PDA

View Full Version : Clemson hires Dabo

gt23eric
11-30-2008, 09:14 PM
Not a good hire if you ask me. What do you guys think?

The Jacket
11-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Four more wins for us across four years. Works.

The V
11-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Just one more victory for GT over the next few years.

77GTFan
11-30-2008, 09:24 PM
I don't see how that is a good hire for them. It continues much of the same Bowden staff. Perhaps he will be successful, but I think they could have made a better hire.

JoltinJacket
11-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Excellent hire from our standpoint. Bowden -> Dabo is a lateral move at best.

signalmtnjacket
11-30-2008, 09:25 PM
He is very Richt-ish in that he loves to play 18-year-old psychologist. He loves to pull the ööööööös to get everybody fired up.

That could get old quick if he doesn't win.

jacket67
11-30-2008, 09:26 PM
Time will tell. Seems like a very risky move, since he doesn't have much of a track record as a head coach. I did not expect him to get the job without a thorough effort to bring in a prime candidate, but maybe they have already made calls and didn't get much interest from their best prospects. If he gets 3-5 years to grow into the job, he might turn out fine. In the mean time they will save a lot of money. Obviously, when you compare this hire to Tech bringing in Paul Johnson, I don't think you can view the Clemson AD in the same class as Radakovich.

gt23eric
11-30-2008, 09:28 PM
D rad is a great AD.

PerfectOption
11-30-2008, 09:29 PM
Dabo hire is like West Virginia hire...Clemson will go to the Toilet Bowl every year.

RamblinWreck09
11-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Dabo hire is like West Virginia hire...Clemson will go to the Toilet Bowl every year.

+1

gojkts
11-30-2008, 09:36 PM
clempson just bought themselves a few more years of mediocrity.

Rodzilla
11-30-2008, 09:40 PM
DRad::Clemson's AD as
Tech::U[sic]GA

GTYellowJacket12
11-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Seems like an Orgeron type hire, a guy with lots of intensity but one who lacks the tactical knowledge (X's and O's) required to deliver. Clemson like TAMU and UCLA are programs who have all that's needed (great fans, excellent recruiting base, great facilities, budget, etc) to be top tier programs except coaching, guess time will tell on this hire.

alpha
11-30-2008, 10:23 PM
I read in an article when Bowden resigned that Swinney is a great recruiter. I've never heard of him before that but sounds like he's been around football long enough under decent coaches to understand the game.

I would be surprised if it was a long-term contract though.

ArkyTech
11-30-2008, 10:26 PM
So let me get this straight. In the past year, both GT and Clempson have had coaching vacancies. GT hired Paul Johnson, while Clempson hired Dabo Swinney? :roflmao:

wesleyd21
11-30-2008, 10:33 PM
For some strange reason, this situation reminds me of Dave Chapelle's skit, "WHEN KEEPING IT REAL GOES WRONG".

GTwreck
11-30-2008, 10:45 PM
This is usually not a good move and I do not think it is good for Clemson. I doubt this works out well for them.

GTDad
11-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Wow, this seems like a "settle" to me.

With all the resources Clemson has, the BEST they could do was Swinney? I'm not buying it.

I can't see this working out well for them.

Lay em down & smackem Jackets
11-30-2008, 11:01 PM
I was certain that Bobby Johnson was going to leave Vandy for Clemson. Especially considering the drop-off Vandy had since the middle of the season. This drop-off seemed like it was caused by a distracted coach.

sthorfinnr
11-30-2008, 11:02 PM
The Tech and Clemson hires are polar opposites. By hiring Paul Johnson, Tech sent a message that we were putting coaching first. Clemson has just sent the message that they are putting recruiting first. Clemson will continue to put a lot of guys in the NFL because of Dabo and his personality. However, they will not win the number of games their great recruiting classes will cause them to believe them to win. They will continue to scratch their heads as to why they have such awesome athletes as CJ Spiller, Jacoby Ford, etc. and yet still lose to a guy like Paul Johnson who (hate to say it) will probably not bring in as highly rated of a recruits. Personally, I'd rather win football games.

gt7282c@prism
11-30-2008, 11:20 PM
Meh...

This season they were 3-3 under Bowden, but 4-2 under Swinney. Maybe they feel that with the +1 game improvement, Dabo has earned the spot.
:dunno:

More importantly, does Dabo have a hawt daughter?

rghoae
12-01-2008, 12:02 AM
I think this hire once again underscores D-Rad's genius. There were very strong sentiments for hiring Tenuta. He stuck to his guns, ran an ABSOLUTELY PROFESSIONAL coaching search, and made an extremely bold, yet logical hire.

Fortunately, its paying off on the field too.

demjackets
12-01-2008, 01:05 AM
I don't think it was the right move for Clemson, they could have done much better. This won't take them to the next level like they are hoping.

Allen Koholic
12-01-2008, 07:42 AM
I don't think it was the right move for Clemson, they could have done much better. This won't take them to the next level like they are hoping.I think this is the right move then.

If Dabo can get some good, tactical Coordinators in, then it might be a good hire, but I think this is a reaction to their inability to hire the guys they wanted. Guess those pockets aren't as deep as they'd like to think...

gnats67
12-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Bet he came cheap.

From what I understand he's popular over there. Enthusiasm, time for change, etc, etc..We'll just have to wait and see.

I ain't skeert none.

GTplusCPJequalsSuccess
12-01-2008, 12:32 PM
This is not a good hire IMO. He still lost to GT, the same staff will still be there, and he looks like a flat out idiot out on the field, now I understand being fired up, but this guy looks looney.

gt7282c@prism
12-03-2008, 01:41 AM
Courtesy HD:

Clemson defensive coordinator Vic Koenning resigned Tuesday, one day after the Tigers officially hired Dabo Swinney as head coach.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3740457

Ouch!!!
Here's a sobering thought. Suppose U[sic]... nah, let's not go there.

JoltinJacket
12-03-2008, 05:05 AM
I ain't skeert none.

Oh come on. You can't tell me that this cat doesn't strike fear in your heart...

http://3rdsaturdayinblogtober.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/dabo.jpg

http://media.wjbf.com/img-story/images/uploads/081014_swinneypresser.jpg

1gtfan
12-03-2008, 07:28 AM
I don't think it was the right move for Clemson, they could have done much better. This won't take them to the next level like they are hoping.

Agree TOTALLY...They could have gotten Fulmer and he sounded like he wanted it too in a recent interview. He didn't mention Clemson by name, but it was obvious in the interview he was talking about Clemson as that one special place that he would be a good fit at.