PDA

View Full Version : How to Neutralize an Athletically Superior Team by Paul Hewitt

kirbee
12-03-2007, 11:45 AM
How to Neutralize an Athletically Superior Team by Paul Hewitt

Hello basketball fans! Welcome to another special on basketball coaching techniques by Georgia Tech basketball coach, Paul Hewitt. This is a special edition that follows the previously wildly successful editions, including “How To Qualify for the NCAA Tourney With Three NBA Players” and “Inbounds Plays For Dummies.”

Today we will be talking about a subject near and dear to my heart. Basketball is a sport that requires both athleticism and skill. Here at Georgia Tech we like to recruit superior athletes and then coach up the skill set through hours of individual instruction. This approach produces results on the court that can be quite unbelievable at times. There is synergy that develops from superior athletes having been trained in their skill when they come together on the court. You’ve often seen teams that have “great chemistry” or are “more than the sum of their parts.” I promise if you use my techniques you will be surprised.

First we will start with defense, where I believe it all begins. The first thing you want to do is find your tallest player and put him on the point in a full court press. His size and length should create a natural mismatch for the smaller and quicker ball handler. You will be surprised how often this technique leads to easy buckets!

Second you want to force your team to play hard in the half court. This means playing aggressive and physical. Have defenders alternately sag away from their man off the ball and then run out on the ball when it swings around. Only highly skilled teams that utilize skip passes and penetration will be unfazed by this style. If an opponent is still able to break down the defense and get to the goal you should foul and foul hard. That will teach the other team who is stronger and more athletic. Don’t worry, they won’t fight you. The message has been sent, you’re athletically superior.

Offense is all about explosiveness. Athletic players can use natural abilities to create scoring opportunities. Skilled players find it fun to use their skill to help the athletes showcase their abilities. This is win/win. The best way to do this is the alley-oop dunk. The best part is that this can be and should be implemented at any time! Running the fast break to the free throw line and stopping is passe. Just throw the ball up to the rim whenever an athlete runs to the goal, no matter the angle or distance. Your opponent will not be expecting this bold move. The more spectacular, the better. You want the results to astound and demoralize your athletically inferior opponents! If it doesn’t work, put a new player in the game immediately. You cannot tolerate players that fail to grasp simple instruction.

The best technique I’ve found to exploit athletes is your offensive motion. I’ve found less is always more. You don’t want to expend energy cutting or screening or moving together. (Besides who has time to work together when you’ve been working on your skills individually?) The best plan is to use simple handoffs as far from the goal as possible. Then let the athletes figure it out. They’re superior and their skills are polished! Who can stop that foolproof plan?!? Furthermore, if you have an unselfish team you will love the way the rest of the team enjoys watching their teammates handle the ball on the offensive end, showcasing their athleticism and skill. That is the epitome of unselfishness and a sign of a good basketball team!

That's all for now. See you next time fans! Next time we will discuss "Assistant Coaches: Do they really matter?"

beej67
12-03-2007, 12:22 PM
This is classic.

Bravo, well done.

grgt96
12-03-2007, 12:32 PM
Well done. Can we publish this somewhere?
:biggthumpup:

GTYellowJacket12
12-03-2007, 12:41 PM
This is hillarious (and could possibly get me fired), great post....:laugher::bowdown:

Vespidie
12-03-2007, 01:35 PM
GT Basketball for Dummies!

Flows well, good read, quite humorous and enlightening, even for the most basketball friendly fan. I'll give you an ELEVEN on a scale of 10. :bowdown:

Looking forward to the next installment.:D

nedleeds
12-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Mouth -> Laughter -> Coffee -> Keyboard

gth816f
12-03-2007, 09:07 PM
I do not find this funny at all. Really, I find it very sad because it mirrors how we play so accurately....

Okay, it's pretty funny. But it's still really sad.

olgoldandwhite
12-04-2007, 08:02 AM
The funny thing. The ones on here that know BB have known this for quite sometime. Great post.

chazgoat
12-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Never , ever, start the more experienced, less athletic, more basketball savvy player at PG lest he begin coaching on the floor and thereby usurp all the aforementioned sound techniques. I posted in the preseason that if Causey wasn't our starting PG, then we have much bigger problems than I thought. Well, I suppose we have problems.

AlaGold
12-17-2007, 12:33 PM
KB,
er,exactly what are you trying to say?:bowdown:

Vespidie
12-19-2007, 12:44 PM
nm