PDA

View Full Version : Practice Report

vrjacket
07-30-2008, 06:22 PM
I just spent a couple of hours at practice. Left early to head to Nuevo Laredo.

Got a good look at who was running 1st team D. It was MJ, DRich, Vance, Derrick on the line. At linebacker it was Barnes, Brad, and Kyle. In the secondary it was Jahi, Morgan, Dominique, and Mario.

MJ looked like a freak of course and Derrick is almost as big as the guys playing inside :wow:.

Other notes on the defense: I hope Mario Edwards gets to play this fall. He was huge I was like who is this #46 guy he is big. Tarrant was there but not dressed out.

On offense, I watched some 7 v 7.

Nesbitt has a great arm and a good commanding voice underneath center. He threw a great deep ball right out of Melton's reach (I really think he could of caught it he was just surprised to see it put there.)

Calvin of course has a good arm as well, making several throws, mobility is the issue with him I would guess.

Jaybo has a really nice arm as well. He made one particularly good throw on what looked like a slant. This elicited a big reaction from the observing players and plenty of high 5s.

Tevin and Bryce looked good as well with Bryce appearing to have a pretty good arm but Tevin throwing a few floaters.

There was a LOT of coaching being done on the defense. I watched Wommack drill the safeties and BJ with the 'backers for a good bit.

Bohannon had the B's and the QB's working on exchanges. The O did a lot of updowns which seemed to be sparked by any fumble.

Marcus is short but FAST! Saw him make a nice snag on 7v7s.

Well thats my quick report. I hope someone else will add more!

Jacket59
07-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Thank you Sir! You are both a scholar and a gentleman, and a friend of virtual jackets everywhere.

odw
07-30-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks a ton. We're all dying for any piece of football we can get our hands on. Very nice report.

odw
07-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Anyone know the official word on Tarrant? Are we still in wait and see more? Either way, good to see him supporting the team while going through a tough tim.

Wreck02
07-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Anyone else want to chime in on the practice??? PLEASE???? I'm dying here!!!

Essobee
07-30-2008, 07:35 PM
Got a good look at who was running 1st team D. It was MJ, DRich, Vance, Derrick on the line.

In the early sixties, we had a line that earned the nickname, "The Magnificent Seven." I predict that this year's D line will be known as "The Fantastic Four."

Ish
07-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Who is Mario Edwards?

BarrelORum
07-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Mario Edwards is a safety who transfered from VT to GT. He was cleared by the NCAA to play this year.

I don't know if Edwards was in the starting secondary or was it Mario Butler. Can someone confirm?

The Jacket
07-30-2008, 08:38 PM
I'm about to read the report, but I just figured I'd go ahead and say that having delivered beer to Nuevo Laredo for months and seeing that "kitchen" and what goes on - you couldn't pay me to eat there.

gt23eric
07-30-2008, 08:38 PM
Mario hasnt been cleared yet by the NCAA. Mario was first team

The Jacket
07-30-2008, 08:41 PM
How many fumbles were there?

ncjacket
07-30-2008, 09:30 PM
My understanding is that he's been cleared by the NCAA and now has to be cleared by the ACC.

GTKyle
07-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Holy crap Nuevo Laredo is amazing. Best mexican place in town.

The Jacket
07-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Holy crap Nuevo Laredo is amazing. Best mexican place in town.
Yeah, if you like garbage can germs in your fajitas.

Anyone know about the fumbles?

Allen Koholic
07-30-2008, 09:50 PM
Holy crap Nuevo Laredo is amazing. Best mexican place in town.Is Cheech and Chang's still around?

Sadly, I know only about offensively stereotypical restaurants, nothing of fumbles.

The Jacket
07-30-2008, 09:54 PM
I Need To Know About Whether Or Not We Can Hold On To The God Damned Ball

edit: I guess I can't speak in all caps.

cyptomcat
07-30-2008, 09:57 PM
you should wait for them to have some practice then, they are going to fumble now more than they are going to later.

GTman
07-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Anyone else want to chime in on the practice??? PLEASE???? I'm dying here!!!

I was at practice today and I thought it was a decent practice. It was very HOT and I will cut the qbs and running backs some slack just for this once.

In the beginning of practice each units were going through drills. There was some comotion in the far corner from the OL getting after it and that pumped me up.

The QBs were clearly the main focus of the crowd on hand and more importantly paul johnson as he did not take his eyes off of them the entire practice. If he wasn't standing behind them he was at midfield with his eyes glued in that direction.

The only bad spot of the practice was when the QBs and Backs were working on reads and pitches . This was awful. Whenever anyone would fumble, whether it be a muffed hand off or a dropped pitch the entire unit of Backs and QBs had to do up downs. This took all the focus of the practice because they stopped the drill and and did up downs close to ten times!:mad:

I mean I hate to sound so negative on this point but this worries me. This drill was being ran with no OL and no DL, no pads, no loud stadium. This has got to chane if we hope to beat anybody this year.

Having said that JAYBO SHAW was the QB who ran the option clearly better than Nesbitt. He is more fluent and knows his his reads.

Nesbitt and Jaybo both put the ball on the money all day long in passing routes. Any route the receiver ran the ball was delivered on time in the right spot by both QBs.

That was the bright spot for the QBs (the passing game)

Running Backs are FAST!!!! Every single one of them. If they can catch the pitches they will surely turn the corner for big gains.
Marcus Wright is Very Fast!!!!
Dwyer looked solid and stout of course!!
I was very suprised at Anythony Allens size. He is a beast. Cant wait to see him play.

Defense
Our DL is very solid. MJ is a freak. Derrick Morgan is bigger than I thought and look for big things.

Our linbackers are young and thin. We have our starters in my opinion and that is it.

I was Very pleased with the secondary in the 7 & 7 drill. I think that we have a lot of talent roaming around back there. They are young but with MB leading the way they will not be short on talent.

Sorry so long just got to typing and couldnt stop.

Gordo1
07-30-2008, 10:06 PM
Nice write-up. Can't wait to see DM go all out with MJ getting so much attention on his side...

76tornados
07-30-2008, 10:11 PM
There is almost a month of practice left, so hopefully the pitches and reads will improve. I could really see Shaw get a lot of snaps if turnovers become a problem early. I really hope Nesbitt gets fluid though as he seems to be the guy the PJ wants to run it.

GTland03
07-30-2008, 10:36 PM

WHICH mario was on first team??? We have to use last names here.

BarrelORum
07-30-2008, 10:38 PM
The only bad spot of the practice was when the QBs and Backs were working on reads and pitches . This was awful. Whenever anyone would fumble, whether it be a muffed hand off or a dropped pitch the entire unit of Backs and QBs had to do up downs. This took all the focus of the practice because they stopped the drill and and did up downs close to ten times!:mad:

I mean I hate to sound so negative on this point but this worries me. This drill was being ran with no OL and no DL, no pads, no loud stadium. This has got to chane if we hope to beat anybody this year.

Are you kidding me? You think this is a bad exercise? Ever play football in your life?

BarrelORum
07-30-2008, 10:39 PM

Yes, he was. He is now waiting on clearance from the ACC.

vrjacket
07-30-2008, 11:17 PM
WHICH mario was on first team??? We have to use last names here.

yeah i realized later the confusion i created. mario butler was starting at corner with jahi. mario edwards was very impressive size-wise. only willie and cooper are taller but mario appeared the most impressive body in terms of height and build. morgan also looks to have put on some weight from last year.

GTKyle
07-30-2008, 11:28 PM
gtman, vrjacket thanks for the reviews. Please abandon the hive and make stingtalk your home, thanks.

Also, vr, we need a restaurant report. How was laredo?

haywire83
07-31-2008, 12:18 AM

This is a repetition offense. Give it time; I expect we'll be a little shaky to start the season, but it will be much more polished than it was today. Keep in mind Nesbitt has still had <10 practices in the new offense.

It won't take many days of up downs on every muff/fumble to get the problem straightened out. And if it continues to be a problem, CPJ won't hesitate to play someone else.

buzztheirazz
07-31-2008, 12:18 AM
Cheech and Chang's
Delivery mexican and chinese!!:laugher: What a great combination!

I remember getting tacos and the meat was in a plastic ramikan(sp?) and you had to put it together yourself. It was awful!

btw--the steak tampiquena or tampiquena steak at NL is the best mexican food i've eaten in atlanta

haywire83
07-31-2008, 12:26 AM
Nuevo Laredo always has good food, though I don't go often. I'm partial to Jalisco in the P'tree Battle shopping center. The food is excellent, service is good, and they have sweet tea (NL doesn't, or at least didn't used to). Sweet tea is a must for Mexican.

BuzzCzar
07-31-2008, 12:53 AM
Is Cheech and Chang's still around?

i really think it's Chico and Chang's, and i think somewhere there still is one

RamblinPeck
07-31-2008, 12:59 AM
yep, there is, on ponce, saw it today on the way to lowes in edgewood.

Speaking of which, if anyone wants to help me put up crown molding in our kitchen and maybe learn some new swear words Ill be up all night :laugher:

Pantone874
07-31-2008, 04:25 AM
3 words (in Spanish):

Taqueria del Sol

GTman
07-31-2008, 07:35 AM
Are you kidding me? You think this is a bad exercise? Ever play football in your life?

No I said we were bad at the drill! I did not say that the drill was bad. The point was that we are struggling with reads and pitches.

Get a clue

beej67
07-31-2008, 07:44 AM
I'm with GTman there, BoR, that's how I read his post too.

Try the decaf.

ncjacket
07-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Either way, IT'S THE FIRST FREAKING DAY OF PRACTICE.

BuzzMD
07-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Nice article in macon.com regarding first day of practice.

http://www.macon.com/169/story/418898.html

On Wednesday afternoon, however, with his first session of preseason practices fully completed, a more energetic and smiling Johnson strolled off the practice field, optimistically noting some improvement out of his young team.

vrjacket
07-31-2008, 10:58 AM
Threadjacking is ok if its my own right?
Nuevo Laredo is by far the best Mexican food in the area. I had fajitas barbacoa, but my dad got brisket barbacoa. His dish was better, and is probably what I'll be getting from now on. It is a house special for which they are famous.
Their salsa is easily better than ANY other place. Tomato paste-esque is the norm but with NL you can taste and see cilantro, onions, tomatoes etc.
Taqueria del Sol is good but you should not compare it to NL since it is a different style of resataurant. You order standing up and they are pretty much only about the tacos. Each is good in its own right but I think we all know which has been voted #1 since 1993 and it ain't T de Sol.

beej67
07-31-2008, 11:04 AM
"There's some carry-over (from the spring)," Johnson said. "The guys that were out here this spring at least know how to line up. We probably tried to do too much (Wednesday) in all honesty, because you've got freshmen, and they're like drinking from a firehose.

HA!

BuzzCzar
07-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Threadjacking is ok if its my own right?
Nuevo Laredo is by far the best Mexican food in the area. I had fajitas barbacoa, but my dad got brisket barbacoa. His dish was better, and is probably what I'll be getting from now on. It is a house special for which they are famous.
Their salsa is easily better than ANY other place. Tomato paste-esque is the norm but with NL you can taste and see cilantro, onions, tomatoes etc.
Taqueria del Sol is good but you should not compare it to NL since it is a different style of resataurant. You order standing up and they are pretty much only about the tacos. Each is good in its own right but I think we all know which has been voted #1 since 1993 and it ain't T de Sol.

your idea of Mexican food must not really be Mexican food, because if you think Nuevo Laredo even comes close to touching Zocalo in terms of good Mexican food, then you dont really know what Mexican food is. Laredo might have the best Texican food, but Zocalo (granted more expensive) is about 100x better in quality, atmosphere and authenticity

y yo puedo decir esto con certitude!

vrjacket
07-31-2008, 11:42 AM
your idea of Mexican food must not really be Mexican food, because if you think Nuevo Laredo even comes close to touching Zocalo in terms of good Mexican food, then you dont really know what Mexican food is. Laredo might have the best Texican food, but Zocalo (granted more expensive) is about 100x better in quality, atmosphere and authenticity

Lo malo es que, looks like I really touched a chord with the Czar. Lets be clear about a couple of things: 1. its Tex-Mex not Texican 2. Most people think Nuevo Laredo is better. You know how I know thats true? It always gets voted as the best, and I can say this with certainty.
Nuevo Laredo is a city just across the border from Texas so it makes since that a restaurant so-named would have authentic mexican and and texas flavors and dishes. That's why they serve dishes like brisket. As for Zocalo's being better in quality and authenticity...100x better? What do they have no running water and charge you in pesos? You can't have authentic mexican conditions and food and have quality, just look at the country.

The Jacket
07-31-2008, 11:46 AM
My best friend is taking me to some place named Friends on Ponce this Friday night. Said he has a surprise for me.

Is that a bar?

Ish
07-31-2008, 12:01 PM

Gotta agree with Buzz on this one. Zocalo is amazing.

BarrelORum
07-31-2008, 12:07 PM
No I said we were bad at the drill! I did not say that the drill was bad. The point was that we are struggling with reads and pitches.

Get a clue

Sorry, I thought you meant that the up downs were getting in the way of practice and you were worried we were tiring our guys out. My bad.

beej67
07-31-2008, 12:20 PM
My best friend is taking me to some place named Friends on Ponce this Friday night. Said he has a surprise for me.

Is that a bar?

Sounds fishy to me.

Is your friend a poof?

GTMensLax&SoccerD1Soon!
07-31-2008, 12:29 PM

Is that a bar?

Just make sure you take a tazer or at least a can of mase...

GTMensLax&SoccerD1Soon!
07-31-2008, 12:31 PM
Gotta agree with Buzz on this one. Zocalo is amazing.

Im partial to Taco Bell. Their spicy chicken burritos are out of this world. Plus you know it has to be the best when there are more mexicans at Taco Bell than any other place in town! Except for home depot, but we all know Home Depot does not serve food...

GTman
07-31-2008, 03:04 PM
[quote=GTKyle;236693]gtman, vrjacket thanks for the reviews. Please abandon the hive and make stingtalk your home, thanks.

I read the hive but do not post there. I have seen another GTman (Like GTman77 or something) on the hive but that is not me. I should probably change it but whatever I guess if I only post here it does not matter

Pantone874
08-02-2008, 12:03 AM
Im partial to Taco Bell. Their spicy chicken burritos are out of this world.

No joke, the Cheesy Gordita Crunch may be my favorite food item in the world...