PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else going down to Hoopsfest?

WCAttyJacket
10-20-2007, 11:35 AM
I hope the fact that it is the same day as homecoming helps the crowd out a little. I am excited to see exactly what we have in Lawal, Storrs, and Miller.

It will also be interesting to see Causey. I personally think he will do a pretty good job of running the team. Obviously he won't provide the scoring of Crit, but with Clinch back that shouldn't matter as much.

gth816f
10-20-2007, 11:39 AM
I wish. I'm in Durham, and I'd be more excited for Hoopsfest than the army game, but even then it's just not worth the plane ticket back. If we had a midnight madness that a lot of people actually went to I'd come back for that but...I guess I'll just wait for the start of the season now.

I'd love a report on how everything went though.

chazgoat
10-21-2007, 02:03 PM
from a thread on Gojackets.....I'll cut /paste plus give a link as others may provide information within the thread that is useful....
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=140#s=140&f=2938&t=1258497

Here's what I saw.....
Outside shooting A+++
.....Morrow's on target, he knocked 'em down today, at least 5 or 6 three's....
.....Storrs matched AMo in that regard (knocked down at least 5 threes), he looked great and a little more complete and comfortable doing other things as compared to Amo. He looks strong and like he's ready to mix it up underneath as well.
.....Clinch knocked a couple of 3's down and looked confident doing it, he didn't shoot as much as the two guys above, but we know he's got the shot down.
.....Peacock really looked comfortable knocking down a couple of 3's as well
.....Faye looked good knocking down the 3...
It's good to know we have 5 guys who are confident taking a shot when it's there.
If there's another player that can step up and be a threat from outside they didn't show it today.

Causey looks like our starting PG and I like his game. He takes over with leadership and when he comes across the midway stripe he's in control of the team. He was being checked by Miller and he challenged him and coached him at the same time. He's a leader. He's not going to wow anyone with his physical skills but his intensity and control make you forget about it. He gets the ball to the guys with those skills, that's fine with me. He beat Mo several times and had a nice rainbow runner that fell in once out of 2 attempts at that shot. He's got a little flashy streak to his passing that will remind you of the Barry's. He's an extra coach on the floor, I think we'll be fine.

Miller, has alot of growing to do, mentally and physically. Coach was in his ear constantly. I'll be disappointed and surprised if somehow he gets thrown out there over Causey.

Lawal I did'nt notice to much and nothing stands out. I do recall seeing some good footwork and postmoves from him but that's all I can remember... I was focused on the PG play, so maybe someone else can talk to his play.

Sheehan, weak hands but he did make a couple of nice blocks. I don't see much PT from him.

Aminu, nothing big stands out, again, someone else can talk to his game. He was being coached and yelled at alot, so it seems he's just going to be one of those "needy" type players who has to be prodded all the time. I think they want alot more from him than he's giving, that's the perception I got anyway.

Jeremis and Deandre all look ready and I'm excited about this team. Dickey will be a welcome addition when he comes back as well.

Oh yeah, I think we may have a few guys on this team that can stand flat footed, jump straight up, then dunk the ball....with two hands mind you. http://media.scout.com/media/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif
my 2cents

tdb
10-22-2007, 03:53 PM
I've gone to the past five HoopsFests and it is very hard to gauge the players just from an intrasquad scrimmage. Really, it's everyone's first chance to get a look at some new faces and players who never play during the season (redshirts and transfers like Sheehan and Causey and walk-ons like Ty Anderson). These guys play against each other all the time, so they know each others' tendencies. Obviously, the true tests are against real competition when the season begins.

That said, and I posted this on the Hive too, Lance Storrs impressed the most out of the bunch. He was nailing threes like it was nobody's business. There is a lot of talk about Causey, but I'm still not sure about him. I just think we are really going to struggle at PG this year.