribe to those recruiting services, and they give extra credit to any player which comes to Notre Dame.

ncjacket
12-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Wow, lots of really naive comments on here. Hiring and retaining a football coach has little to do with corporate decision making guys. it's a performance driven, high celebrity, high pressure job with a vast amount of information in the market about salaries, bonuses, etc. Trying to relate this to your business, whatever your business is, is a ridiculous exercise.

ncjacket
12-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Hey, don't get me wrong, I love the guy. I think what he's doing is awesome. I just don't think that he deserves a raise for doing what we hired him to do.
Just wait a little bit and see, that's all I'm saying.
EXhibit #1 in the naive post category. Sounds rational on some levels, but completely ignores the realities of the marekt.

Ish
12-17-2008, 10:34 AM
There's a whole lot of arguing in this thread over something pretty trivial. The fact is other teams were willing to pay CPJ a lot of money, and we needed to step it up. How is this an issue?

beej67
12-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Wow, lots of really naive comments on here. Hiring and retaining a football coach has little to do with corporate decision making guys. it's a performance driven, high celebrity, high pressure job with a vast amount of information in the market about salaries, bonuses, etc. Trying to relate this to your business, whatever your business is, is a ridiculous exercise.

My point is if you actually do take the time to relate it to your business in more detail, regardless of what your business is, then the good business decision is to give the guy an extension and a raise. Just like we're doing.

gt7282c@prism
12-17-2008, 10:57 AM
I'm not even sure Weiss can recruit. Have you seen Jimmy Clausen play? He's worse than any ACC QB right now. He just reaps the "stars" from the recruiting services, because lots of Notre Dame fans subscribe to those recruiting services, and they give extra credit to any player which comes to Notre Dame.

Weiss is one of those bumblers that landed bass-ackward into a sweet gig. ND draws in recruits based on their historical reputation, and they can pretty much scrape together a winning season (albiet, mediocre) just by sheer talent.

The question is whether or not recruiting has improved or worsened under his tenure. I'm not going to bother looking it up, but my guess is that it wouldn't be too difficult for a statitician to measure. My guess is that he's in the red.

ncjacket
12-17-2008, 12:52 PM
My point is if you actually do take the time to relate it to your business in more detail, regardless of what your business is, then the good business decision is to give the guy an extension and a raise. Just like we're doing.
i know, but i wasn't really talking about you're posts.

beej67
12-17-2008, 12:59 PM
i know, but i wasn't really talking about you're posts.

I think we're taking opposite approaches to supporting the same argument. :)

JacketDan
12-17-2008, 01:01 PM

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

ncjacket
12-17-2008, 06:28 PM
So we got 'em surrounded.:biggthumpup:

BarrelORum
12-17-2008, 08:08 PM
So we got 'em surrounded.:biggthumpup:

Great, a beej and ncjacket sandwich. I'm smothered in smugness.

GTKyle
12-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Barrel of Retard

BarrelORum
12-17-2008, 08:19 PM
GTKyle on fifth grade humor:

Barrel of Retard

:noob:

GiveEmHellJackets
12-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Paul Johnson, who was already a proven winner, agreed to come and coach at Georgia Tech even though he was offered more money by other schools, including Duke and SMU. Then, for anyone who doubted whether he could make it in a BCS league, he almost won the conference in his first season, won 9 or 10 games, broke our losing streak against UGA the year UGA was ranked #1 in the preseason and went 6-2 in the SEC, had a team that produced 400+ rushing yards against Miami and Georgia, and won or competed for various Coach of the Year honors, all in a season in which many experts predicted we would not be bowl eligible. On top of all that, he's very charismatic, very quotable, very enjoyable and likable, is the mastermind and playcaller of his offense, and is a great representative of Georgia Tech.

And now, people around here are upset because Tech wants to pay him what he has proven he can get in the market. They compare him to a cubicled employee of some mega-office and dismiss his success by saying "he's just doing his job" and they suggest that he'd be a bad person for even considering accepting employment from someone willing to pay his market value.

What am I missing?

I'm going to go watch the 3rd quarter again. I wonder who out there could've come back from 28-12 on a day where Stafford and Massaquoi were playing like Steve Young and Jerry Rice. I wonder if anyone else on Planet Earth could have, with this team of ours, after one year of teaching them a new offense (not to mention defense).

"Well," some idiot is thinking, "he's just doing his job."

Rodzilla
12-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Just shut your ****ing pie hole b/c us big politicians know how to run ****, and your an idiot, even though there's no educational requirement/experience to become an elected official that determine how I spend your hard earned money.

You lose the thread.

BEEFENSE
12-18-2008, 12:36 AM
We are truly blessed with CPJ (what a diff. a year makes)--I believe we are on the cusp of a legacy to equal Coach Dodd(maybe not in longevity but in magnitude)--I am really going to enjoy the ride--get ready for another NC team--SOON!!