PDA

View Full Version : Tech Beats Cavs 92-82/OT

ASimPerson
01-27-2008, 08:07 PM
I swear ACC Basketball is going to be the death of me.

Tech did a wonderful job of keeping Singletary out of this game and also did a good job of not letting them pull away in the second half.

Jackets are now 10-9 and 3-3 in the ACC. We have a long week this week as our next game is Saturday against Maryland (12:00 PM EST, ESPN2). I realize all our games are must-wins, but we have 3 straight road games after that, so we need to find a way to take the Terps.

Some stats:
Welcome back Lewis Clinch. 14 points, 4-6 from 3.
Semi-shoutout to Gani Lawal with 15 points and 6 rebounds, and 2 blocks. Why semi? 5-12 free throws.
Overall, the team shot 50% from the field and 40% from 3, not bad. UVA was 37% and 33%, respectively. All the UVA starters did not do well from the field, most notably Singletary who was 5-19.

RamblinPeck
01-27-2008, 08:12 PM
Great road win, Mr Causey was on fire the 2nd half. The guy has really ignited the team and everyone seems to play harder when the scrappy white boy is doing well.

I think we're looking like a tournament team, and I hope they keep playing hard and pulling out wins.

beej67
01-27-2008, 08:15 PM
The problem is that we can't make the tourney with a loss to UNCG.

The question is whether we can win the ACCT. I suppose anything's possible..

GTROY
01-27-2008, 08:17 PM

We made it after a loss to UIC a couple of years ago. The bigger problem is our record. Even if we go on a tear, it's gonna be tough to get in at 17-13 or 18-12. Even with that, we'd need a very strong showing in the tournament.

vadimivich
01-27-2008, 08:19 PM

Yes, we most certainly can.

I'm not saying it's likely, but if we win 18 games we'll be a very strong candidate for the NCAA's. We need to win a few more games before we start talking about that too much though.

ASimPerson
01-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Ignoring the UConn game, 18 regular season wins would put us 11-5 in the ACC. I think that would get us in. :)

As Vad said, that is still very far away.

We would need a lot help if we have a 7-9 to 9-7 conference mark, IMHO.

lonestarjacket
01-27-2008, 08:38 PM

That's not true at all. That was one game.

We may have to do a little better than we would have without that loss, but the ACC offers excellent opportunities to erase the effects of that loss.

We are now in the middle of the ACC pack. If we finish in the top third in the regular season I am pretty sure it would put us in the field.

I am not saying I predict anything of the sort or would bet on it. But it is nice to be in the pack rather than trailing the pack for the time being.

nedleeds
01-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Making the tourney would be a tough feat at this point. Though beating UConvict actually becomes a quality win now as they are playing much better. It'll be tough to keep the 3rd or 4th place ACC team out of the tourney, especially with a couple of wins in the ACC tourney.

The F$U and Miami games probably hurt us worse then the embarrassment at the hands of UNCG.

JOJATEC#1
01-27-2008, 09:26 PM
NCAA sel comm will look mostly at how you finished, not poor starts. We need Vandy, Winthrop, ND,UNCC, & IND to keep winning. Also, look at some of the other ACC teams embarrasing losses:

American U
Bob Morris U
ASU

1865Jacket
01-27-2008, 09:46 PM
We certainly are not out of anything. 9-7 w/ a win over Uconn would put us all but in w/ 17 wins. That being said, if we don't keep up the intensity and the type of play we've seen the last 4 games, we won't have to worry about any post season. I think and hope this team has turned the corner, but this is very guarded optimism at this point.

GTfanNBama
01-27-2008, 10:00 PM
We made it after a loss to UIC a couple of years ago. The bigger problem is our record. Even if we go on a tear, it's gonna be tough to get in at 17-13 or 18-12. Even with that, we'd need a very strong showing in the tournament.

no we didn't

Ish
01-27-2008, 10:56 PM
UNC won the National Championship the year they lost to Santa Clara. Bad early losses don't kill your chances.

GTPilot
01-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Great win and continued improvement by this team. The nice part is that we are hitting our stride a little early this year which hopefully will continue. The guard play has improved dramatically and has been the key to the teams improvement along with a serious step up on the defensive end. Nice job by everyone with Causey, Bell & Clinch all playing vital roles today. Also, congrats to Smith on, at least for now, improving his FT in ACC play. Need him to work with Gani now.

I did say a couple of weeks ago that this team had all the earmarks of the team 2 years ago coming into the season but I was wrong on a critical point. We actually have 2 guys who can play point this year (albeit with needed improvement from the beginning of the season) and that team 2 years ago never really had a point guard.

Keep it up fellas and congrats to the coaches for getting these guys to come together.

GT1992
01-28-2008, 12:43 AM
We went to the Sweet Sixteen when we lost to Mount St. Mary's in Marbury's year.

beej67
01-28-2008, 08:20 AM
We also won the ACC tourney that year. :P

How is Mo? Any word on his injury? I don't think Causey can play 40 mins/game.

1865Jacket
01-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Actually we lost to WF in the ACC tourney that year. We won the Regular Season ACC. I'm interested to hear something on Mo too, don't know if the silence means it's not a big deal, or they're waiting on MRI or something.

ContactBuzz
01-28-2008, 10:12 AM
UNC won the National Championship the year they lost to Santa Clara. Bad early losses don't kill your chances.

They were missing 2 starters in that game, including Ray Felton.

ContactBuzz
01-28-2008, 10:16 AM
We also won the ACC tourney that year. :P

How is Mo? Any word on his injury? I don't think Causey can play 40 mins/game.

I'd guess that Mo is out 2 weeks (it didn't look like a high ankle sprain) so the timing isn't terrible.

And I agree, Hewitt was maximizing Causey's potential in his rotation with Miller. I don't think he can maintain the same level of productivity over more minutes - and I also don't think Hewitt and the team can cover up for him defensively over more minutes.

GoldenSwarm
01-28-2008, 10:35 AM
I live in D.C. and drove down for the game with a fellow Tech buddy. Purchased tickets on Ebay from a UVA season ticket holder. Face value was $30 and got them for $15 each.

Their new gym is very nice. It was completely full, but it was amazing how docile their crowd was. Except for the student section, the rest of the crowd sat on their hands. Not much of an atmosphere. Even had an old man sitting four rows behind me yelling at me to sit down during timeouts because I guess I was blocking his view of an empty court while TV was in a commerical (I am not joking).

Did they show the laser show player intro on TV? It was a bit cliche, trying to capture the intro feel of the Jordon era Chicago Bulls. It was an example of trying too hard.

Definitely a tale of two halfs. First half was very frustrating. I thought for a while there that we going to lose by 15 or 20. When Causey shows up, we are a good basketball team. Just goes to show you how the point guard in basketball can be like the QB in football, setting the tempo. It is frustrating to think how we might be this year with Crittendon still at the point.

Time to build on the three in a row. We can take Maryland at home!

beej67
01-28-2008, 10:51 AM
I think the tale of two halves was "First Half, UVA hits 3 point shots they've got no business hitting," then "Second Half, the odds on UVA's 3s finally start working out like they're supposed to."

Other than that, I felt we played about the same both halves, and I think the stats probably bear that out.

nedleeds
01-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Causey can hang with one of Marylands guards who looked like a deer in headlights last night against Dook but I don't think he can hang with Vasquez ... need to sick Bell or Morrow on him. Vasquez is a good passer when doubled. It's going to be a brawl down low with Osby and Smith/Peacock.

ContactBuzz
01-28-2008, 11:19 AM
. It's going to be a brawl down low with Osby and Smith/Peacock.

Good call - that's going to be fun to watch. Those are all some tough mofos.

ASimPerson
01-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Other than that, I felt we played about the same both halves, and I think the stats probably bear that out.

Well, from a very general look at the stats, the scoring breakdown was:

GT 38 38 16
UVA 48 28 6

So your feelings seem right.

TampaJacket
01-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Good call - that's going to be fun to watch. Those are all some tough mofos.

I'll third that observation -- there will great battles down low against MD. Osby is a beast. Reminds me of Ben Wallace complete with out of control hair. :)